Author Topic: Celtics fan from Europe visiting Boston  (Read 21526 times)

Celtics fan from Europe visiting Boston
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »

Offline Walker8

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Dear Bostonians, Dear Celtics Fans,

I am Zsolt writing you from Hungary, Europe.
Me a Celtics fan since Toines rookie year and also a Bruins and RedSox fan for more than 10 years finally put it together and will be visiting Beantown for a week from 17th of April and from 24th will be in New York for a week coming back to Boston in 30th before the day of my flight home.
I plan on visiting all the major sights in both cities and attending as much sports events as I can as I still believe both Celts and Bruins will make the playoffs.

I would like to ask you which is the best available source to buy tickets to Celtics and Bruins games maybe a few days before the games. I heard about a few sites (ticketmaster.com or aceticket.com) but not sure which one you would suggest.
Also please let me know which are the seats in TD Garden and Fenway where I can get the best value and view for the price.

Also any tip, info or suggestion would be much appreciated on what I should not miss and must visit in these 2 weeks in BOS and NY.

Thank you very much for your help in advance,

Zsolt Szalai

Re: Celtics fan from Europe visiting Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A good place to check out is stubhub.com.

The coolest seats at Fenway are probably the "Monster" seats, but they'll be pricey.  In the Garden, the closer to midcourt the better, but really, everywhere has pretty good site lines.  I usually like the lower section of the balcony.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:46:32 PM »

Offline Walker8

• Jaden Springer
Great info.
Thanks for your help,

A good place to check out is stubhub.com.

The coolest seats at Fenway are probably the "Monster" seats, but they'll be pricey.  In the Garden, the closer to midcourt the better, but really, everywhere has pretty good site lines.  I usually like the lower section of the balcony.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The NBA has been pushing its own ticket exchange for a bit now -- aptly named nbatickets.com. Never shopped from there myself, though.

As far as seats in the Garden are concerned, I don't think you can really go wrong -- it's really mostly about your price range. I've been on the very top on the balcony, and the view is still pretty decent considering how many rows above the court you are. Of course, the experience is probably better if you're in the lodges below the club seating -- but someone who's actually sat there is probably better equipped to attest to that :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Visited the States Boston (4days) and New York (8days) last summer for the first time from Europe as well. Can´t reccomend any place for tickets but I will give you some reommodations for what you can visit.

In Boston, I would reccomend to walk the "Freedom Trial" its a path through the city and takes you along the most historical buildings of Boston and is an easy way to get a free city tour by walk.
You can check the Bill Russel statue which is placed next to the Boston City Hall and there are some things to explore in the area around.
You can visit Harvard (free)
Get on top of the Prudential Tower (Def. worth the money)
Go Shopping at Wrentham Premium Outlet (Depending on your Budget, and I don´t know how much clothes cost in Hungary, but for me as a German it was a great deal. I was allowed to bring back stuff for 450€ and I basicly spend all of it in a wrentham outlet in Philly(and I realy was on a Budget but it was just so much cheaper compared to Germany especialy Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger) In Boston as in Philly it´s 1,5h or something outside of the city centre so you have to check trains/busses or rent a car but if you want to do some shopping it will be worth the way.

In New York.
Spend some hours in the Central park (really loved the Central Park!)
Get on top of the Rockefeller Center (other option is Empire State Building, I rec. Rockefeller)(Must do!)
Visit Wall Street/Ground Zero/Downtown and take a Fery to the Statue of Liberty (free Fery with Metroticket)
Visit the Time Square(Must do!)
Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge(Must do!)
Just walking around in Midtown/Downtown of Manhattin is pretty Amazing
ChinaTown/Little Italay/SoHo
If you want to go out in the evening, the "hip" parts of Brooklyn is the place to be. (Nightlife in the US sucks(no offense guys :) ) compared to Europe, but I guess your not looking for that anyways)
If you feel like you have a day left to spend, you can make a 1 day trip to Philly by Bus (traveling by Bus is very cheap(Megabus, Greyhound))

In both Cities buy a 1 week Metro pass. Everything can be easily visited using subway and it is definitly worth the mobility for the price.

Genral Advice: If there are no prices indicated, it is most likely expensive. Consider that there are no taxes included in the shown prices. Waiters will expect decent Tipping.

Have a great time, if you have further questions, feel free to ask
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:34:42 PM by e4sym0de »

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 06:32:35 AM »

Offline Walker8

• Jaden Springer
Thanks for your info!

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
When you're in Boston, I'd recommend taking a Duck Tour, if they're up and running (I think they will be).  It's a great way to see the city quickly, in an entertaining way.

If you want to splurge on a great meal, the food at Grille 23 is amazing.  Some people complain about the stuff atmosphere, but it's never been a problem for me, the service is impeccable, and the food (if you like steak) is the best in the city, in my opinion.

And of course, go to the North End.  And, even though it's touristy, Mike's Pastry is worth the inevitably long line that there will be.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:00:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
 outdoor cafe's newbury street-high end shopping-best mens store louis very exclusive and georgio armani --great street for people watching-my favorite restaurant mistral around corner from grill 23 -grille 23 is too noisy and tables can be too close together-

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
grille 23 is too noisy and tables can be too close together-

Those are fighting words. ;)

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The NBA has been pushing its own ticket exchange for a bit now -- aptly named nbatickets.com. Never shopped from there myself, though.

As far as seats in the Garden are concerned, I don't think you can really go wrong -- it's really mostly about your price range. I've been on the very top on the balcony, and the view is still pretty decent considering how many rows above the court you are. Of course, the experience is probably better if you're in the lodges below the club seating -- but someone who's actually sat there is probably better equipped to attest to that :P
Last time I went to a game (last season) I had a seat there through a really special deal.  seats were a bit cramped (for legroom and I'm short) but thankfully there were only a few of us in that box so we had room to spread out.  very good view of the game.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Stubhub.com every time. I sat Pistons v Celtics for $18, 2nd row balcony. Tickets prices range depending on the match up but you can usually find a great deal.

All the above stuff is great:
Duck Tour
Freedom Trail (the Granary Burying Ground stop is cool, Paul Revere is buried there)
Mike's Pastry and the North End in general

Also try:
Museum of Fine Arts
Museum of Science
Faneuil Hall (food & shopping)
Downtown Crossing (Winter street)
Boston Common & the Frog Pond
Boston Gardens (next to the Common) & the Swan Boats
The New England Aquarium

You could make a great day out of visiting the Common, Gardens, Faneuil Hall, and Downtown Crossing. The Freedom Trail run along or near all of these things.

You can find a lot of good stuff on:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60745-Activities-Boston_Massachusetts.html

I hope you have fun! Lived in Boston all through college and now I live a short drive away. My favorite big city by far.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Also if you're interested, you can catch the ferry from Boston to Salem at the Long Wharf. Salem, MA is famous for the Salem Witch Trials and has a bunch of cool museums and attractions (Witch and Pirate museums). It's a funky little city with a lot going on, especially if you're into ghosts and goblins and all that!

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/salem-ferry/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60954-Activities-Salem_Massachusetts.html

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »

Offline Walker8

• Jaden Springer
Thank you all for all these useful suggestions.
I will act accordingly.
I cant wait until 2 weeks from today:)
Bruins took a great step forward with last nights comeback, all I need for easter weekend is some Celtics wins! :)
Thanks again,

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Thank you all for all these useful suggestions.
I will act accordingly.
I cant wait until 2 weeks from today:)
Bruins took a great step forward with last nights comeback, all I need for easter weekend is some Celtics wins! :)
Thanks again,

Just make sure you check in after the trip and let us know how it goes.

We'll be expecting you to provide similar tips if we decide to go to Hungary.  (I had an opportunity to go to Budapest with friends once, and passed it up for Amsterdam.  From what I hear, I made a tremendous mistake.)

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »

Offline Walker8

• Jaden Springer
For sure I can help if someone is coming to Hungary.
There are a lot of places worth seeing is Budapest so I would really suggest spending a few days here for anybody.