Author Topic: Blown leads  (Read 9282 times)

Re: Blown leads
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2024, 02:43:42 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
https://x.com/tomhaberstroh/status/1773393248859369895?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Haberstroh argues that the C’s should be going more to JB in clutch time than JT, with JB’s usage rate crashing in clutch time and JB having much better overall percentages than JT during clutch time.

I think part of this certainly shot selection, with JB many times more willing/able to get to the basket in those moments. I also think it’s a matchup issue, with JT always getting the better wing defender and Brown getting the lesser defender. But if that’s the case, that’s even more reason to get Brown more  involved to exploit that matchup.

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2024, 03:06:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://x.com/tomhaberstroh/status/1773393248859369895?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Haberstroh argues that the C’s should be going more to JB in clutch time than JT, with JB’s usage rate crashing in clutch time and JB having much better overall percentages than JT during clutch time.

I think part of this certainly shot selection, with JB many times more willing/able to get to the basket in those moments. I also think it’s a matchup issue, with JT always getting the better wing defender and Brown getting the lesser defender. But if that’s the case, that’s even more reason to get Brown more  involved to exploit that matchup.

It seems very obvious to me that we need more diversity in the offense down the stretch.  We're too predictable, and shots end up constantly contested because of the lack of ball movement.

Brown should get more shots, and JT should get less.  But KP, White, Jrue, etc., should all see the ball more.  The "put the ball in the hands of your best player" makes sense if your team is top-heavy, but when you have an excellent, offensively balanced team there's no reason to do that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2024, 06:17:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Blowing a 10-point lead in the "3-pointers or bust" era isn't a big deal, as it takes only 3 shots to pretty much make up that deficit, but blowing a 30-point lead is a good bit harder to do, even with all the threes.

But blown leads are just one part of Boston's larger "end of quarter/end of game" issue—blowing leads, offense stagnating to the low-efficiency (and entirely predictable) Tatum isos, allowing opponents to go on miniruns that significantly cut into Boston's lead.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2024, 12:22:06 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Blowing a 10-point lead in the "3-pointers or bust" era isn't a big deal, as it takes only 3 shots to pretty much make up that deficit, but blowing a 30-point lead is a good bit harder to do, even with all the threes.

But blown leads are just one part of Boston's larger "end of quarter/end of game" issue—blowing leads, offense stagnating to the low-efficiency (and entirely predictable) Tatum isos, allowing opponents to go on miniruns that significantly cut into Boston's lead.

Not really mini-runs, more max-runs. We've seen teams run off double-digit to zero spurts without a timeout.
Joe, it's been two seasons now, that strategy does not help. The players have not learned much of anything by "figuring it out themselves".
The end-of-game possessions have been mind-boggling. Maybe Joe doesn't know any plays or the guy is brain-dead.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2024, 10:02:54 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

It seems very obvious to me that we need more diversity in the offense down the stretch.  We're too predictable, and shots end up constantly contested because of the lack of ball movement.

Brown should get more shots, and JT should get less.  But KP, White, Jrue, etc., should all see the ball more.  The "put the ball in the hands of your best player" makes sense if your team is top-heavy, but when you have an excellent, offensively balanced team there's no reason to do that.

This is a fair criticism of Joe Mazzulla. TP.

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2024, 10:57:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Interestingly, Joe took the ball out of Tatum's hands on the second-to-last possession in OT, and it worked.  I hope he sees it as an experiment that worked, and we try it more.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2024, 05:14:03 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Interestingly, Joe took the ball out of Tatum's hands on the second-to-last possession in OT, and it worked.  I hope he sees it as an experiment that worked, and we try it more.
Yep. I'll never understand why teams default to iso in those situations when player movement almost always results in a better shot.

Although, that shot from JB was really a big time shot, not exactly a great look. I trust Tatum's decision making more that Brown's but when it comes to just needing a bucket with the clock winding down, I do trust Brown more.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008