Author Topic: Skinny Lebron  (Read 48626 times)

Re: Skinny Lebron
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Does anyone know if a drug test can detect past usage of said drug even though the person isn't using it anymore?  If these NBA players (my boy Lebron included) are using this stuff, they need to be ousted.  And if they do, their championship rings need to be taken away.  F 'em.

Well, you could go full KGB and just whip out the truth serum.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
D.o.s, we posted that at the same time  ;D.  Anyways, my question is up top

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2014, 12:08:04 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Your body absolutely can distinguish between lipids, sugars, and protein.

You're saying if I try to run my body on 2000 calories worth of beer per day, it's not going to know the difference from an energy standpoint?  A calorie is just a calorie?  You think the FDA forces all companies to put the percentage of calories from fat on all packages because they think it's funny?

If you're referring to my post, that's exactly what I'm saying.  Your body distinguishes macronutrients, not calories.

As for the 2000 calories worth of beer per day - in simplistic terms, without getting into energetics of metabolism - yes.  A calorie is a UNIT OF ENERGY.  Theoretically, a 2000 kcal diet of beer will net you the same amount of energy as a balanced 2000 kcal diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fish because they are isocaloric.  The health implications between these two diets, of course, is another story.

The % of calories from fat on packages is related to the recommended acceptable macronutrient distribution range (AMDR) of 20-35% calories from fat.  On the side of the food label, they use 65 grams of fat per day, which, on a 2000 kcal diet, is ~29% of total calories. 

Quick summary here: http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx

But yeah, if your sarcasm is correct, maybe they do it for fun.

« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

It's like magic.

Anyway, if I understand what you're asking -- whether or not there are tests to see if someone has ever taken a drug -- I think a lie detector type test is the only way to go, but I could be wrong.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:26 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

It's like magic.

Anyway, if I understand what you're asking -- whether or not there are tests to see if someone has ever taken a drug -- I think a lie detector type test is the only way to go, but I could be wrong.

Nah.  I mean like...how you can smoke weed and it still shows up in your drug test 30 days later, but on a higher scale, in labs, with performance enhancing drugs.  I think there was something like this in the Olympics a while ago where they busted runners years after they drug tested resulting in their medals being taken away?  You get what I'm saying?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2014, 06:07:30 AM »

fitzhickey

Does anyone know if a drug test can detect past usage of said drug even though the person isn't using it anymore?  If these NBA players (my boy Lebron included) are using this stuff, they need to be ousted.  And if they do, their championship rings need to be taken away.  F 'em.
I don't know how they could detect the substance if it's not in the body's system anymore, but I don't know.

« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

It's like magic.

Nah.  I mean like...how you can smoke weed and it still shows up in your drug test 30 days later, but on a higher scale, in labs, with performance enhancing drugs.  I think there was something like this in the Olympics a while ago where they busted runners years after they drug tested resulting in their medals being taken away?  You get what I'm saying?

Yes. Ok. The IOC is able to bust people like that because they have blood and samples in storage from Olympics past, they hold on to them for like 8 years, and retroactively test them when better methods become available.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2013/11/19/ioc-new-steroid-test-turin-olympics

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

It's like magic.

Yes. Ok. The IOC is able to bust people like that because they have blood and samples in storage from Olympics past, they hold on to them for like 8 years, and retroactively test them when better methods become available.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2013/11/19/ioc-new-steroid-test-turin-olympics

Oh ok.  That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Where are you getting your information from?  Because it's flat out incorrect.

From my continuing education school's courses load. It isn't the standard, conventional class. (Institute for Functional Medicine) (Functional Diagnostic Nutrition)

My explanation using my examples of comparison were not as clear as I could have been, please forgive me.

There are no "types" of calories in food.  A calorie, as you actually stated earlier, is a unit of energy.  Excluding the thermic effect of food or energy costs from metabolic processing (which are relatively miniscule), one calorie from lipids has the same energy value as one calorie from carbohydrate. 

The different "types" of calories I was referring to were not applied directly to the unit of energy measure, but the different types of sources of the calories. I will be more clear/accurate next time.

The calories from carbohydrates are not exactly the same from the calories from fat or from protein, hence/thus....I called them "different".

It is much easier for the body to breakdown/digest simple, refined carbs then compared to complex carbs. So the body will use more energy (calories) to digest/metabolize/absorb.

It will also take more caloric expenditure for the body to breakdown/digest/metabolize/absorb protein or fat, compared to simple, refined carbohydrates.

So the body will be using up different amounts of caloric energy to gain access to more calories from these sources.

The body will use up more of their reserve calories to help digest protein, fat.

The body does not require the use of its reserve calories to digest carbohydrates....hence....it is easier for people's bodies to store more/extra caloric energy back into the reserve.

Your body does not "distinguish calories" and "send these calories to the right organs".  This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read and demonstrates that you do not understand the physiology behind nutrient digestion, absorption, and metabolism, nor the processes by which the body produces energy through glycolysis, the Krebs cycle, and the electron transport chain.  It distinguishes macronutrients, not calories.

The body distinguishes the calories' sources. If the body doesn't do this, then the body will not know and give instructions to the Liver to increase production for more bile to work on fat......or to the Pancreas to produce more insulin to do its work on carbohydrates.

If things are working correctly inside a properly functioning internal system, the body WILL know which organs need which caloric source. The body will proceed to send the appropriate caloric sources to the appropriate locations or send the appropriate organ workers to do its work on the appropriate caloric source/macronutrient.

And yes, weight loss - actual loss of body mass, not water weight - results from negative energy balance.  It has nothing to do with "types of calories", which doesn't exist in the first place.

"negative energy balance"....oxymoron much? I'm kidding, haha!

"negative energy".....I could have sworn the 1st Law of Thermodynamics was energy could never be created or destroyed.

Losing fat mass is more important than losing weight. I could gain a lot of muscle mass or bone mass (gain "weight")....but not look obese, a superficial benefit, but the increase in muscles & bone will help benefit my athletic performance, hopefully.

Likewise, two fraternal twins could weigh the same, but one twin looks like Shredder, the other twin looks more like Krang in his exo-suit.

Would one rather look like a 250 lbs Lebron or a 260 lbs Danny Fortson? To each his own!

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
For all the nutritional talk, I wonder how many here have been below 10% body fat.   I would wager not many.

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
For all the nutritional talk, I wonder how many here have been below 10% body fat.   I would wager not many.

Before my accident and before I started to pay more attention to my diet/nutrition, I was in the fat % range of 22-26. (Concerning)

When I started to pay more attention, my numbers decreased down to 17-18%. (Acceptable)

Now, after my accident & throughout my recovery process, it's been in the range of 4.2 - 5.1%. (It could use more of boost.)

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2014, 10:55:01 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Ok... Just saw LeBron do the Ice Bucket Challenge...

He lost muscle, I would say 10-15 lbs of it.

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Actually, I do.

« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
Is the new trend to "be like Ray (Allen)"?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-lebron-james-is-suddenly-skinny-1408388466

Article is almost a week old.

If all pro athletes focused more attention on their diet/nutritional care at an earlier time within their respective career, then they may aid their own efforts to sustain a longer duration at a higher more optimal health status.

« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ray does not use his body to bang or drive that much.  He shoots which you can see old guys at any "Y" do.   His whole game is on a less vigorous style of game.     Reggie Miller played from 87-05 and he was a shooter too.   Don't you think this might have something to do with it as well?

Now, after my accident & throughout my recovery process, it's been in the range of 4.2 - 5.1%. (It could use more of boost.)

I wish you a good recovery.