Author Topic: So apparently June 13th (week before draft) is when we can make Davis offer  (Read 4334 times)

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
LA may have a better offer than us with that number 4 pick now, so I still think we face long odds to get Davis.

So the Lakers can trade for Davis, sign Kyrie, and fill in around with Rondo and other vets.  Sounds like a pretty good team to me, certainly a formidable big-3.  Then Durant goes to NYK to play on a bad team even he can't help.  The Celtics can trade Horford and with any luck Hayward and build around their young core hoping they become stars.

I don't think this is the end of the world for the Celtics; not ideal, getting Davis and keeping Kyrie would be better, but we will still be a fun young team

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
LA may have a better offer than us with that number 4 pick now, so I still think we face long odds to get Davis.

So the Lakers can trade for Davis, sign Kyrie, and fill in around with Rondo and other vets.  Sounds like a pretty good team to me, certainly a formidable big-3.  Then Durant goes to NYK to play on a bad team even he can't help.  The Celtics can trade Horford and with any luck Hayward and build around their young core hoping they become stars.

I don't think this is the end of the world for the Celtics; not ideal, getting Davis and keeping Kyrie would be better, but we will still be a fun young team

I disagree the Lakers can field a better offer than us.

That 4th pick is a big drop off after 3, and the Lakers have Ingrim whose career is in jeopardy, Ball who has been a little underwhelming, Kuzma who is almost 25.  Just by starting with an offer of Tatum and the Grizzlies pick I think is better than any Lakers off they can put together.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes, I saw that but I wonder if that has set in on him.
Players in their prime do not want to play with rookies, even ones as talented as Zion.

Even the all time great rookies who put up big "numbers" usually are net negatives on the court for at least one year. Davis wants to be on a contender now, while he's in his prime, not maybe on one in two to three years when Zion figures out the NBA game.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

That 4th pick is a big drop off after 3, and the Lakers have Ingrim whose career is in jeopardy, Ball who has been a little underwhelming, Kuzma who is almost 25.  Just by starting with an offer of Tatum and the Grizzlies pick I think is better than any Lakers off they can put together.
So Kuzma is still 23 but yet he's almost 25?  I mean, let's not bend reality at least.

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

You are correct, and we have more to throw at NO as well.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Word is NO is trying hard to keep Davis now to pair with Zion, and if that fool leaves now, then he's another Kyrie.

I know we need a big just like him, but the price and risk is just too high.

And I have no idea why we want Kyrie to muck up what we're trying to get away from.  Like he'll pass the ball to Davis anymore than he passes to Horford.

I just don't see it with him.  I mean Al can post any player and only has trouble with elite bigs, can score from the paint all the way to the 3 point line, and Kyrie can only see the benefit of giving him 3 post passes, and 3 perimeter shots a game.

I have no idea why people think Kyrie is so valuable.  I would trade him in for Fox in a heartbeat.

And he can't even use his quickness to make us a running team because we're never gonna get any stop or rebound to run simply because we HAVE Kyrie.

I'm almost to the point if we bring him back, i'm done with this team.  He THOROUGHLY screws this entire team up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:18:31 PM by Triplenickle »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Word is NO is trying hard to keep Davis now to pair with Zion, and if that fool leaves now, then he's another Kyrie.

And I have no idea why we want Kyrie to muck up what we're trying to get away from.  Like he'll pass the ball to Davis anymore than he passes to Horford.

I just don't see it with him.

Bill Simmons said NO should keep him even if he wants to get traded, and wait until the Feb trade deadline. I think that is a bad idea, but Simmons is banking on Davis and Williamson leading team to 2nd round of playoffs next season.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Bill Simmons said NO should keep him even if he wants to get traded, and wait until the Feb trade deadline. I think that is a bad idea, but Simmons is banking on Davis and Williamson leading team to 2nd round of playoffs next season.

Terrible gamble. His value goes down even more.

I think Zion will be a good player, but he doesn't make the Pelicans into the team AD wants long term right away. So AD still wants out and they either lose him for nothing or for much less desirable packages than are available now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:26:13 PM by gift »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

I think Zion will be a good player, but he doesn't make the Hornets into the team AD wants long term right away. So AD still wants out and they either lose him for nothing or for much less desirable packages than are available now.
What does Zion have to do with the Hornets?  You are showing your age.  :o

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I think Zion will be a good player, but he doesn't make the Hornets into the team AD wants long term right away. So AD still wants out and they either lose him for nothing or for much less desirable packages than are available now.
What does Zion have to do with the Hornets?  You are showing your age.  :o

ugh, I don't know how Hornets came out.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

So Kuzma is still 23 but yet he's almost 25?  I mean, let's not bend reality at least.

Sorry I was off a little.  He’ll be 24 in July.  The question really is does he have much improvement left, or he is what he is for the most part now?  I don’t think he’ll ever come close to sniffing being an all star. Tatum and the Grizzlies pick You have a higher chance to turn into all stars.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Sorry I was off a little.  He’ll be 24 in July.  The question really is does he have much improvement left, or he is what he is for the most part now?  I don’t think he’ll ever come close to sniffing being an all star. Tatum and the Grizzlies pick You have a higher chance to turn into all stars.
I agree that Tatum has more value than Kuzma.  But I also believe there is more risk with Tatum.  So far he put together a stellar rookie season and a so so second year.  He's talented, but far from a finished product.

As for Kuzma, I think saying he'll never sniff an all star game is a bit much.  Either way, the Celts best bet is that the pelicans really value tatum.  Short of that, the celtics chance is not nearly what people around here think.

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

I agree that Tatum has more value than Kuzma.  But I also believe there is more risk with Tatum.  So far he put together a stellar rookie season and a so so second year.  He's talented, but far from a finished product.

As for Kuzma, I think saying he'll never sniff an all star game is a bit much.  Either way, the Celts best bet is that the pelicans really value tatum.  Short of that, the celtics chance is not nearly what people around here think.

You can say Tatum had a down year but I blame a lot of that with Kyrie being back.  Tatum is a guy who needs the ball in his hands a lot.  Not as much as Kyrie but he needs the ball to go to work just like Pierce did.  Kyrie dominated the ball and in my opinion stunted Tatums growth.  If Kyrie moves on and the C's keep the young kids you will see a quantum leap of Tatum and Brown next year.  I'm for building around the young guys which was the original plan.  I hate losing Kyrie for nothing but maybe his new team does everyone a favor and does the sign and trade so we can get the exception and Kyrie can make more money.  That allows the C's to take on a star without giving up any players and can move just picks instead.  This can be someone who signed a big contract and the team wants to rebuild versus being a middle of the road team.  Or it allows the C's to use this in a Sign and Trade for a Star like KD ( I know this will not happen just an example) or someone else.  Lot's of options if the teams can work together to help each other out.  I really like Kyrie but I have to say this past year was the first time in a long time I did not have fun watching NBA hoops and I shut off or just recorded games and only watched them if they won.  I normally watch every game live and plan my week around them.  This year I didn't.  Kyrie had a lot to do with that and I really like him.  I just don't think he's a Celtic.  I am a Celtic fan because of the team, what it means to be a Celtic and because of Celtic Pride.  Kyrie does not define Celtic Pride.  Everyone on that team fits to me except Kyrie and Rozier.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Danny is not offering all 3 of brown smart tatum and picks.

No one in the history of the nba has ever been traded for close to that much.

Leonard was traded for a 1/3 of that package and is a better player

Ainge could probably get Davis by replacing Jaylen with Robert Williams and our #14 pick this summer.
Celts may also need to throw in the Memphis pick however, which has only added value after not conveying this summer.

So the framework (my best guess) for an AD deal should be:
Smart, Tatum, Williams, #14 pick and Memphis 1st rounder for AD.

Williams could have more value than we think. He's still very raw but Dave Griffin could see some value in him and think Alvin Gentry can help turn him into a serviceable center.

As for us, we would have a FAR more balanced roster instead of a billion small forwards with no rhyme or reason and the subtraction of Rozier and his malcontent attitude.

Which is why Kyrie should really think about coming back. Morris could even consider coming back as our sixth man. And we'd still have our mid-level exception we could use on a vet, to provide scoring off the bench.

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis

Bench
-Morris
-Smart
-Ojeleye
-Baynes
-Theis
-Wannamaker
-MLE free agent
-#20 pick
-#22 pick
-Yabusele

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

You can say Tatum had a down year but I blame a lot of that with Kyrie being back.  Tatum is a guy who needs the ball in his hands a lot.  Not as much as Kyrie but he needs the ball to go to work just like Pierce did.  Kyrie dominated the ball and in my opinion stunted Tatums growth.  If Kyrie moves on and the C's keep the young kids you will see a quantum leap of Tatum and Brown next year.  I'm for building around the young guys which was the original plan.  I hate losing Kyrie for nothing but maybe his new team does everyone a favor and does the sign and trade so we can get the exception and Kyrie can make more money.  That allows the C's to take on a star without giving up any players and can move just picks instead.  This can be someone who signed a big contract and the team wants to rebuild versus being a middle of the road team.  Or it allows the C's to use this in a Sign and Trade for a Star like KD ( I know this will not happen just an example) or someone else.  Lot's of options if the teams can work together to help each other out.  I really like Kyrie but I have to say this past year was the first time in a long time I did not have fun watching NBA hoops and I shut off or just recorded games and only watched them if they won.  I normally watch every game live and plan my week around them.  This year I didn't.  Kyrie had a lot to do with that and I really like him.  I just don't think he's a Celtic.  I am a Celtic fan because of the team, what it means to be a Celtic and because of Celtic Pride.  Kyrie does not define Celtic Pride.  Everyone on that team fits to me except Kyrie and Rozier.
Well, the fact that Tatum needs to the ball in his hands to be effective is not necessarily a good thing.  The question is whether Tatum will be good enough to demand the ball be in his hands and have that be good for the team (which ever team).