Author Topic: FIBA's 3-on-3 Proposal  (Read 17293 times)

Re: FIBA's 3-on-3 Proposal
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Great idea. There are some fundamental differences between 3 on 3 and 5 on 5. 3 on 3 doesn't require the ability to run the full length of the court, gives no time for resting, doesn't have fast breaks so there is almost always defense to contend with, and requires you to make stops (assuming to retain the ball after scoring). Would there be foul shooting? How can gratuitous fouling be limited without foul shots?

I'm also thinking that the winning score would have to be pretty high.

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Absolutely not. What next? 3 on 3 hockey? 2 on 2 baseball with ghost runners?  Tee ball? Olympic 21? 1 on 1 football with optional automatic QB?  WWE wrestling?

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I personally would like to see as many events in basketball as their are in swimming.

So the 8 length of the quart dribbling relay

3 point contest

dunk contest

one on one championships

trick shot (where judges assign a degree of difficulty and then judge based on execution)

The all arounds competition

and rythmic basketball.  Its a team competition where you play a game while simultaneously twirling a ribbon

Actually having a dunk contest in the Olympics might be a great way to get the best dunkers to compete again.

We all know the NBA dunk contest is stale, and the best dunkers rarely compete, and when they do they're not facing any other great dunkers.  A gold medal might motivate guys, and occurring only once every 4 years would keep it and the crop of players fresh.  And players that complain about the grind of the Olympics can skip all that and just opt to compete in the dunk contest instead.

Let's see what they could have looked like:

The 2000 contest could have been largely the same as the NBA one, Carter, Francis, TMac, but add in Kobe too.

In 2004: maybe you still have Carter, TMac, and Kobe, add in LeBron, Shawn Marion, Amare, Dwyane Wade.

In 2008: Lebron and Dwight, with Gerald Green, Nate Robinson, Josh Smith, Dwyane Wade.  Think about that, Gerald Green could get an Olympic gold medal.

In 2012: LeBron' says this will be his last year competing, but he's going up against Blake Griffin.  Maybe Kevin Durant and James Harden too.

And you throw in some of the great international leapers and non-NBAers I'm sure are out there, this would be awesome.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Rhythmic basketball could be cool.

If the Olympics have taught us anything, that people will watch any event that's on tv, no matter how boring or stupid, once every 4 years, as long as it's under the banner of the "Olympics."

Seriously though, I hate the idea of 3x3.  I don't think it's really entertaining.

I used to be a big basketball junkie, would watch small local college games, would watch pro-ams, would watch high school games, etc.  Never have I had any desire to go out and watch the finals of Hoop It Up.

Hey I actually just looked it up, the Hoop It Up World Championships are actually being held this weekend!  I'm sure people who support it as an Olympic sport will be attentively watching or searching for results.

Wow, there's already a USA team.  ::)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Howard, Durant, LeBron... Game Over.

Chance to compete my left nut.

An infant could coach that team to victory.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wow, there's already a USA team.  ::)

Pssh, they're trotting Adesanya out there?  What is this, amateur hour??  I hope they bring a personal masseuse for Tyree Hardge because he's gonna get awfully sore carrying that clown all tournament long.

I have no idea who any of these people are

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'll put $300 on Larry, Kevin McHale, and Ainge over MJ, Pippen, and Rodman. I don't care if they're all 100 years old.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not sold on it.  next it'll be that crap version with the trampolines.

how dare you talk trash about slamball!
even naming it after me doesn't make it less crappy   ;)

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
not sold on it.  next it'll be that crap version with the trampolines.

how dare you talk trash about slamball!
I know right?  I couldn't believe that.  I thought everybody loved slamball.

3 on 3 is my preference for streetball, but I'm not sure how it would translate to the pros.  I think 4 on 4 would be a lot more interesting (better defense and less isolation).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Olympic 1-on-1's would be epic fun.  Have 3-player groupings per country: 1 guard, 1 wing, 1 center.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think this is a good idea. Swimming has team races and also have individual races. It'd be cool if they could have an individual skills challenge where you perform dribbling maneuvers within 24 second and are deducted based on losing control or carries. I don't know how entertaining it'd be for everyone else but i think it'd be entertaining.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:14:56 PM by xmuscularghandix »

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I love it.  I think that half court, 3 on 3 basketball is a great game.  Personally, I prefer it to full court, five on five (to play).

As someone who has spent a lot of my life playing 3 on 3 games on playgrounds and in gyms, I'm hurt that people are comparing it to a game with a trampoline.  3 on 3 Ball is a staple of the game of basketball.  It's been played well and competitively on playgrounds across our country for a very long time.  3 on 3 is legit, as far as I'm concerned. 

I think it would make a great Olympic sport. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I say they eliminate dressage at the Olympics and replace it with Olympic H.O.R.S.E.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:49:44 PM by LooseCannon »
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Don't you think an immobile center with moves in the post could match up well against Howard in 3 on 3? Lebron would be hard to stay in front of, but so will many other players. With no fast breaks, Lebron's greatest offensive value is gone.

There could be some fundamental differences in effective styles in 3 on 3, similar to differences between 100 meter dash and 1600 meter runs. I could see a guy with a style like Brandon Roy kill people in 3 on 3 as he continually works out a good shot with help defense being so dangerous with only 3 players.

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Don't you think an immobile center with moves in the post could match up well against Howard in 3 on 3? Lebron would be hard to stay in front of, but so will many other players. With no fast breaks, Lebron's greatest offensive value is gone.

There could be some fundamental differences in effective styles in 3 on 3, similar to differences between 100 meter dash and 1600 meter runs. I could see a guy with a style like Brandon Roy kill people in 3 on 3 as he continually works out a good shot with help defense being so dangerous with only 3 players.

Ray Allen, Timmy D, Paul Pierce  bench KG for the win.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!