Author Topic: UFC 196  (Read 5353 times)

UFC 196
« on: March 06, 2016, 01:16:27 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Thank God someone shut Conor McGregor up. I could not stand that guy. And though the Diaz brothers aren't generally well-liked, I was sincerely hoping for this.

When I was fighting MMA several years back, one of my trainers trained with the Diaz brothers in California for awhile. He said they were the most white trash people you would ever meet, but they were funny as hell and some of the hardest workers he'd ever met.

It's pretty cool that Tate beat Holm, too. That makes for an interesting triad at the top there with Rousey beating Tate twice, Tate beating Holm, and Holm beating Rousey.

Re: UFC 196
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 01:29:15 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tp Jpotter. Connor made a horrible mistake fighting at 170 pounds. Size wins again in a fight.  Nate walks around at 190 pounds. Nate just has more natural power. Connor should have never got into a brawl with Diaz, which is what happened.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 01:30:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I watch ufc like once a year and it seems like every time I do the guy everyone calls an unstoppable phenom ends up getting rocked.  I hadn't heard of mcgregor before tonight but based on how confident everyone in our party was, I was pretty much expecting him to lose.

Too bad.  Everyone told me he was the Irish Muhammad Ali.  I was told to expect some pretty funny post-victory comments.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 01:32:59 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
McGregor get props for fighting up. Diaz was clearly bigger.

And McGregor landed some heavy hits that would had finished off smaller guys but Diaz just ate them.

I really don't think this loss hurts Mcgregor's legacy.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:36:34 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I watch ufc like once a year and it seems like every time I do the guy everyone calls an unstoppable phenom ends up getting rocked.  I hadn't heard of mcgregor before tonight but based on how confident everyone in our party was, I was pretty much expecting him to lose.

Too bad.  Everyone told me he was the Irish Muhammad Ali.  I was told to expect some pretty funny post-victory comments.
Someone who loosely follows the UFC would be surprised by this result but it really wasn't a surprise. McGregor has knockout power but Diaz being 20 pounds heavier was able to absorb his punches.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:45:19 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Well, you got them from Diaz lol

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:47:47 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Someone who loosely follows the UFC would be surprised by this result but it really wasn't a surprise. McGregor has knockout power but Diaz being 20 pounds heavier was able to absorb his punches.

That and McGregor is pretty much useless once he's off of his feet. His legendary chin wasn't all that great when he was going against bigger guys. Don't undersell Diaz, either. Diaz is a very, very solid all-around fighter with a chin that's just as tough if not better than Conor's. But Conor's day was coming anyways. If Aldo wouldn't have got caught, he probably would've took him down and finished him pretty easily. Conor's pretty bad at grappling.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 02:01:56 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
McGregor connects often. It's kind of silly to think he wouldn't had connected again on Aldo.

You make some valid points about his lack of ground game but you seem a little unrealistic with your overall assessment of McGregor. The guy was owning Diaz. But Diaz was bigger and Conor couldn't put him down.

Was a great fight. Diaz is cool Shiz.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 02:04:19 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
McGregor really needs to work on his ground game. Round 1 Conor was tagging up Diaz good. But he was gassed by round 2. He was trying so hard for that knockout that he put 100% energy into every swing and kick. Diaz ROCKED him with that combo late in the 2nd and the rest is history. That take down that McGregor tried was probably to avoid being punched again.

I still like Conor's chances against RDA. Diaz was a terrible match up for him, 10 days notice or not. Nate is probably one of the best boxers in the MMA.

Interested to see Conor's persona now that he lost. Go back to 145, defend that belt.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 02:07:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That and McGregor is pretty much useless once he's off of his feet. His legendary chin wasn't all that great when he was going against bigger guys. Don't undersell Diaz, either. Diaz is a very, very solid all-around fighter with a chin that's just as tough if not better than Conor's. But Conor's day was coming anyways. If Aldo wouldn't have got caught, he probably would've took him down and finished him pretty easily. Conor's pretty bad at grappling.
As someone who doesn't follow UFC, that's the other thing I always notice when I occasionally watch... the guy who is a brawler/striker usually ends up spending the entire fight afraid of getting taken down and once it ends up on the ground they usually lose.  Seemed to be the case in the final two fights tonight.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 02:09:46 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

As someone who doesn't follow UFC, that's the other thing I always notice when I occasionally watch... the guy who is a brawler/striker usually ends up spending the entire fight afraid of getting taken down and once it ends up on the ground they usually lose.  Seemed to be the case in the final two fights tonight.
This is another opinion someone might have that loosely follows the UFC but that's just wrong. Mcgregor was never worried about the take down during the fight.

He got tagged hard and that fight was ending quick whether he was on his feet or on the ground. It didn't matter at that point. He was done a minute before that fight ended and at that point he was on his feet.

Lack of ground game had little to do with this fight.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 02:25:14 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
McGregor really needs to work on his ground game. Round 1 Conor was tagging up Diaz good. But he was gassed by round 2. He was trying so hard for that knockout that he put 100% energy into every swing and kick. Diaz ROCKED him with that combo late in the 2nd and the rest is history. That take down that McGregor tried was probably to avoid being punched again.

I still like Conor's chances against RDA. Diaz was a terrible match up for him, 10 days notice or not. Nate is probably one of the best boxers in the MMA.

Interested to see Conor's persona now that he lost. Go back to 145, defend that belt.

Yep! It will definitely be interesting, because I don't think he can pull that macho, loud-mouth arrogant stuff now. He shouldn't have took the fight on 11 days notice, especially at 170. He got cocky, and it cost him.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 06:42:32 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This went pretty much how I expected except that I thought it would be Diaz by decision. I knew he'd tag McGregor plenty, but didn't think he'd rock enough for a knock out (or for McGregor to shoot for the takedown as a last hope of not getting knocked out).

The fight was over before it went to the ground. Diaz doesn't seem to try to take fights to the ground despite his high level grappling. I think he just likes a good old fashioned brawl. It was funny when he said when guys start getting hit "they all of sudden become wrestlers".

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 06:43:00 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
McGregor connects often. It's kind of silly to think he wouldn't had connected again on Aldo.

You make some valid points about his lack of ground game but you seem a little unrealistic with your overall assessment of McGregor. The guy was owning Diaz. But Diaz was bigger and Conor couldn't put him down.

I honestly don't think he was ever owning Diaz. Sure he had some really nice connections with the left hand, but once Diaz absorbed 4 or 5 of them and kept going, it would have really rattled McGregor's mental strength.
 Diaz has a reputation for having an iron chin and stamina to fight 10 rounds if needed.
Diaz has a history of taking an absolute beating and just gritting it out and taking it to decision or submission.
Diaz' plan all along was to try and dodge the left hand, get McGregor tired and then use the jab to tire him out and eventually take it to the ground. And we all knew before this fight that McGregor's ground game is pretty rookie- it's what made this fight so interesting and I honestly was shocked when I saw that Dana White had lined up Diaz, when McGregor could have fought Pettis and particularly Cerrone for more of a stand up duel.

I actually picked both winners tonight which was nice after McGregor owned Aldo in 10 seconds.
Diaz just had to survive the first round and Connor moving up so much weight meant he'd be gassed pretty quickly- especially when he wants to KO Diaz.

I also think Diaz got in Connor's head a little bit a few days ago when he said to Connor on a Fox interview ' You better hope you get that KO in the first round, you better hope'. It really seemed to shake Connor and agitate him and Nate acted liked he knew if he could survive the first round barrage of Connor's left hand, then he'd have an excellent chance of submitting Connor.

Connor's chin is pretty suspect too after this. Diaz isn't the best puncher and yeah Connor was gassed, but he basically gave up after 3 straight lefts from Diaz.
Diaz must have taken 10 or 12 left hands and uppercuts and it barely phased him.

I said it when they first announced it, but Dos Anjos will kill McGregor. He'll kill Diaz again too.
I think McGregor will kill everyone back down at 155, although Aldo seeing this will give him some mental confidence.

Connor's left hand is just so beautiful and I dunno how many guys at 155 can take a hit from hit  cleanly and survive.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 07:11:31 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I honestly don't think he was ever owning Diaz. Sure he had some really nice connections with the left hand, but once Diaz absorbed 4 or 5 of them and kept going, it would have really rattled McGregor's mental strength.
 Diaz has a reputation for having an iron chin and stamina to fight 10 rounds if needed.
Diaz has a history of taking an absolute beating and just gritting it out and taking it to decision or submission.
Diaz' plan all along was to try and dodge the left hand, get McGregor tired and then use the jab to tire him out and eventually take it to the ground. And we all knew before this fight that McGregor's ground game is pretty rookie- it's what made this fight so interesting and I honestly was shocked when I saw that Dana White had lined up Diaz, when McGregor could have fought Pettis and particularly Cerrone for more of a stand up duel.

I actually picked both winners tonight which was nice after McGregor owned Aldo in 10 seconds.
Diaz just had to survive the first round and Connor moving up so much weight meant he'd be gassed pretty quickly- especially when he wants to KO Diaz.

I also think Diaz got in Connor's head a little bit a few days ago when he said to Connor on a Fox interview ' You better hope you get that KO in the first round, you better hope'. It really seemed to shake Connor and agitate him and Nate acted liked he knew if he could survive the first round barrage of Connor's left hand, then he'd have an excellent chance of submitting Connor.

Connor's chin is pretty suspect too after this. Diaz isn't the best puncher and yeah Connor was gassed, but he basically gave up after 3 straight lefts from Diaz.
Diaz must have taken 10 or 12 left hands and uppercuts and it barely phased him.

I said it when they first announced it, but Dos Anjos will kill McGregor. He'll kill Diaz again too.
I think McGregor will kill everyone back down at 155, although Aldo seeing this will give him some mental confidence.

Connor's left hand is just so beautiful and I dunno how many guys at 155 can take a hit from hit  cleanly and survive.

Don Anjos is at 155. McGregor moved up from 145. But yeah, I expected Dos Anjos to murder McGregor.

I agree that I never saw McGregor owning Diaz. He got some shots in, but Diaz never seemed rattled or in danger. He continued to move well and ended up outboxing Conor.

McGregor is an elite fighter. But it is different fighting guys at 145 because there are just fewer guys that can make that weight and fight at an elite level. There are many more at the higher weight classes so I believe you also see a jump in the competition levels at higher weight classes than 145. McGregor is really probably 155 fighter (walking around in the high 160's) who just is able to to make 145 so he does. So he ends up the bigger guy in addition to his lethal striking. A good combo.

Moving up (especially to 170) takes away his size advantage and he becomes an undersized elite striker against Diaz. Still dangerous, but he's going to lose more often than at 145.