Author Topic: Blow it up Danny!.....  (Read 17968 times)

Re: Blow it up Danny!.....
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2019, 09:10:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

i'm 100% on the "keep the veteran leaders (smart and horford), let all the other established / paid players go, and see what jay and jay can become" train.

It just doesn't excite me much at all

Honestly, the idea of actually enjoying, rather than dreading, tuning in to watch this team play games excites me.

So long as the door is left open for continuing to improve the team via free agency, the draft, trades not involving the core guys, I will be fine watching a young team that isn't likely to contend for a title in the near term.

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2019, 09:17:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Blowing it up is certainly not the way to go. Even if Kyrie walks we are left with a team that is better than the one that made the ECF a year ago. With an abundance of young talent and picks. There really is no reason to blow it up because we are in a perfect position to compete and continue to "re"-build as we are doing it.

Losing a closer of Kyrie's capability is going to be a huge knock. However, the apparent chemistry issue it should fix will hopefully outweigh that loss if it happens.

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2019, 09:23:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
what a a mess for Danny to have laid on him with a bad heart .

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2019, 09:24:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

i'm 100% on the "keep the veteran leaders (smart and horford), let all the other established / paid players go, and see what jay and jay can become" train.

It just doesn't excite me much at all

Honestly, the idea of actually enjoying, rather than dreading, tuning in to watch this team play games excites me.

So long as the door is left open for continuing to improve the team via free agency, the draft, trades not involving the core guys, I will be fine watching a young team that isn't likely to contend for a title in the near term.
Why do you think building around our youngsters would be so conducive to enjoyable play?

Because this season Tatum was one of the least enjoyable players on the whole team to watch

Tatum has disappointed me the most (Brad, Hayward and Kyrie right up there though).

His Kobe-time I think screwed him up to a faretheewell.

Kobe’s influence with that stupid fade-away 2 over dependence has ruined his game and his confidence.

Given his poor performance down the stretch, his value is lessened which will cost us more in an AD trade.

Way to go Jayson. If I didn’t know better I would say he sabotaged his own value so he wouldn’t be traded.
I think he's got to be held more accountable for that. A few hours with Kobe shouldn't have mysteriously made his TS% 4 points lower from his rookie season to sophomore.

I think more of it is to do with an inflated ego after a deep post-season run and an off-season of hearing how he's the best 20 year old in the world. He's got to be better.

Doesn't help that Stevens lets his players run wild sometimes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:17 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Depth vs. Top-end Talent.

Current team has depth but not so much top-end talent (1 guy).

Depth is great for the regular season but is less useful in the playoffs due to shorter rotations.

IMO, we’ve tried the depth route.  I would like to see a consolidation of talent into the starting five.

You can't win with depth... The NBA is the only league that's superstar driven if you don't have a top 5 guy you have no chance.

We don't have a top 5, or even top 10, guy right now.

All these posters still clinging to the idea that if Irving leaves, we sink to mediocrity and early playoff exits, what team are you watching this season ? That is where we are right now. We are not winning a title with Kyrie Irving, Period. The guy has been a disaster in the locker room and, though he scores a lot, he has overall, made our team weaker on the floor. The playoffs you've been waiting on are here and he has been awful and his presence has hurt Tatum and Hayward this season. Time to move on.

BTW, look at the top teams, Toronto and Milwaukee - they each have one superstar and a strong lieutenant for a running mate. The rest of the guys are very solid role players. Yes, you need a star, but they have to be the right kind of star. Selfless, team oriented, mentally tougher than anyone else. Kawahi, Giannis, Curry. Also think of Garnett, Duncan. Irving does not have it deep down inside.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2019, 10:00:23 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Blowing it up is certainly not the way to go. Even if Kyrie walks we are left with a team that is better than the one that made the ECF a year ago. With an abundance of young talent and picks. There really is no reason to blow it up because we are in a perfect position to compete and continue to "re"-build as we are doing it.

Losing a closer of Kyrie's capability is going to be a huge knock. However, the apparent chemistry issue it should fix will hopefully outweigh that loss if it happens.

What closer ? He takes bad shots and forces turnovers.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2019, 10:41:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
what a a mess for Danny to have laid on him with a bad heart .

Might not be a bad idea if Danny lets his assistant GM handle the roster building this summer. Take a hiatus and some time off and see what Mike Zarren can do. Not only do I think it would benefit Ainge's health to take a breather but sometimes a new man in charge could make some really good moves that his superior may not have considered.

One example I can think of was the 2006 offseason for the Sox when Epstein took a hiatus after a falling out with ownership and his two assistants (Hoyer and Cherington) pulled off a trade for Beckett and Lowell. Both guys played a big role in helping the team win a World Series in 2007.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:46:52 PM by gpap »

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2019, 10:50:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You're being obviously ignorant of his proven clutch ability to your detriment. 3 bad games do not make a career
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
How about 4?  Lol

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2019, 09:29:56 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
unreal

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2019, 10:04:04 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Idk what this means BUT DO IT!!!

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:27 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
What a Team effort this evening.

Not ready to play is on the Coach?

Where is Herb Brooks when you need him!

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

You're being obviously ignorant of his proven clutch ability to your detriment. 3 bad games do not make a career

It's just not worth it. I don't necessarily blame him, but pretty much every one of tenn's posts is anti-Kyrie in some way.

Still, losing an All-NBA player early in his prime for absolutely nothing is just too much to come back from. You do everything you can to re-sign Kyrie, then you do everything you can to win with Kyrie. If it doesn't work out, at least you have a valuable asset to trade.

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2019, 10:52:36 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Let Kyrie walk and keep our draft picks.

Start over.

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2019, 10:54:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Let Kyrie walk and keep our draft picks.

Start over.

not a bad idea

I was going to say, try to sign Kemba Walker....but I doubt even he wants to consider signing with the Celts