Author Topic: Point Guard Options  (Read 5721 times)

Point Guard Options
« on: May 17, 2019, 04:43:01 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
So, there has been quite a lot of chatter about the PG sitch next year: Kyrie, Terry, Mike Conley. If Kyrie signs, then great, whatever. But I'm curious to know about people's feeling generally about that spot, including varying scenarios taking into account other moves (like AD, for instance).

So we don't have space enough for AD, Hayward, Conley, Horford (even on a reduced deal). But Conley might come here fairly cheap. I actually really like Mike Conley. Great locker room guy (what this team needs, cough cough, Kyrie).

Assuming AD goes to LA, there are still a LOT of options at the big spots on the market - many ways we could go, no need to discuss. But I really just don't know which other point guards could be had at value. What moves am I missing?

Discuss.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Point Guard Options
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 04:46:19 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I like Conley but he has a big contract and is turning 32 next season. I'd consider cheap options such as Ricky Rubio, Patrick Beverly or even Rondo. For the bench, I'd bring in Isaiah Thomas as a cheap scoring punch (that we really needed this season).
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 05:19:36 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I like Conley but he has a big contract and is turning 32 next season. I'd consider cheap options such as Ricky Rubio, Patrick Beverly or even Rondo. For the bench, I'd bring in Isaiah Thomas as a cheap scoring punch (that we really needed this season).

Yeah, Rubio is a nice idea actually. Beverly and Marcus Smart backcourt? Sheesh.

Conley being a little older doesn't bother me too much. Mike Conley Sr won a gold medal for triple jump at age 32. He'll be fine for another 3 years  or so.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 05:51:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Wonder is Kyrie leaves if he will try to poison the well telling people how bad it was in Boston.   That may really hurt us in free agency and I hope he does not do that.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:35 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I like Rubio for the MLE or retaining Rozier.
Beverley, I'd be happy with also.

I am not sure about Conley. How we'd get him. What he'd cost. He has a big contract and Memphis would probably want something of value for him. I'm not sure he is worth losing future assets for because at his age he is only a short term fix. I'd rather keep max trade flexibility for future targets.

Also, I think Rubio / Rozier / Beverley would have more trade value as future assets due to lower contracts.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 08:14:13 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Yeah, Rubio is a nice idea actually. Beverly and Marcus Smart backcourt? Sheesh.

Conley being a little older doesn't bother me too much. Mike Conley Sr won a gold medal for triple jump at age 32. He'll be fine for another 3 years  or so.

Beverly and smart would be used together for distrupting the other team.

Someone goes on a run? Put the 2 of them on the court together and watch that run die.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:55:29 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Don't think Beverley would be available unless we throw the full MLE at him, which I'd prefer to use on Dedmon in such a case (as we're likely to be without Kyrie and AD if we can use the full MLE). I'd suggest Cory Joseph for the taxpayer's MLE though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
One rumor is that Kyrie and Durant are going to seriously consider Brooklyn.

I know Nets have plenty of cap space, but they still have to sign at least 14 players once the dust settles.

As of July 1st Nets will have a $21,059,094 cap hold for D'Angelo Russell.

Can Nets afford all three?  Can Kyrie and Russell play together - would they even want to?

If the dynamic duo choose Nets - how about both sides sign and trade - Irving for Russell.

Are you willing to pay Russell 26 million (rounding) so that Nets can pay Kyrie full max of 32million (rounding)?

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 12:05:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One rumor is that Kyrie and Durant are going to seriously consider Brooklyn.

I know Nets have plenty of cap space, but they still have to sign at least 14 players once the dust settles.

As of July 1st Nets will have a $21,059,094 cap hold for D'Angelo Russell.

Can Nets afford all three?  Can Kyrie and Russell play together - would they even want to?

If the dynamic duo choose Nets - how about both sides sign and trade - Irving for Russell.

Are you willing to pay Russell 26 million (rounding) so that Nets can pay Kyrie full max of 32million (rounding)?
I could be mistaken, but I believe the Nets would only have 2 max options if Russell is gone. So I would 100% be down for a sign and trade if this were the case. Irving could also realistically be down as it allows he and Durant to go to a better constructed, better coached and better managed team in Brooklyn.

Plus, Russell seems to get better with every new team ;D Another chip on his shoulder
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

The only path for Conley to come here is if Kyrie bolts and we decide to swap Hayward straight up for him. They may say no, but it is a pretty good fit for both teams, as they are likely to pick Morant and start over with him. I think that would be ideal if we don't keep Kyrie, whether we get AD or not. He's shown zero decline, he's really tough, a leader and his contract has only two years.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

The only path for Conley to come here is if Kyrie bolts and we decide to swap Hayward straight up for him. They may say no, but it is a pretty good fit for both teams, as they are likely to pick Morant and start over with him. I think that would be ideal if we don't keep Kyrie, whether we get AD or not. He's shown zero decline, he's really tough, a leader and his contract has only two years.

Was thinking the same. TP.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I an not in favor of spending on anyone not named Davis or Kyrie, until we get rid of Hayward and Horford's big contracts, unless they are named Leonard, Durant, etc....

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Speaking of PG- Larking is having an absolute monster year in Europe.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 03:25:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Speaking of PG- Larking is having an absolute monster year in Europe.

11.5/3/2 with over 40% 3P is pretty solid in 21 MPG, would love him back.

Just saw boxscore of his recent game of Euroleague Final 4.

30/7/7!

Nice!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »

Offline Psoas The Great

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
I wan't Malcolm Brogdon on the Celtics.

I've been a huge fan of his since his rookie year, I hope we leave Kyrie alone and go hard for him. He's a restricted free agent who will likely command around $13-$15 Mil a year. I feel like he's a winner and a more than solid, underrated two way player. I selfishly want the Bucks to lose solely because if they win, the gang will more than likely stay together, if they lose I think there will be a higher chance of us having a chance at him.