Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 46980 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The prequels were awesome. Taken as a whole they did everything they were supposed to do. They showed the jedi temple. They showed the origins and fall of Anakin. They showed the Clone Wars. And there weren't any stupid teddy bears fighting off walkers and stormtroopers with sticks.

Ewoks > Jar Jar, fart jokes, racist accents and Jango Fett

The prequels had two epic potential storylines: the temptation of Anakin, and the Clone Wars / near extinction of the Jedi. They didn't pay enough attention to either aspect. I could overlook the other stuff, maybe even Jar Jar, if they nailed the central elements. They didn't. Add to that the terrible acting / directing, and it was a jumbled mess.

Jango Fett was awesome, the fart jokes were only in TPM and weren't used as much as you think it did, Jar Jar wasn't that bad and honestly people couldn't decide what race that George was "offensive" so I hesitate to call them racist. YOU didn't think they were awesome, but clearly I and the poster two posts above thinks so and you know what, the acting was actually pretty good on par with the OT.

So of those are opinions, but stuff like "the acting was pretty good" is ridiculous. Natalie Portman thought the prequels would end her career, because the acting / directing / dialogue was so bad.

And no, Asian caricatures are racist.

Don't forget the Jews!  In!  Spaaaaaaaaace!

EDIT:  Haha, Googled Jews in space and this was one of the first links:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceJews

« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's interesting that Portman was concerned about her career when her acting was clearly the worst. Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson have both stated they are open to returning in stand alone films.

I think they had fun with it more, for sure.

Hayden's acting was the worst, but Portman's wasn't much better.  But, that's largely on the script and the directing.

But, honestly, I didn't think that McGregor and Neeson were close to as good as they can be.
I agree with that last sentence, and I agree the script mostly didn't do favors. I have to wonder what exactly went down with that line when Neeson is talking to Watoo and he's like "We'll be far away from here my blue friend".  I mean...nobody? Nobody said anything? Why didn't Neeson say something?

I liked Hayden way more in AOTC but it's hard to defend him. Had the looks and the moves, but that's about it.

And that's where my disappointment comes in.  I enjoyed a lot of AOTC and ROTS, and enjoyed  parts of TPM.  I can't get over that they should have been so much better!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
5 points to Gryffindor for (wow. Autocorrect knows how to spell Gryffindor) referencing Pigs in Space in a Star Wars thread successfully. (It should be noted the long relationship between the Muppets and Star Wars.)

« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2016, 07:19:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Alright....so...for the prequel haters.

Where do you rank the prequels vs Godfather 3? My thing is Godfather 3 is a fine stand alone film, but you just can't give me a borderline B+/A- following on the heels of A++++++.  To me the prequels aren't as big a let down as that. They fit in there with the other Star Wars films, if uncomfortably.

« Reply #214 on: April 10, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
5 points to Gryffindor for (wow. Autocorrect knows how to spell Gryffindor) referencing Pigs in Space in a Star Wars thread successfully. (It should be noted the long relationship between the Muppets and Star Wars.)

Pigs in Space was itself a play on Jews in Space from the end of Mel Brooks' History of the World Part I, which also heavily referenced Star Wars. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cy9HeM8QQc

...now I wanna watch Spaceballs.

EDIT:  Well after looking up the dates I completely reversed it, Pigs in Space came first.  Every day's a school day!

« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Where do you rank the prequels vs Godfather 3? My thing is Godfather 3 is a fine stand alone film, but you just can't give me a borderline B+/A- following on the heels of A++++++.  To me the prequels aren't as big a let down as that. They fit in there with the other Star Wars films, if uncomfortably.

At least Godfather 3 has one great line, right?

Otherwise, it joins the list of movies that I choose to believe don't exist, like Rocky V.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The prequels were on the same level as the origibal trilogy - they were entertaining, yet mindless and terribly acted.

Thise who complain about the acting in the prequels - have you not seen the originals? My god.  The acting in those films was an absolute joke. 

I think Han Solo and Chewbacca were the only characters in the original trilogy that werent horribly acted.

If anything the prequels were probably more thought provoking then either TFA or the originals, and i felt the action scenes were also far superior. 

Some of the scripting and acting was "roll my eyes" worthy, and Jar Jar (and the whole Gungan race) was annoying...but its not as of the originals were free of "rolling eyes" moments.

Hell if you look at some of the most iconic moments of the original trilogy, many of there are borderline laughable in retrospect.  The "i am your father" scene was so poorly acted, and so terribly monotone on Darth Vader's part that it seemed like he didn't even care what happened to Luke.  I thought the trilogy did a much better job of portraying Anakin/Vader as the wreckless, emotional and highly unstable person he is supposed to be.  In the origonals he just comes across as an pretty indifferent guy with abad temper.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:16:57 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2016, 10:58:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

At least Godfather 3 has one great line, right?

Otherwise, it joins the list of movies that I choose to believe don't exist, like Rocky V.
Eja's point actually brings up an interesting question... would Sofia Copolla have out-acted the cast of Phantom Menace?

« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
It is CAMP....CAMP, I say.  Like Las Vegas, Disneyland, or "Rocky Horror Picture Show"...not meant to be deep intellectual works.  If you are trying to turn them into life changing events, you are probably missing the point.  Pure mindless entertainment. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It is CAMP....CAMP, I say.  Like Las Vegas, Disneyland, or "Rocky Horror Picture Show"...not meant to be deep intellectual works.  If you are trying to turn them into life changing events, you are probably missing the point.  Pure mindless entertainment.
i get what you're saying, but none of the Star Wars movies are really considered part of the camp genre.  Sci fi adventure.  And that doesn't explain why one would be critically acclaimed and the other bashed.  You can have acclaimed movies in that genre like "guardians of the Galaxy".  But if your movie has wooden acting, terrible pacing, boring and unnecessary segments about niche politics, misguided cgi comic relief character, awful writing, fundamentally broken storytelling like the lack of a definable protagonist, plastic characters without describable characteristics, etc... It's going to get dumped on by any reviewer not lulled into a giddy haze by flashy glow-stick battles.   A movie like phantom menace received warranted criticism.   On the flip side, a movie like episode 7 was generally liked by audiences precisely because it covered familiar ground, was filled with fun moments, and had a tried and true story arc that's been battle tested since the origin of storytelling.   Still, someone's personal preference doesn't have to align with what is considered quality.  If you liked phantom menace more than episode 7, it's fine.  Whatever floats your boat.  It's ok to like bad moves.

« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think Marvel is in the campy category. I mean the raccoon and if a Howard the duck appearance I heard was true I mean that's as campy as you can get.  I think Star Wars is not QUITE campy but not deep or anything. Just your general hero's journey and mostly light fun.

« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I actually think Mark Hamill was great in a popcorn trilogy. I thought especially in Empire his interactions with a puppet made yoda yoda very believable in those moments. I don't even think Harrison ford could pull that kind of thing off as well as Hamill did.