Author Topic: How confident are you that Irving will eventually sign an extension?  (Read 3995 times)

Re: How confident are you that Irving will eventually sign an extension?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I know there is always speculation on whether an impending FA will re-sign with their current team; however, if you are referring to Gorman's, "Kyrie Irving staying with Celtics long term is not a given," comment, he was referring to whether the Cs will want to re-sign Irving (if injury issues continue), not Irving leaving on his own volition.

That being said, I would have to put the chances at 95% if he makes it all the way to the end of his current contract without being traded. He may take a glance at other teams, but he will make the most money in Boston and has a ready-made championship team that will be good for at least a decade.

I do not think he will sign an extension this off-season, but it sure would be awesome if he did!

Also dont forget about the Lebron rumors

All Lebron needs to do to sabotage this relationship between Irving and Danny is to have one of his reps reach out to a member of Celts front office(ideally Danny) ...just to gauge interest (browsing but not really interested)....with Danny unsuspecting

Then leak out the story to mega fan boy Winhorst that Celts and Lebron are talking.... make Irving angry. 

Danny would look like a bad guy due to his business comes 1st history

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
All this Kyrie BS is clickbait to sell ads.  It comes down to this - is Danny willing to give Kyrie the max?  yes or no?  If yes, Kyrie signs.  Done.  Period.  End of discussion.  If Danny says no, then bu-bye Kyrie.

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
All this Kyrie BS is clickbait to sell ads.  It comes down to this - is Danny willing to give Kyrie the max?  yes or no?  If yes, Kyrie signs.  Done.  Period.  End of discussion.  If Danny says no, then bu-bye Kyrie.

Danny is not sure bc what is Irving is out for a good chunk of next season...worst case misses the playoffs again?

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
There is a subtle difference here, right? 

1.  Kyrie could sign an "extension" before becoming an UFA but with certain restrictions on the amount of the raise and number of years (I am not certain of the details here).  I don't think he is going to sign an actual extension.

2.  He could become a UFA at the end of this season by opting out and signing a new contract for 2019-20 and beyond (this isn't technically the same as an extension I don't think).

3.  He could play out his current contract for two more seasons by picking up his option for 2019-20, then becoming an UFA and signing a new contact for 2020-21 and beyond.

So taking the question literally, "will he sign an extension?", I think that is unlikely.  Will he resign with Boston after becoming an UFA, is probably the real question and I think the odds are pretty good on that.  The longer he waits to do the extension or new contract, the more he can get with that contract as the amount for max deals go up as the salary cap goes up.  I also think the amount of the allowable extension goes up also but I am less clear on those details.

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
There is a subtle difference here, right? 

1.  Kyrie could sign an "extension" before becoming an UFA but with certain restrictions on the amount of the raise and number of years (I am not certain of the details here).  I don't think he is going to sign an actual extension.

2.  He could become a UFA at the end of this season by opting out and signing a new contract for 2019-20 and beyond (this isn't technically the same as an extension I don't think).

3.  He could play out his current contract for two more seasons by picking up his option for 2019-20, then becoming an UFA and signing a new contact for 2020-21 and beyond.

So taking the question literally, "will he sign an extension?", I think that is unlikely.  Will he resign with Boston after becoming an UFA, is probably the real question and I think the odds are pretty good on that.  The longer he waits to do the extension or new contract, the more he can get with that contract as the amount for max deals go up as the salary cap goes up.  I also think the amount of the allowable extension goes up also but I am less clear on those details.

getting too technical here

you know what I mean.

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If the C's offer him a maximum FA contract after this year I'm 95% confident he resigns.

The only way it doesn't happen is if the C's dither over offering him the full 5 years, that's why Horford left ATL in the end. I think they only reason that would happen with the C's would be injury, which I don't really want to think about after this season's woes.

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Money-wise, if it's a top deal, I'm extremely confident he re-signs. In terms of the team dynamic, environment, etc., if things continue to move in the right direction, and there is very little drama, I don't see why he wouldn't want to stick around? In my opinion, as it currently stands, he is the leader and face of this team...a winning team at that. What more could you ask for? He's in the driver's seat and on a team that is basically on the doorstep of being taken seriously as a true contender. I don't see any legitimate reason (in terms of basketball) as to why he would want to leave.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
80% seems right to me.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think Kyrie has his sights on the NYK,s. I would consider moving him for Kanter,Trey Burke and this years #9.  Pick the best big available at 9 and  a guard like Kyrie Thomas. This still leaves us with Rozier,Smart ,Burkes at guard ,all of our 2019 picks and future cap space ,without maxing out Irving.leaves room to  later sign Tatum,Brown etc. Kanter gives us decisions on Baynes,Morris and all the rest of the bigs. Keep AH,Theis. wings are Brown ,Tatum and Hayward.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:01:00 PM by jacigar »

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Kyrie has his sights on the NYK,s. I would consider moving him for Kanter,Trey Burke and this years #9.  Pick the best big available at 9 and  a guard like Kyrie Thomas. This still leaves us with Rozier,Smart ,Burkes at guard ,all of our 2019 picks and future cap space ,without maxing out Irving.leaves room to  later sign Tatum,Brown etc. Kanter gives us decisions on Baynes,Morris and all the rest of the bigs. Keep AH,Theis. wings are Brown ,Tatum and Hayward.
That is an absolutely horrendous return for Kyrie. You can't be serious
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why did we trade for Kyrie if there was a chance of losing him to NY? Bad move Danny.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Very confident.

Kyrie is no fool (though with all the flat earth talk I guess some would disagree).  He recognizes that he's in a very favorable situation.  Great organization with great ownership, great GM, great coach, great teammates with little drama (as far as we can tell from the outside looking in), and the chance to be the best player on a title-contending team, in a weak Eastern Conference no less, for many years to come.

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 10:17:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He would never sign an extension and shouldn't. It would cost him a ton of money. But he will definitely resign here after his contract ends. This is his team and he will be the face of the franchise until Brown and/or Tatum outshine him in a couple, few years.

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 11:41:39 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Confident this group stays together for at least four more years

Kyrie is not going to find a better spot

90 percent

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 12:07:32 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
That is an absolutely horrendous return for Kyrie. You can't be serious
and yet it's similar to what we gave up to get him (8 pick)

i don't want to trade him though
I trust Danny Ainge