Author Topic: ESPN "Seven trades for Kawhi." Ridiculous.  (Read 5380 times)

Re: ESPN "Seven trades for Kawhi." Ridiculous.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Ingram has a lot of potential though and played pretty darn well down the stretch.  I doubt he alone is enough for Leonard, but he probably is very highly thought of around the league.  Most likely more highly thought of then Brown as an example. 

Yeah, I'm sure that people around the league think more highly of the beanpole with inefficient scoring and no defense over the player who showed versatile defense and composure while scoring 18 points per game for a team that came within one quarter of making the Finals.

The bolded isn't actually true, by the way.  Ingram still struggles from the line, but his shooting has improved a lot particularly from deep.  And he uses his length well on defense. 

Ingram is a very good prospect.  I wouldn't take him over Brown, but it's closer than this board wants to believe - perhaps even a push.

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ingram has a lot of potential though and played pretty darn well down the stretch.  I doubt he alone is enough for Leonard, but he probably is very highly thought of around the league.  Most likely more highly thought of then Brown as an example.  he isn't in the Simmons class of prospect I don't think, but he probably isn't that far behind him either.

??  Ingram didn't play down the stretch. He sat out 20 of their last 22 games.

More highly thought of than Brown after Brown's playoff performance? Perhaps, by some.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Brown for Ingram straight up. My impression, admittedly having only watched Ingram a handful of games, is that Ingram has a higher potential as a shooter, but isn't the athlete, and nowhere near the defender Brown is. If I had to bet my life on one of them becoming a perennial all star, I'd take Brown.
I meant down his stretch and it is probably a good thing you don't have to bet your life on Brown as it probably wouldn't end well for you.

The Lakers were 16-7 in his last 23 games (16-10 in 2018).  In January he went for 14.2/5.5/3.8 and shot 36.4% from 3.  In February he upped those numbers to 18.6/5.2/5.6 and 52.2% from 3.  He only played 3 games in March, but still shot 50% from 3.

There was a lot to like with Ingram and the Lakers were winning when he was playing.  Now again, I don't think he is a Simmons/Tatum type of prospect, but I think he is pretty clearly in the Brown level and I would suspect most of the league probably has him ranked higher than Brown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Jaylen Brown had a better second season than Ingram. Very similar offensive stats with Brown having the better total shooting% stat and Ingram the better assist rate. However, Brown is the better defender and the overall advanced stats favor Brown.

http://bkref.com/tiny/TCnJv

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ingram has a lot of potential though and played pretty darn well down the stretch.  I doubt he alone is enough for Leonard, but he probably is very highly thought of around the league.  Most likely more highly thought of then Brown as an example.  he isn't in the Simmons class of prospect I don't think, but he probably isn't that far behind him either.

More highly thought of than Brown after Brown's playoff performance? Perhaps, by some.

Personally, I wouldn't trade Brown for Ingram straight up. My impression, admittedly having only watched Ingram a handful of games, is that Ingram has a higher potential as a shooter, but isn't the athlete, and nowhere near the defender Brown is. If I had to bet my life on one of them becoming a perennial all star, I'd take Brown.
I meant down his stretch and it is probably a good thing you don't have to bet your life on Brown as it probably wouldn't end well for you.

The Lakers were 16-7 in his last 23 games (16-10 in 2018).  In January he went for 14.2/5.5/3.8 and shot 36.4% from 3.  In February he upped those numbers to 18.6/5.2/5.6 and 52.2% from 3.  He only played 3 games in March, but still shot 50% from 3.

There was a lot to like with Ingram and the Lakers were winning when he was playing.  Now again, I don't think he is a Simmons/Tatum type of prospect, but I think he is pretty clearly in the Brown level and I would suspect most of the league probably has him ranked higher than Brown.

This is cherrypicking stats.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Or maybe it shows that the player that was considered very raw as a result of his age was turning the corner.  Maybe those last 2 months were a fluke.  Only time will tell, but there is a very real and distinct reason that everyone knew Simmons was going 1 and Ingram was going 2 in that draft and then it was a take your pick from the next 6 guys at 3-8. 

Ingram is almost a full year younger than Brown as well. 

I suspect if you polled NBA persons, in a redraft Ingram still goes 2.  Brown almost certainly goes 3 (whereas he wouldn't have at near the frequency closer to that draft). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
End of the day cant see it happen nor Leonard comfortable with the Boston media

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Or maybe it shows that the player that was considered very raw as a result of his age was turning the corner.  Maybe those last 2 months were a fluke.  Only time will tell, but there is a very real and distinct reason that everyone knew Simmons was going 1 and Ingram was going 2 in that draft and then it was a take your pick from the next 6 guys at 3-8. 

I suspect if you polled NBA persons, in a redraft Ingram still goes 2.  Brown almost certainly goes 3 (whereas he wouldn't have at near the frequency closer to that draft).

No, you cherrypicked 23 games out of a season to make the case that Ingram is better than Brown. 23 games aren't enough to make that claim like that especially given that it's at odds with the stats for the whole season.

I suspect you don't know what a poll of NBA GMs would say about who they would pick.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 09:27:55 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

You're actually using his going 4 for 7 in March as a reason to suggest he's better than Brown. KGLL level of ridiculous.

Averaging 18.6 a game in one month against mostly awful competition in meaningless games is more relevant than Jaylen scoring 18/game in the playoffs........ Good call.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 09:45:21 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

It could be a sign of his talent level, sure, but it's also cherry picking. Ingram made 41 three pointers the entire season... you can't go slice that down to a month and read much into it. If anything Brown has proven more as an outside shooter with 3x the makes at a higher percentage. Of course they are both young and projections are hard so it's not crazy to prefer Ingram long-term.

16/5/4 and a sweet stroke at age 20, I'd love to have him. If he learns to defend, watch out. I think you'd have a healthy debate among GMs.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

While he certainly is lacking in the athleticism department, what's even worse is that, in terms of agility/quickness, dude is really only rivaled by Kyle Anderson, imo, LOL. Had Ingram been white, I'm honestly unsure as to whether or not he even would have been drafted in 2016.

On the other hand, had he been a European prospect, I'm sure that everyone would have been gushing over his skill level ::). Give me a break.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 10:59:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
ESPN did one of their "Seven trades we'd like to see for Kawhi Leonard" articles:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23295190/kawhi-leonard-trades-see-san-antonio-spurs-make-nba

I occasionally sense an underlying belief around here that ESPN has it in for Boston teams. Sometimes I just laugh it off, sometimes it hits home.

But what's with these trade suggestions? For example, they have Philly giving up Fultz, Covington and the No. 10 pick for Leonard. Portland gives up McCollum and a first. The Lakers give up Deng, Ball and Kuzma. Miami gives up pieces: Dragic, Richardson, Winslow, Adebayo.

I'm not saying that there aren't some decent prospects or players in that grouping, but here's what they suggest the Celtics give up:

Trade #1: Kyrie, 2018 #27 and "whatever other picks get the deal done."

Trade #2: Terry and Hayward for Kawhi and Mills.

Seriously? Prospects or decent players from everyone else, stars from the Celtics? DeMar DeRozan is the only other player they suggest that comes close.

I don't know who comes up with these ideas, but they need some help.*

Mike

*On the other hand, maybe they don't need help. They clearly did their job by getting me to click on the article and re-post it.

Why seven trades, though? Is this some kind of ESPN/Kevin Bacon spin-off?

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 11:33:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

While he certainly is lacking in the athleticism department, what's even worse is that, in terms of agility/quickness, dude is really only rivaled by Kyle Anderson, imo, LOL. Had Ingram been white, I'm honestly unsure as to whether or not he even would have been drafted in 2016.

On the other hand, had he been a European prospect, I'm sure that everyone would have been gushing over his skill level ::). Give me a break.
Hey don’t you diss Slow-Mo!

People were still gushing over his skill level when he was at college. I remember the days when people were saying things like “would you rather draft LeBron (Simmons) or Durant (Ingram)?” Good times!
I don’t think anyone would even consider taking Ingram over Brown, and after next season I can see Brown being on the same tier as Simmons
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
We don't need Kawhi with all that baggage...AND the amount of money he'll get.

Tatum/Brown/Hayward are just fine.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
LOL. That Philly one is laughably bad, but that Miami one?? That's beyond delirious

One of the comments had me cackling though. Gotta give it to the ESPN crowd for being absolutely moronic
There is absolutely no way the Sixers would put Dario Saric in this deal and if they did, there would be a revolt among Sixers fans ... Plus give up Markelle Fultz and a first-round pick? Seriously? Oh and Jarryd Bayless? I will send him to the Spurs just for playing! First Saric is the heart of the Sixers team. Secondly, once Fultz is healthy, you will have a Ben Simmons-like player who will better defense.

Talk about out of touch with reality, rofl. Really puts some of the bad takes you see on here in perspective. I've never been more appreciative of celticsblog

ROFL that stuff is rich!!! ;D

That was discovered to be Brian Colangelo.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 12:15:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
LOL. That Philly one is laughably bad, but that Miami one?? That's beyond delirious

One of the comments had me cackling though. Gotta give it to the ESPN crowd for being absolutely moronic
There is absolutely no way the Sixers would put Dario Saric in this deal and if they did, there would be a revolt among Sixers fans ... Plus give up Markelle Fultz and a first-round pick? Seriously? Oh and Jarryd Bayless? I will send him to the Spurs just for playing! First Saric is the heart of the Sixers team. Secondly, once Fultz is healthy, you will have a Ben Simmons-like player who will better defense.

Talk about out of touch with reality, rofl. Really puts some of the bad takes you see on here in perspective. I've never been more appreciative of celticsblog

ROFL that stuff is rich!!! ;D

That was discovered to be Brian Colangelo.
Actually it was his wife. Lol