Author Topic: Rondo's Great Start?  (Read 7143 times)

Re: Rondo's Great Start?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
You are dumbfounded by the media hyping Rondo and you are here to challenge it.. interesting.

Well I disagree and believe he's been dominant(I own that word) and you are missing a lot if you are using stats to back your claim.

I've been dumbfounded by their reaction to the first two games he played.  I've been the one giving him the hype.

I figured this post might be taken the wrong way.  Like I said, I think he's been very good for this team, very early in the season.  I was just surprised to see the descriptions in the media being so glowing because I think he is just getting started and he is going to perform better.

My mistake I thought you were saying he didn't deserve the props he was getting from media. If it's just that you are dumbfounded because they see it like you and than I agree.

They don't see it like me.  I don't think he's been outstanding or downright brilliant yet.  Those words have been used in the papers.  I think eventually he will be, but he hasn't been yet.

So I was correct in the first place.  I'll stick with the media on this one.  As sad as that actually sounds.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
You are dumbfounded by the media hyping Rondo and you are here to challenge it.. interesting.

Well I disagree and believe he's been dominant(I own that word) and you are missing a lot if you are using stats to back your claim.

I've been dumbfounded by their reaction to the first two games he played.  I've been the one giving him the hype.

I figured this post might be taken the wrong way.  Like I said, I think he's been very good for this team, very early in the season.  I was just surprised to see the descriptions in the media being so glowing because I think he is just getting started and he is going to perform better.

My mistake I thought you were saying he didn't deserve the props he was getting from media. If it's just that you are dumbfounded because they see it like you and than I agree.

They don't see it like me.  I don't think he's been outstanding or downright brilliant yet.  Those words have been used in the papers.  I think eventually he will be, but he hasn't been yet.

I agree.. Brilliant is a pretty big stretch at this point. He's looked really solid, no doubt but he still hasn't come near brilliant. He was outstanding in the playoffs, but he has yet to reach that point yet this season. He'll probably start looking better and more agressive on offense, but till then some people need to hold back the praise.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Its hard to be brilliant when you're the fourth option.

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 12:39:38 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
I agree with the OP.  Rondo's play has not warranted the level of discussion it seems to be getting.  I have watched Parker, Williams, Billups, and Paul on TV recently.  These are the elite and Rondo is not there.  Saying that Rondo is a $8-$10M per year PG is saying a lot.  He's good and a great fit for the Celtics but without a better outside shot, he is what he is.  I just don't feel he is elite and they seem to talk about him as one of the elite.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Its hard to be brilliant when you're the fourth option.

Yet he frequently accomplished that last year.

I don't think he's played as well as we'll see from him but he is (unsurprisingly) playing a little more solidly or maturely than he did last year, a good sign. But I don't think that when he plays his best it necessarily shows up in his stats. He doesn't need to score 20 to dominate a game.

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I've been a little dumbfounded by the media coverage for Rajon Rondo during the first two games of the season.  I've heard things such as "outstanding" and "downright brilliant."  While I think he's been solid, these descriptions don't come to my mind right away.

So far Rajon's averaging 9 points, 10.5 assists, and 4.5 rebounds.  The assists are the only numbers that I would say are where I expect them to be for Rajon this year.  I think his points and rebounds should be higher. 

4.5 Rebounds for a point guard isn't enough? ???
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I've been a little dumbfounded by the media coverage for Rajon Rondo during the first two games of the season.  I've heard things such as "outstanding" and "downright brilliant."  While I think he's been solid, these descriptions don't come to my mind right away.

So far Rajon's averaging 9 points, 10.5 assists, and 4.5 rebounds.  The assists are the only numbers that I would say are where I expect them to be for Rajon this year.  I think his points and rebounds should be higher. 

Usually, it would be.. I just think we've come to expect a little bit more from Rondo in that category.

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »

Offline Celtics1990

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 49
He is taking excellent care of the ball. His assist to turnover ratio is seven to one.  Grant it it has only been two games but still.
UBUNTU

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
yes Celtics1990
and adding to that
his points could be 3 or 4 up the actual ones but there are just too many scorers AND rebounders in this team
Of course his personal stats will suffer
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 01:25:51 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

That is more than enough.  This is a point guard we're talking about.  A small one, at that.  He's capable of getting 5 per game, but its not really in his job description.  Its a bonus.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
His game against the Cavs was good. His game against Charlotte was brilliant, he absolutely toyed with them. Sure it's only been two games, but it's been a great two games overall. Think about how well he's starting off this year and how he progressed through the season last year. He's playing the game the right way right now and doing more with the same minutes he had last year. He's only going to get better and better as the season goes on.

He's definitely making Ainge think right now.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

That is more than enough.  This is a point guard we're talking about.  A small one, at that.  He's capable of getting 5 per game, but its not really in his job description.  Its a bonus.
He's only rebounding at a slightly reduced rate this year, and its only been two games. If he rebounds at this rate for the entire year he'll still be a top 3 rebounding PG in the league.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Look at his TO's, look at his defense, and look at his assist numbers. Don't get spoiled he's playing really well.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 01:53:47 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
His game against the Cavs was good. His game against Charlotte was brilliant, he absolutely toyed with them. Sure it's only been two games, but it's been a great two games overall. Think about how well he's starting off this year and how he progressed through the season last year. He's playing the game the right way right now and doing more with the same minutes he had last year. He's only going to get better and better as the season goes on.

He's definitely making Ainge think right now.

I don't know how much more he's making Ainge think since Rondo's main problem overall has been consistency. He's put up together group of games much more impressive than the last two games.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have to agree that he hasn't been, 'brilliant'. If this is all you want from Rondo, then you don't know what this guy's real potential is. When the big three is gone, he is going to be expected to do a lot more, especially in scoring. He was brilliant and dominant in last year's playoffs and he's been very very good so far. I agree he isn't the top option on this team, so he isn't going to score 20+, but he probably could be a little more aggressive taking it to the hoop. Although he has been passing well, I feel like many of his assists have come off of other player's jumpshots...