3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 49061 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)
« Reply #285 on: October 05, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

« Reply #286 on: October 05, 2018, 02:19:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Can't help but point out the parallels to the Kyrie situation just before he was traded to Boston.

1. Superstar demanding a trade.

2. Injury status is a question/issue.

3. Celtics have many assets to offer.

Is an opportunistic Danny Ainge in this game?

and now for my least favorite popular phase:  "Just sayin'"
Until Smart can be traded well into the season, the only way Boston can acquire Butler in a trade is to trade one of the 5 core players and at this point that doesn't make a lot of sense.  At one point, not even that long ago, I'd have been ok moving Brown in the trade, but not now (Irving is saying the right things, Butler is still hurt, Butler's lockerroom issues are more known, etc.).  So until Smart can be moved, Boston can't acquire Butler. 

Now if by mid-season Butler is still in Minnesota, is playing well, still wants out, and Boston looks like it could use a jolt and the trade was basically Smart, salary filler, and its own first (so like a pick in the late 20's), then I'd be all for going all in, even if it meant I just let Butler walk at the end of the year.  I'd then re-sign Rozier instead of Smart, as I think Boston can only keep 1 of them anyway.

Agreed. There is no real way to work the salaries in a deal for butler without Smart's contract even if you gave up Jaylen.  The Lakers also have no path to a deal because of the matching salaries....

« Reply #287 on: October 05, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I've been reading a bunch of trade rumors and it sounds like teams are trying to low ball the Timberwolves...

« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've been reading a bunch of trade rumors and it sounds like teams are trying to low ball the Timberwolves...
you have it wrong.  The wolves are significantly overvaluing Butler.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

What do you think his value is? Is it more or less than what the Pacers got for trading George?

« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

What do you think his value is? Is it more or less than what the Pacers got for trading George?

It's less.

Butler probably has equal value on talent, but the complicating factor is Minnesota cannot go into the season with Butler on the roster. He does not want to be there, and Towns does not want him there either. Butler has also started to really come across as a bit of a malcontent, a label that George never had attached to him. Everyone in NBA circles knows this, so it limits Minnesota's leverage in trade talks. 

« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

It's less.

Butler probably has equal value on talent, but the complicating factor is Minnesota cannot go into the season with Butler on the roster. He does not want to be there, and Towns does not want him there either. Butler has also started to really come across as a bit of a malcontent, a label that George never had attached to him. Everyone in NBA circles knows this, so it limits Minnesota's leverage in trade talks.

additionally, although Indy did very well, at the time the consensus was that Oladipo was a negative value (although he had talent, it wasn't commensurate with his contract)

not many people believed he would become what he is now, especially his first year...not even Indy IMO

« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

It's less.

additionally, although Indy did very well, at the time the consensus was that Oladipo was a negative value (although he had talent, it wasn't commensurate with his contract)

not many people believed he would become what he is now, especially his first year...not even Indy IMO

Some people are undervaluing Sabonis in that trade though. He was an excellent big man prospect who looks very good thus far.

« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I don't know why I keep reading that The Celtics and Lakers could be in play for a Jimmy Butler Trade, either team has the salaries to make such a trade.

« Reply #294 on: October 08, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I'm watching the beginning of the Magic-Heat preseason game right now (wanted to get a glimpse Bamba and Iwundu), but they have done nothing but talk about Richardson the entire time. They had a brief interview with Spo about him. They ran multiple stats highlighting him on defense, blocking, and shooting. Then, the announcers did nothing but talk about him for the first few minutes of the game.

The cynic in me says this is an organizational effort to boost Richardson's trade value in the trade for Butler.

I like Richardson. I like him a lot. I think he can still go up another level as a player. I think he would be a great get in a trade for Butler. But he is probably the 3rd best starter on the Heat, and even that may be generous.

« Reply #295 on: October 08, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I'm watching the beginning of the Magic-Heat preseason game right now (wanted to get a glimpse Bamba and Iwundu), but they have done nothing but talk about Richardson the entire time. They had a brief interview with Spo about him. They ran multiple stats highlighting him on defense, blocking, and shooting. Then, the announcers did nothing but talk about him for the first few minutes of the game.

The cynic in me says this is an organizational effort to boost Richardson's trade value in the trade for Butler.

I like Richardson. I like him a lot. I think he can still go up another level as a player. I think he would be a great get in a trade for Butler. But he is probably the 3rd best starter on the Heat, and even that may be generous.

Dragic is definitely better but who else on the roster is definitely better? Whitside and Winslow? I guess I don't know the Heat's roster well enough to know where he ranks....

« Reply #296 on: October 08, 2018, 08:49:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Dragic is definitely better but who else on the roster is definitely better? Whitside and Winslow? I guess I don't know the Heat's roster well enough to know where he ranks....
I personally would have James Johnson ahead of him, Dragic as you mention, and perhaps Whiteside. Whiteside is certainly more gifted, just a bonehead
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #297 on: October 08, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I personally would have James Johnson ahead of him, Dragic as you mention, and perhaps Whiteside. Whiteside is certainly more gifted, just a bonehead

Yeah, I could see that but as I'm looking over Miami's roster construction, they really overpaid for some role players.

« Reply #298 on: October 08, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, I could see that but as I'm looking over Miami's roster construction, they really overpaid for some role players.
Tyler Johnson most especially, although he always seems to dominate against us, mysteriously
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #299 on: October 08, 2018, 09:30:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Tyler Johnson most especially, although he always seems to dominate against us, mysteriously

Tyler Johnson making 19 million a year
Kelly making 12 million
Dion Waiters 11 million
Whiteside 25 million
Wayne Ellington 6 million

total: 73 million dollars