Author Topic: Mannix on WEEI (Al Horford)  (Read 6538 times)

Re: Mannix on WEEI (Al Horford)
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If at all possible, I'd try to avoid including KO in the deal.  Kelly and Horford would be a nightmare for defenses.  So much skill and intelligence in that combo. Would be a lot of fun to watch.

I'd be surprised if a team like Denver outbids the Celts.  It makes sense for the Celts to take some risk with Horford now because they might have a legitimate chance of winning a couple playoff series if they add Horford this year.  There's no rush for Denver.  They aren't going anywhere this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't know - if you look at last year's Rondo trade, Dallas didn't give up two firsts. I would prefer one non-BKN first and the Minny 2nds. There is no guarantee we keep him at almost $30M / yr next year.

And no, I don't really think Horford is worth any more this year than Rondo was last. He is still very good, but he has declined slightly. It is not only the package we would have to put together, but whether or not we want to pay him $20M more per year than Sully.

Rondo wasn't playing as well as Horford is right now as well.

I would also do the deal as laid out.

Also, Crowder was a nice addition -- at this point easily more valuable than the 1st we got.

His play was the unexpected bonus of the trade. 

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:54 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Our non-Brooklyn picks are far from a sure thing.  I would gamble two of them, KO, and Sully.  I imagine DA can get a feel for whether re-signing him is probable. It's not a guarantee, but if DA thinks he'll re-sign, I think that gives us as good a chance as the things we are giving up.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Sully and two non Brooklyn firsts?  That would be fantastic if we can sign him.
That's a huge if and if that's not the case I'm out.

I assume Danny will get to speak to him before the trade and get some indication of Horford's intentions.

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 12:21:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Celtics would be the front-runners to sign Horford if they look like a title contender with him.  The Celtics will probably look like a legitimate contender with Horford.

Given the right price, standing pat is like taking a long two and trading for Horford is like taking a step back and launching a three.  You might be more likely to miss, but you have bigger reward when you hit.  Ainge is the sort of GM who understands that you shouldn't be too risk-averse while being smart enough to usually avoid stupid risks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
The Celtics would be the front-runners to sign Horford if they look like a title contender with him.  The Celtics will probably look like a legitimate contender with Horford.

Given the right price, standing pat is like taking a long two and trading for Horford is like taking a step back and launching a three.  You might be more likely to miss, but you have bigger reward when you hit.  Ainge is the sort of GM who understands that you shouldn't be too risk-averse while being smart enough to usually avoid stupid risks.

This is a great way of putting it.  I also think shooting for 3 here wouldn't even require risking THAT much which is great.

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
- Said the c's are absolutely interested in trading for Horford
- Denver might be our biggest competition to land Horfod
- They should trade for Horford now because everyone will have cap space in the off-season
- Trade would be something like KO or Sully, Lee , 2 1st rd picks (not brk)
- Says Horford is worth max because he is top 10 big man in league and can attract other fa's
- Not giving up Smart in Horford trade

WTH?  That's it?

That would be unreal if true.
It wouldn't be unreal.  That's more than we got for Rondo with similar risk attached.  Horford can bail this summer. 

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
- They should trade for Horford now because everyone will have cap space in the off-season
- Says Horford is worth max because he is top 10 big man in league and can attract other fa's

WTH?  That's it?

It wouldn't be unreal.  That's more than we got for Rondo with similar risk attached.  Horford can bail this summer.

If they can get someone the caliber Horford without giving up any of the BKN picks (which everyone knows we have), that's a pretty unreal concept in my eyes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

WTH?  That's it?

If they can get someone the caliber Horford without giving up any of the BKN picks (which everyone knows we have), that's a pretty unreal concept in my eyes.
On the flip side, renting horford for 30-40 games at that price is pretty unreal.

I wouldn't give up a Brooklyn pick in this trade.  Atlanta doesn't have that kind of leverage.  They can take sully and a 1st or watch him sign with us this summer leaving them with nothing. 

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Now you guys want to exclude KO from this deal ?  Really ?  For Horford ?

Are you guys ever going to give up something to get something ?  I don't see how Atlanta gives up Horford for just:

KO or Sully, Lee , 2 1st rd picks (not brk)

To me, that's stealing even if you included both KO & Sullinger.  It's Al Horford.  A legit BIG in a league that struggles to employ good big men.  Horford is an All Star BIG. 

If I'm Atlanta I ask for at least 1 Brooklyn pick or no deal.

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I can't see trading for Horford.  I don't mind the player but there is too much risk we lose him.  Why not just sign him in the off season?  If he is going to hold out for a super max deal that only his current team can offer, then let someone else overpay.  With his injury history, he is not the guy I want to use one of our valuable max slots on.

I would say that Atlanta does not intend to offer that or thinks he won't take it or else why would they trade him.  I think no matter where he gets traded (if he gets traded) he signs where he wants to sign and the team that trades for him will not have any advantage.

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

WTH?  That's it?

Agreed.  Although I also thought getting a talent like IT4 for a late 1st rounder was a pretty unreal concept.

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:38 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
I can't see trading for Horford.  I don't mind the player but there is too much risk we lose him.  Why not just sign him in the off season?  If he is going to hold out for a super max deal that only his current team can offer, then let someone else overpay.  With his injury history, he is not the guy I want to use one of our valuable max slots on.

I would say that Atlanta does not intend to offer that or thinks he won't take it or else why would they trade him.  I think no matter where he gets traded (if he gets traded) he signs where he wants to sign and the team that trades for him will not have any advantage.

Because your competing with other teams to just 'sign' him, and you know how well free agency treats a city like Boston.

Get him in here via trade, sell him on the organization, and give him the max.  That's the better way to actually keep him long term.

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Having a guy like Kelly is important to how the Celts want to play, and he'd be excellent next to Horford.  That'd really help take the team to the next level.

Giving up Kelly when there's no guarantee Horford won't leave this summer feels like too much of a risk to me, as crazy as that might sound since we're talking about acquiring a perennial All-Star candidate.

I'd be willing to give up the 2018 BRK 1st if Atlanta sent a lesser 1st back our way (e.g. one of their own picks), if it meant not having to include Kelly in the deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

WTH?  That's it?

This is the right deal for both sides, but only with Sully not KO. Reasons:

1) Olynyk and Horford fit well together;
2) Sully and Millsap fit well together;
3) The Cs NEED to trade a couple of picks before the draft -- Ainge won't hesitate to ship out the Dallas and Philly picks, or even our pick;
4) It's a better overall package of player / picks in the 2016 draft than virtually any other team can offer;
5) As Mannix properly points out, Ainge will be more than willing to overpay Horford to stay, considering how hard it is to get players like Horford to sign in Boston in the first place, and how it may affect Boston's ability to sign another max FA.

footnote: I do not see Ainge giving up either Olynyk or Smart in a Horford deal.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:53:51 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)