Author Topic: Shavlik: Today is decision time  (Read 28547 times)

Re: Shavlik: Today is decision time
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Six pages of debate on a guy who's played 305 minutes of NBA ball in the last six years. Yep, I guess we're in rebuilding mode...

Honestly, I think it is just a symptom of the worst part of the off season.  After draft, most of free agency and summer league but before training camp.  At this point, I'm happy to talk about anything related to basketball. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Six pages of debate on a guy who's played 305 minutes of NBA ball in the last six years. Yep, I guess we're in rebuilding mode...

plus the draft and summer league have ended, but training camp and the regular season are not here yet. we have to blog and blah about something.  ;D

at least this thread involves some stats and analysis. those are nice to see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Honestly, I think it is just a symptom of the worst part of the off season.  After draft, most of free agency and summer league but before training camp.  At this point, I'm happy to talk about anything related to basketball. 

plus the draft and summer league have ended, but training camp and the regular season are not here yet. we have to blog and blah about something.  ;D

at least this thread involves some stats and analysis. those are nice to see.

I agree with you both. It's a slow time of year. But (and maybe I'm remembering things differently in hindsight) I think at the same point in 09-10 we were probably talking about what it would take to get back to the Finals.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm here for the long haul.

I'm with you also hwangjini on the level of discussion. For me, overall there's been a big uptick in the last few weeks, across the board.

Given the choice, I'd certainly rather discuss Shav's per-36 averages than any aspect of the Doc soap opera, for example. I guess that's a positive development.

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

The ten pages on a Brazilian center who has never played in the NBA didn't clue you to that already???

:)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think anyone has really answered this, but if the choice is between waiving Shavlik Randolph or sending out a second round pick to get rid of Jordan Crawford, who would rather keep Randolph and who would rather keep the pick?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think anyone has really answered this, but if the choice is between waiving Shavlik Randolph or sending out a second round pick to get rid of Jordan Crawford, who would rather keep Randolph and who would rather keep the pick?

If thats all it takes to get rid of Crawford, I think it might already have been done.  But, to play along, I send out Crawford and the pick everytime.

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
The Celtics will have 3 elite rebounders this year.  Jared Sullinger, Kris Humphries and Shavlik Randolph.  I'm really looking forward to that.  I think Danny can move Crawford and Randolph for nothing any time he wants.  I think he is waiting for the best deal as he doesn't have to do anything for almost 3 months.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson

« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
The Celtics will have 3 elite rebounders this year.  Jared Sullinger, Kris Humphries and Shavlik Randolph.  I'm really looking forward to that.
Indeed. We'll probably lead the league in offensive rebounds, from the combination of 1) people who are elite rebounders and 2) people who hurl up bricks. Wallace, Bradley, Crawford/Brooks and Rondo will be feeding Sully, Hump, and Shav.

This post is only half-kidding.

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Players ahead of Randolph in the rotation include Sullinger, Olynyk, Bass, and Humphries. Aside from that, Faverani and Melo are under contract. Randolph is 30 years old, isn't better than any of the listed players, and can be cut for no cost. Not only am I not giving up resources to keep him on the roster, but I'm amazed he hasn't been waived yet.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The Celtics will have 3 elite rebounders this year.  Jared Sullinger, Kris Humphries and Shavlik Randolph.  I'm really looking forward to that.
Indeed. We'll probably lead the league in offensive rebounds, from the combination of 1) people who are elite rebounders and 2) people who hurl up bricks. Wallace, Bradley, Crawford/Brooks and Rondo will be feeding Sully, Hump, and Shav.

This post is only half-kidding.
Yes, in the rebounding half.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I was just rolling with it. Maybe it's one elite and two "pretty good". Shav and Sully do seem to have a nose for the ORebs, though.

Now I need to find out who Don Chaney is.

« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I was just rolling with it. Maybe it's one elite and two "pretty good". Shav and Sully do seem to have a nose for the ORebs, though.

I'd go with one pretty good and two decent.

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney

I'd go with one pretty good and two decent.

Last year, all three of them are were in the top 40 of all NBA players in rebounding rate.  Shavlik is 11th in the league.  Kris Humpries is 30th.  Sullinger is 37th.  KG for comparison was 79th.  For power-forwards they are ranked 4th, 10th and 14th.  KG comes in at 32nd.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:07:49 PM by Yogi »
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson

« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2013, 05:13:57 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Humphries more of a one trick poney. If he stays you can bet it is to fill in once Humphries is traded for a PG or SF. Much more versatile which raises the question of how Humphries is making so much in the first place.

« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Players ahead of Randolph in the rotation include Sullinger, Olynyk, Bass, and Humphries. Aside from that, Faverani and Melo are under contract. Randolph is 30 years old, isn't better than any of the listed players, and can be cut for no cost. Not only am I not giving up resources to keep him on the roster, but I'm amazed he hasn't been waived yet.

I'm not convinced that Melo is better than Shav. Better shot blocker? Yes. Better player? I'm skeptical. He certainly seems less coordinated than Shav.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis