3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 49712 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)
« Reply #300 on: October 08, 2018, 09:33:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I'm watching the beginning of the Magic-Heat preseason game right now (wanted to get a glimpse Bamba and Iwundu), but they have done nothing but talk about Richardson the entire time. They had a brief interview with Spo about him. They ran multiple stats highlighting him on defense, blocking, and shooting. Then, the announcers did nothing but talk about him for the first few minutes of the game.

The cynic in me says this is an organizational effort to boost Richardson's trade value in the trade for Butler.

I like Richardson. I like him a lot. I think he can still go up another level as a player. I think he would be a great get in a trade for Butler. But he is probably the 3rd best starter on the Heat, and even that may be generous.

Dragic is definitely better but who else on the roster is definitely better? Whitside and Winslow? I guess I don't know the Heat's roster well enough to know where he ranks....
I personally would have James Johnson ahead of him, Dragic as you mention, and perhaps Whiteside. Whiteside is certainly more gifted, just a bonehead

Yeah, I could see that but as I'm looking over Miami's roster construction, they really overpaid for some role players.
Tyler Johnson most especially, although he always seems to dominate against us, mysteriously
They matched Johnson didn't they?  Wasn't that a Nets contract offer like Crabbe who was also matched and then they ended up with anyway?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #301 on: October 08, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I'm watching the beginning of the Magic-Heat preseason game right now (wanted to get a glimpse Bamba and Iwundu), but they have done nothing but talk about Richardson the entire time. They had a brief interview with Spo about him. They ran multiple stats highlighting him on defense, blocking, and shooting. Then, the announcers did nothing but talk about him for the first few minutes of the game.

The cynic in me says this is an organizational effort to boost Richardson's trade value in the trade for Butler.

I like Richardson. I like him a lot. I think he can still go up another level as a player. I think he would be a great get in a trade for Butler. But he is probably the 3rd best starter on the Heat, and even that may be generous.

Dragic is definitely better but who else on the roster is definitely better? Whitside and Winslow? I guess I don't know the Heat's roster well enough to know where he ranks....
I personally would have James Johnson ahead of him, Dragic as you mention, and perhaps Whiteside. Whiteside is certainly more gifted, just a bonehead

Yeah, I could see that but as I'm looking over Miami's roster construction, they really overpaid for some role players.
Tyler Johnson most especially, although he always seems to dominate against us, mysteriously
They matched Johnson didn't they?  Wasn't that a Nets contract offer like Crabbe who was also matched and then they ended up with anyway?
I think you're right, 4/50 was his deal. However, it was incredibly back-heavy, so it was basically 5.6/5.8/19.2/19.2, so it's quite ugly now.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #302 on: October 08, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Tyler Johnson contract looks bad, but it was really a $50M/4 year contract. The first two years of the contract only paid him like $11M combined; it's the last two years of $19M+ each that makes his contract look insane.

Anyway, I hope this Butler stuff gets worked out soon. There is only another week or so before the season starts. It's going to be weird if he just isn't playing, but still a part of the Wolves.

EDIT: tp to gouki for beating me to the Johnson contract details.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:56:19 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #303 on: October 08, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Tyler Johnson contract looks bad, but it was really a $50M/4 year contract. The first two years of the contract only paid him like $11M combined; it's the last two years of $19M+ each that makes his contract looked insane.

Anyway, I hope this Butler stuff gets worked out soon. There is only another week or so before the season starts. It's going to be weird if he just isn't playing, but still a part of the Wolves.

Danny Ainge  would never sign this kind of contract. It's what keeps your team from contending.

« Reply #304 on: October 09, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The Wolves are getting into a powerplay with Butler and it's not going to end well. The longer they drag it out the worse it will be...

« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2018, 11:56:37 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The Wolves are getting into a powerplay with Butler and it's not going to end well. The longer they drag it out the worse it will be...

I don't necessarily agree. I know it's typical to make the team the bad guy in this situation, but I think this is hurting Butler too.

Ultimately, the Wolves will find a team that pays close to what they want. In fact, the narrative I suggested yesterday was that McDonough for the Suns was unwilling to include Jackson in a trade for Butler, which ultimately led (with his other questionable moves) to him getting fired. Now, you have to wonder if a Chandler, Jackson, Warren for Dieng and Butler would get it done.

That's better than Bam, Richardson, and Johnson package from the Heat.

That's probably better than the Harris, Gortat, Robinson package from the Clippers.

« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The Tyler Johnson contract looks bad, but it was really a $50M/4 year contract. The first two years of the contract only paid him like $11M combined; it's the last two years of $19M+ each that makes his contract looked insane.

Danny Ainge  would never sign this kind of contract. It's what keeps your team from contending.

I don't know all the details on this specific contract, but usually when they have a massive jump like that the cap hit is spread evenly across the contract. So from a cap standpoint, it's no different than a 4/$50 million contract worth $12.5 million every year
I'm bitter.

« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I don't know all the details on this specific contract, but usually when they have a massive jump like that the cap hit is spread evenly across the contract. So from a cap standpoint, it's no different than a 4/$50 million contract worth $12.5 million every year

It makes future flexibility harder with the way it's structured and it's an overpay.

« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I don't necessarily agree. I know it's typical to make the team the bad guy in this situation, but I think this is hurting Butler too.

Ultimately, the Wolves will find a team that pays close to what they want. In fact, the narrative I suggested yesterday was that McDonough for the Suns was unwilling to include Jackson in a trade for Butler, which ultimately led (with his other questionable moves) to him getting fired. Now, you have to wonder if a Chandler, Jackson, Warren for Dieng and Butler would get it done.

That's probably better than the Harris, Gortat, Robinson package from the Clippers.

That Phoenix deal does look better. But I think Jackson is a good prospect and a good fit for the Timberwolves.

« Reply #309 on: October 09, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Better not keep him all season..he leave and wont get nothing..look at Phoenix with Amare and Toronto with Chris Bosh..they left and got nothing..hurt them for awhile
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #310 on: October 09, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It makes future flexibility harder with the way it's structured and it's an overpay.

It works the same way in a trade as a contract with flat salary. The only difference is the actual money paid, but salary matching and cap hits are the same. It has no effect on flexibility. As for being an overpay, that has nothing to do with the structure of the contract.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #311 on: October 09, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

That Phoenix deal does look better. But I think Jackson is a good prospect and a good fit for the Timberwolves.

Is there any chance Butler resigns in Phoenix to play with Booker, Ariza, Bridges and Ayton? If he thought Towns, Wiggins, Rose, Teague and Gibson was not a competitive squad what is he going to think of going even younger and less accomplished?

« Reply #312 on: October 09, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Better not keep him all season..he leave and wont get nothing..look at Phoenix with Amare and Toronto with Chris Bosh..they left and got nothing..hurt them for awhile
Toronto got 2 first round picks for Bosh, including their own pick back that became a top 5 pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #313 on: October 09, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Is there any chance Butler resigns in Phoenix to play with Booker, Ariza, Bridges and Ayton? If he thought Towns, Wiggins, Rose, Teague and Gibson was not a competitive squad what is he going to think of going even younger and less accomplished?

I think Booker is the best player on that list.

« Reply #314 on: October 10, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Woj (Drama) Bomb:

All-Star Jimmy Butler participated in Minnesota's practice, a session that included him verbally challenging teammates, coaches and front office, league sources told ESPN. Butler was vociferous and emotional at times, targeting Thibodeau/Layden/Towns/Wiggins. Story soon on ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050099591226552320

Lol update:

At one point in a scrimmage, sources said, Butler turned to GM Scott Layden and screamed, "You (bleeping) need me. You can't win without me." Butler left teammates and coaches largely speechless. He dominated the gym in every way. Jimmy's back.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1050102251262480386

Sounds like a normal, healthy atmosphere over there in Minnesota. Although honestly, depending on how it got taken this kind of thing could unify the team, albeit probably against Butler.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:18:27 PM by fairweatherfan »