Author Topic: Can Tatum play PF?  (Read 6055 times)

Re: Can Tatum play PF?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2021, 04:39:24 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
depends on the match-up

I never understood this line of thinking.

If there is a matchup that he has a problem with, he has to be a problem for his opponent, and he has to be the bigger problem. If he's good enough, the other team is the team that has to adjust.
Tatum can't take, nor should the team want him to, be forced to defend inside.  It is physically wearing on a player to consistently have to guard bigger men, especially when the bigger men effectively utilize that size.  Now sure those bigger men have to guard Tatum as well, which can serve an advantage, but I'd rather not have Tatum be exhausted and worn out game after game because of the strain of guarding beasts in the posts.  Good way to get injured as well. 

So sure against many teams it isn't a problem, but it is a problem against a lot of teams, many of which are playoff contenders in the East, like Milwaukee, Atlanta, Indiana, etc.
What you're saying is true but how many 4's in today's NBA are inside players? It seems like most NBA teams have pf's who are mostly outisde guys now as well so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
I listed 3 teams where the PF's are bigger than Tatum, are good to great offensive players, and are able to effectively play in the post.  2 of those teams just played in the ECF and the other is a playoff contender.  But even if they do play on the perimeter, it is still draining consistently guarding bigger men all game long. 

Tatum is at his best as a SF guarding SF's.  That is the position he should be playing.  Sure short bursts here and there are fine, but if Tatum is the full time PF, that is a bad position.
Milwaukee - Giannis. You're right on this one but Giannis is an impossible cover for anyone.

Indiana - Turner and Sabonis start together, so you're right here as well, but Indy seems like it's trying to ditch Turner because playing that big hasn't helped them.

Atlanta - John Collins is an inch taller than Tatum and almost never plays out of the post.

So you listed 2 teams, in the entire NBA.
Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Jaren Jackson, etc.  I picked 3 teams that were playoff contenders in the East, not the only 3 teams that have big strong PF's. 

But the over arching point is, Tatum is best suited playing SF, both offensively and defensively.  That is what his skill set works best at.

You seem to be overthinking this. Some of the most physical players in the NBA play small forward. LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, Miles Bridges, Marcus Morris all put shoulders into you all night, and they are all a lot stronger than Tatum. Several younger guys are pretty powerful too and will be doing the same soon. Its basketball and its the NBA.
Sure, but they don't do it under the basket and it isn't the wear and tear from the best players you have to worry about. 

Tatum is not a PF and should not play PF.  He can do it for short bursts here and there, but if he is the team's full time PF you end up with a season like the last one.

I'm not sure that your assertions about under the basket or the best players makes any sense, but you don't want Jaylen doing this either. The team has a pile up of depth at the 2-3 spots, and our best power forward is someone another team just let go last year in Parker.

If you don't want Tatum and Brown playing power forward, we need to actually get a power forward, and that is not easy to do. We haven't had one since Marcus Morris left.
Yes we do.  I've been saying that for awhile.  The team needs a legit PF.  Doesn't have to be a great player, but they need someone that can actually play the position for 30 minutes a night.

OK, but again, that produces a pileup at the 2/3, and Langford, Nesmith and Fournier are all players with lots of potential to help the C's going forward, but none have much trade value at the moment.

Re: Can Tatum play PF?
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2021, 05:18:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
depends on the match-up

I never understood this line of thinking.

If there is a matchup that he has a problem with, he has to be a problem for his opponent, and he has to be the bigger problem. If he's good enough, the other team is the team that has to adjust.
Tatum can't take, nor should the team want him to, be forced to defend inside.  It is physically wearing on a player to consistently have to guard bigger men, especially when the bigger men effectively utilize that size.  Now sure those bigger men have to guard Tatum as well, which can serve an advantage, but I'd rather not have Tatum be exhausted and worn out game after game because of the strain of guarding beasts in the posts.  Good way to get injured as well. 

So sure against many teams it isn't a problem, but it is a problem against a lot of teams, many of which are playoff contenders in the East, like Milwaukee, Atlanta, Indiana, etc.
What you're saying is true but how many 4's in today's NBA are inside players? It seems like most NBA teams have pf's who are mostly outisde guys now as well so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
I listed 3 teams where the PF's are bigger than Tatum, are good to great offensive players, and are able to effectively play in the post.  2 of those teams just played in the ECF and the other is a playoff contender.  But even if they do play on the perimeter, it is still draining consistently guarding bigger men all game long. 

Tatum is at his best as a SF guarding SF's.  That is the position he should be playing.  Sure short bursts here and there are fine, but if Tatum is the full time PF, that is a bad position.
Milwaukee - Giannis. You're right on this one but Giannis is an impossible cover for anyone.

Indiana - Turner and Sabonis start together, so you're right here as well, but Indy seems like it's trying to ditch Turner because playing that big hasn't helped them.

Atlanta - John Collins is an inch taller than Tatum and almost never plays out of the post.

So you listed 2 teams, in the entire NBA.
Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Jaren Jackson, etc.  I picked 3 teams that were playoff contenders in the East, not the only 3 teams that have big strong PF's. 

But the over arching point is, Tatum is best suited playing SF, both offensively and defensively.  That is what his skill set works best at.

You seem to be overthinking this. Some of the most physical players in the NBA play small forward. LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, Miles Bridges, Marcus Morris all put shoulders into you all night, and they are all a lot stronger than Tatum. Several younger guys are pretty powerful too and will be doing the same soon. Its basketball and its the NBA.
Sure, but they don't do it under the basket and it isn't the wear and tear from the best players you have to worry about. 

Tatum is not a PF and should not play PF.  He can do it for short bursts here and there, but if he is the team's full time PF you end up with a season like the last one.

I'm not sure that your assertions about under the basket or the best players makes any sense, but you don't want Jaylen doing this either. The team has a pile up of depth at the 2-3 spots, and our best power forward is someone another team just let go last year in Parker.

If you don't want Tatum and Brown playing power forward, we need to actually get a power forward, and that is not easy to do. We haven't had one since Marcus Morris left.
Yes we do.  I've been saying that for awhile.  The team needs a legit PF.  Doesn't have to be a great player, but they need someone that can actually play the position for 30 minutes a night.

OK, but again, that produces a pileup at the 2/3, and Langford, Nesmith and Fournier are all players with lots of potential to help the C's going forward, but none have much trade value at the moment.
I don't care much about role players if it sacrifices the star.  Having those guys develop into better role players makes no difference if Tatum gets hurt and can't play.  Tatum should be a SF.  That is his best position both offensively and defensively.  Frankly, Brown should also be a SF, which has always been a problem with the roster (which was even more of a problem when Hayward was around).  Brown, right now, can play SG so he should, but the team absolutely needs an actual PF and has for years. 

The simple reality is, Ainge put together a terribly constructed roster and just kept doubling down on it.  He didn't set up Tatum (and Brown to a lesser extent) to succeed.  From the moment Ainge knew what Tatum could be (i.e. sometime during his rookie year), he should have been doing everything in his power to build the team around Tatum, preferably for when Tatum would be entering his prime.  Ainge failed tremendously at that, but the team shouldn't just keep doubling down on that mistake.  Tatum is a SF.  Build the team around Tatum the SF and go from there. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip