Author Topic: Is there a Durant or Lebron in this draft?  (Read 11150 times)

Re: Is there a Durant or Lebron in this draft?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The lottery is stacked with potential. After that there isn't really much.

Although there are a few who could provide solid contribution that could be available in the mid late 1st and 2nd rounds.

Those Vanderbilt guys (John Jenkins, Festus Ezeli, Jeff Taylor)
Gonzaga's Elias Harris and Robert Sacre
Miles Plumlee of Duke
Miss. State's Arnett Moultrie and Renardo Sidney
Yancy Gates from Cincinatti
Marcus Denmon, Missou
Jorge Guttierez, Cal

If they all go to the draft that is. I think Sacre, Gates, Denmon and Guttierez are seniors

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:55 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think Harrison Barnes could be similar to Danny Granger and the Anthony Davis/Amare comparisons are pretty close (Davis is a better defender though)

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Although there are a few who could provide solid contribution that could be available in the mid late 1st and 2nd rounds.

Miles Plumlee of Duke
Marcus Denmon, Missou
Jorge Guttierez, Cal

If they all go to the draft that is. I think Sacre, Gates, Denmon and Guttierez are seniors

Just saying this because I'm a Duke fan, but Mason Plumlee is the best out of the Plumlee brothers. I doubt Miles would make the 1st round.

Mason Plumlee is one of the top 5 talented offensive bigs in this draft, I think, but he does not have as much potential.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
no but there might be a Dwight...maybe two Dwights...

Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond

maybe a Wade too
Kid-Gilcris

idk what Austin Rivers is

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Miles Plumlee of Duke
Marcus Denmon, Missou
Jorge Guttierez, Cal

Just saying this because I'm a Duke fan, but Mason Plumlee is the best out of the Plumlee brothers. I doubt Miles would make the 1st round.

Mason Plumlee is one of the top 5 talented offensive bigs in this draft, I think, but he does not have as much potential.

I get confused sometimes. If its the blond haired Plumlee you are talking about then that's who I meant.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Everyone has been talking about the upcoming draft being very deep but I don't hear much about the players. Are guys like Andre Drummond, Anthony Davis, Jeremy Lamb, Harrison Barnes or Jared Sullinger going to generate as much excitement as say, the 2007 draft?

I'm not big into college hoops so I'm hoping to get some insight here.

Andre Drummond could potentially be a dominant big man. Many of the others could be perennial all stars. Anthony Davis and a few others could reach elite status.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I think getting a couple really good players, Like a Harden and Gay is better. It would be easier to bring in a allstar in if they have a good supporting cast, if you start with a superstar like Lebron and you do to well to get back into the draft, a few years later we might end up being Cleveland.

No. No, no, no, no, no. It's [dang] near impossible to win a title without a transcendent, hall of fame talent.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Everyone has been talking about the upcoming draft being very deep but I don't hear much about the players. Are guys like Andre Drummond, Anthony Davis, Jeremy Lamb, Harrison Barnes or Jared Sullinger going to generate as much excitement as say, the 2007 draft?

I'm not big into college hoops so I'm hoping to get some insight here.

At one point, some people felt that Harrison Barnes might have had that chance when he was an incoming freshman. This draft is deep with solid players that could be a 2nd or 3rd option but I don't really see that transcending hall of fame player in this draft. You never know how someone will develop at the next level though.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think getting a couple really good players, Like a Harden and Gay is better. It would be easier to bring in a allstar in if they have a good supporting cast, if you start with a superstar like Lebron and you do to well to get back into the draft, a few years later we might end up being Cleveland.

No. No, no, no, no, no. It's [dang] near impossible to win a title without a transcendent, hall of fame talent.

I think its greatly exaggerated...the better overall team with the most talent tends to win an NBA finals.

sure you need that "guy" who can make the clutch shots...but while good players I dont exactly view Paul Pierce or Dirk Novitzski as "transcendent" players.

and they won finals series going up against the Lebrons, kobes, wades

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No, there isn't.  While I think Davis has the potential to be special, the strength of this draft is its depth.  There could be 5-10 guys who might make an All-Star game or two.  But I am not sure there are any true superstars...at least any guys who are locks to be that, like Lebron and Durant were.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
In my opinion, I think this draft is deep in quality starters, but not necessarily stars.  If I'm a team looking for a franchise player, then names like Jared Sullinger, Jeremy Lamb, Andre Drummond and John Henson aren't really exciting me all that much.  

However, if you're in the market for a good starter in the mid-to-late first round, then this is the draft for you.  This year is loaded with solid, starter-but-not-star players at nearly every position.  

A few exceptions may be Harrison Barnes and Anthony Davis.  Barnes has all of the tools to be a successful player at the next level, and I think his game may be better-suited to the NBA than it is to college.  Anthony Davis is a pretty unique talent.  He has JaVale McGee's length and athleticism, but from what I've seen he's a more intelligent player than McGee and he has more natural talent on the offensive end (although I doubt he'll ever be a go-to scorer).  

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

I think its greatly exaggerated...the better overall team with the most talent tends to win an NBA finals.

sure you need that "guy" who can make the clutch shots...but while good players I dont exactly view Paul Pierce or Dirk Novitzski as "transcendent" players.

and they won finals series going up against the Lebrons, kobes, wades

Dirk is a hall of famer and a top 10 player in the NBA. Pierce, Garnett and Allen are all hall of famers and were together for their title. The Pistons won a flukey title in which the best team in the West lost to the Lakers due to an injury.

Other than that, look at the best player on every other title team for the past 20 years: Kobe twice, Duncan three times, Wade and Shaq, Kobe and Shaq 3 times, Jordan 6 times and Hakeem twice.

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I live in China, so I see practically zip of college ball...CCTV does show a lot of NBA fortunately.

The other week I went to a Shanghai Sharks game, and the visiting team had a great point guard who was player of the game...think the Cs might be interested...his name was.....Marbury  :D

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 11:16:02 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Please read before you comment. I said you draft a supporting cast then get the Superstar talent. Basically in FA. Too many years in between drafts were a Bird,Jordan,Durant come out. Its not like the old days were every year a Superstar was going to be in the top ten.