3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 49689 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)
« Reply #420 on: November 01, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
To be fair, Butler signed a contract with the Bulls.  He never chose to play in Minnesota.  He was traded there and he had no choice in the matter.

That contract was traded, so he should honor it.
eh.  I don't buy that argument at all.  A player should absolutely be allowed to choose where he wants to play.  If he doesn't want to play he shouldn't be forced to.  He shouldn't be paid of course if he doesn't play, but he absolutely shouldn't be forced to honor a contract with a team he didn't sign up to play for. 
that's crap.  that mentality would put an end to any trades between franchises. 

He's getting paid very handsomely to play a game for crying out loud.  if he hates playing in Minnesota that much, let him quit the league and go flip burgers/work a real job and see how fast he warms up to playing in Minny then.

the truth of the matter is he is an employee of the league with a modicum of choice in where he gets to 'work' when he signs a contract.  if he wants to avoid being a trade chip, he can sign shorter contracts or negotiate a no-trade clause in his deal. 

no sympathy whatsoever for overpaid crybabies.
this is just silly.  you should absolutely get to choose where you work and no one should be forced to work some place they don't want to work.  Just imagine that in your own life and your own profession.  If he wants to sit out and not get paid, more power to him.  Again, he isn't getting paid if he just decides not to show up.  If he wants to give up millions of dollars, that should be his right.  He never choose to work in Minnesota and he absolutely shouldn't be forced to do so now.

That said, I don't think he just sat out to force a trade.  I think he needs to rest his wrist which he had offseason surgery on. 
you must be one of those fortunate people who's employers don't change locations.  I'm not.  I do have the option to find another employer but there needs to be one in a location I like that has a job opening that will compensate me fairly. 

no sympathy for Butler.  If Minny bothers him that much I'll gladly change jobs and financial compensation with him.   I can't dunk but I'll gladly give it my all in Minny
I've actually been transferred by an employer.  It sucks, but you have to make the decision that works for you.  For me, transferring was the right call, but that was of course the same employer.  I knew who I was working for, what it was like, etc.  I've never been forced to switch employers or cities through no control of my own, and I would be surprised if anyone in here did as that really is something unique to professional sports.  You always have a choice on where to work, except to you if you are a professional athlete.  They apparently always have to show up and work even if their whole life is thrown upside down through no fault of their own.  That seems pretty communist to me and I prefer a free society.
Not at all.  He signed a contract.  Minny can actually legally fire him if he doesn't show up for work.  They are being lenient by only docking his pay for the no-show day.

Many of us are employees-at-will, no contract.  I'd like to hear from someone who signed a contract for their current job.

« Reply #421 on: November 01, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Always been a Butler fan but really wish he would just suck it up & play.

It's a bad look for him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2018, 10:36:33 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
To be fair, Butler signed a contract with the Bulls.  He never chose to play in Minnesota.  He was traded there and he had no choice in the matter.

eh.  I don't buy that argument at all.  A player should absolutely be allowed to choose where he wants to play.  If he doesn't want to play he shouldn't be forced to.  He shouldn't be paid of course if he doesn't play, but he absolutely shouldn't be forced to honor a contract with a team he didn't sign up to play for. 

He's getting paid very handsomely to play a game for crying out loud.  if he hates playing in Minnesota that much, let him quit the league and go flip burgers/work a real job and see how fast he warms up to playing in Minny then.

the truth of the matter is he is an employee of the league with a modicum of choice in where he gets to 'work' when he signs a contract.  if he wants to avoid being a trade chip, he can sign shorter contracts or negotiate a no-trade clause in his deal. 

this is just silly.  you should absolutely get to choose where you work and no one should be forced to work some place they don't want to work.  Just imagine that in your own life and your own profession.  If he wants to sit out and not get paid, more power to him.  Again, he isn't getting paid if he just decides not to show up.  If he wants to give up millions of dollars, that should be his right.  He never choose to work in Minnesota and he absolutely shouldn't be forced to do so now.

That said, I don't think he just sat out to force a trade.  I think he needs to rest his wrist which he had offseason surgery on. 
you must be one of those fortunate people who's employers don't change locations.  I'm not.  I do have the option to find another employer but there needs to be one in a location I like that has a job opening that will compensate me fairly. 

no sympathy for Butler.  If Minny bothers him that much I'll gladly change jobs and financial compensation with him.   I can't dunk but I'll gladly give it my all in Minny
I've actually been transferred by an employer.  It sucks, but you have to make the decision that works for you.  For me, transferring was the right call, but that was of course the same employer.  I knew who I was working for, what it was like, etc.  I've never been forced to switch employers or cities through no control of my own, and I would be surprised if anyone in here did as that really is something unique to professional sports.  You always have a choice on where to work, except to you if you are a professional athlete.  They apparently always have to show up and work even if their whole life is thrown upside down through no fault of their own.  That seems pretty communist to me and I prefer a free society.

A) don't sign with the nba
B) sign a shorter contract
C) play

« Reply #423 on: November 01, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

well, the NBA is his employer technically so he's still working for the same employer.  he may not be working in what would translate to 'the same corporate division' that the rest of us would relate to. 

does it suck having to be relocated?  sure.  but wasn't he looking to get out of Chicago?

putting that aside, he's not a child nor stupid.  he knows he's playing in a professional sports league and trades are part of the standard business process in every professional league.  pouting over being traded or being traded somewhere he doesn't like is unfortunate for him personally but it's part of being an employee of the NBA.   

again, if he doesn't like being a trade chip, he can sign shorter deals to make him less appealing or give him the option of moving on to a preferable location after his deal expires at the end of a season or two.  it's a grown-up option he has while making more money in a year playing a game that most people won't make in a lifetime of actual hard work-->weighing the benefit of signing a long-term deal for financial security vs the benefit of being able to move to a location of his choice/preventing a trade to a location he doesn't like.   Hell, if he wanted both he should have pushed for no-trade deal or a trade-kicker clause that made a trade for him prohibitive.

« Reply #424 on: November 01, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

A) don't sign with the nba
B) sign a shorter contract
C) play

A) sign in the NBA but use whatever leverage you can to make the most money possible
B) take advantage of long-term guaranteed money and use whatever leverage you can to make the most money possible
C) play hard for your team as long as you and your family are set up with long-term financial security

Teams should absolutely use whatever leverage they have to get the best players for the least amount of money so that their franchise can be financially successful.

Players should absolutely use whatever leverage they have to get the most money so that they can be financially successful.

It's a business. If you don't think the Billionaire owners will take advantage of the players to pay them as little as possible, it's naive. Players should do the same.

« Reply #425 on: November 01, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

well, the NBA is his employer technically so he's still working for the same employer.  he may not be working in what would translate to 'the same corporate division' that the rest of us would relate to. 

does it suck having to be relocated?  sure.  but wasn't he looking to get out of Chicago?

putting that aside, he's not a child nor stupid.  he knows he's playing in a professional sports league and trades are part of the standard business process in every professional league.  pouting over being traded or being traded somewhere he doesn't like is unfortunate for him personally but it's part of being an employee of the NBA.   

again, if he doesn't like being a trade chip, he can sign shorter deals to make him less appealing or give him the option of moving on to a preferable location after his deal expires at the end of a season or two.  it's a grown-up option he has while making more money in a year playing a game that most people won't make in a lifetime of actual hard work-->weighing the benefit of signing a long-term deal for financial security vs the benefit of being able to move to a location of his choice/preventing a trade to a location he doesn't like.   Hell, if he wanted both he should have pushed for no-trade deal or a trade-kicker clause that made a trade for him prohibitive.
He is not employed by the NBA, he is employed by the team.  The NBA is a governing body which oversees all of the teams, but the teams are the actual employers of the players. 

No employer can force any employee to work.  The employers recourse would be whatever is in the contract, but generally it just involves not paying the employee, barring the employee from working someone else during the life of the contract, termination of the contract (which would never be used in this sort of case), and not a whole lot else. 

Some very communist level opinions in this thread about forcing people to work.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #426 on: November 01, 2018, 11:55:25 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

He is not employed by the NBA, he is employed by the team.  The NBA is a governing body which oversees all of the teams, but the teams are the actual employers of the players. 

No employer can force any employee to work.  The employers recourse would be whatever is in the contract, but generally it just involves not paying the employee, barring the employee from working someone else during the life of the contract, termination of the contract (which would never be used in this sort of case), and not a whole lot else. 

Only as communist as the draft, salary cap, max salaries, trades, restricted free agency, etc.  Wait, that stuff is actually kind of communist.  :o

Like you said, Butler has the right to sit out.  You had the right to quit your job when you got transferred.  We all have these rights.  God bless America and the end of slavery.

But if you want to be a part of something, you abide by the rules and structure of it.  Jimmy wants to be part of the NBA and get that $190m max contract, but it's the rules and structure that the NBA has put in place that allows for that.  Trades, draft rights, etc., this allows teams like Minnesota to field a good NBA team, it's what puts talent in OKC and New Orleans and San Antonio and Utah, etc., it's a big part of what enables the NBA to pay out over $3.6b to players this year.  Star players choosing not to honor their contract only so they can play with other teams undermines the whole structure of the league.

I'll echo Donoghus, I always liked Jimmy, but this whole thing is not a good look for him.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:03:49 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #427 on: November 01, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Only as communist as the draft, salary cap, max salaries, trades, restricted free agency, etc.  Wait, that stuff is actually kind of communist.  :o

Like you said, Butler has the right to sit out.  You had the right to quit your job when you got transferred.  We all have these rights.  Gold bless America and the end of slavery.

But if you want to be a part of something, you abide by the rules and structure of it.  Jimmy wants to be part of the NBA and get that $190m max contract, but it's the rules and structure that the NBA has put in place that allows for that.  Trades, draft rights, etc., this allows teams like Minnesota to field a good NBA team, it's what puts talent in OKC and New Orleans and San Antonio and Utah, etc., it's a big part of what enables the NBA to pay out over $3.6b to players this year.  Star players choosing not to honor their contract only so they can play with other teams undermines the whole structure of the league.

I'll echo Donoghus, I always liked Jimmy, but this whole thing is not a good look for him.
Ah, but there is the rub.  There isn't a rule that forces you to play.  No player has to play.  If they want to get paid they do, but they certainly don't have to.  If he is truly sitting out when healthy, it isn't a good look, just like it wasn't for Leonard last year, but it didn't seem to affect Leonard's financial outlook all that much and it probably won't affect Butler's either. 

« Reply #428 on: November 01, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Like you said, Butler has the right to sit out.  You had the right to quit your job when you got transferred.  We all have these rights.  God bless America and the end of slavery.

Ah, but there is the rub.  There isn't a rule that forces you to play.  No player has to play.  If they want to get paid they do, but they certainly don't have to.  If he is truly sitting out when healthy, it isn't a good look, just like it wasn't for Leonard last year, but it didn't seem to affect Leonard's financial outlook all that much and it probably won't affect Butler's either.

In the wise words of Homer Simpson...

Here's a question for those that want Butler to play:

Would you rather Butler sit out or sand bag it while he suits up (anybody remember Vince Carter's final half season in Toronto?).  I'll give Butler this, at least he's playing hard still when he does play.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:01:38 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #429 on: November 02, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Butler back out there tonight.  As I suspected, he just needed some extra rest on the wrist.

« Reply #430 on: November 04, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
if Celtics continue to struggle, u think Ainge might try and pull off a trade? i do
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #431 on: November 04, 2018, 10:52:51 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
if Celtics continue to struggle, u think Ainge might try and pull off a trade? i do

Assuming contracts matched up and Butler was willing to re-sign with us, I wonder how many Cs fans would do a Hayward for Butler swap.

« Reply #432 on: November 04, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
i

Assuming contracts matched up and Butler was willing to re-sign with us, I wonder how many Cs fans would do a Hayward for Butler swap.
i rather have Butler than Hayward
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #433 on: November 04, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Salary wise I think we could fit in Smart (when he becomes trade eligible), Morris, and filler like Theis plus some arrangement of our picks for Butler.  Then the question becomes do we want to re-sign him in the off-season to a big contract as a 30 year old.   

« Reply #434 on: November 04, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Resting again tonight according to beat reporters