Author Topic: What past Celtic compares to Romeo  (Read 4396 times)

What past Celtic compares to Romeo
« on: April 06, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Watching highlites I kept hearing Tommy going he is going to be a player and that got me thinking .Romeo is so smooth and effortless for a 19 year old rookie.
.Jo Jo White was considered smooth and he played with that ability to make things seen easy.

Re: What past Celtic compares to Romeo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 12:17:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Watching highlites I kept hearing Tommy going he is going to be a player and that got me thinking .Romeo is so smooth and effortless for a 19 year old rookie.
.Jo Jo White was considered smooth and he played with that ability to make things seen easy.

That's an interesting comp.  There are some obvious differences -- Romeo is taller.  Jo Jo was famously tough as nails and we can only hope and dream Romeo could prove to be as durable.

But yeah, one thing that I recall about Jo Jo that Romeo sometimes evokes is just how smooth and comfortable he was at getting close to the basket and making plays within a crowd.   Jo Jo could start at the top of the key and then in a blink he'd be deep in the paint either flipping up a layup or dropping it to a teammate on a roll or attacking the weakside.  And it wouldn't look 'explosive'.  It would just happen before you could think about it.  One second he was out side.  And the next second he was in deep.

Romeo obviously hasn't yet done much at the NBA level, but his few highlight plays are of this nature and it was his trademark play in college.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Thanks for seeing what I saw and I agree that Jo Jo was rock hard but Romeo is 19 spent last season probably not using weights with that thumb. Then the rehab, missing Summer League and most of pre season. There is so much that NBA drills and weight/diet program and a strength coach can do.
I like his centre of gravity and lower body strength it helps getting over screens or when he guarded Lebron James. Imagine that as a rookie, I would have fainted .Romeo with some help forced James into a contested wild miss.
Jo Jo was know for his smooth pullup jumper .Jo Jo White was 24 as a rookie for Celtics.
They also both seem unflappable.

In the past, I thought Evan Turner with his low dribble but Jo Jo was more historical and had that ability in the paint to look so unhurried.
TP for your point of view and not picking apart a very surface comparison.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:23:42 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Marquis Daniels, at least in the way he gets to the rim.  Now he has to learned a few up-fakes or he will continue to get stuffed.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Romeo has potential to be a decent two way player.  He's really good on defense.  I've seen numerous games where he has been switched onto some star players and he makes really good defensive plays.  He forced LeBron into some tough shots, even when they thought they had a mismatch against him.  He's shown great ability to stay in front of his man.  Offensively he's still got a ways to go, but he's shown a lot of potential on that end as well.  I think Romeo will slot in pretty well with the Jay's once Hayward starts to regress from age.  Hopefully Romeo can slot into that role for the team in sync with Hayward falling off.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Evan Turners the first player to come to mind. Maybe a little bit of Jordan Crawford too. I think people are actually going to be pleasantly surprised with Romeo’s playmaking skills and ability to play/guard positions 1-3.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 03:20:22 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
First name that comes to mind is Jaylen Brown. Obviously, he's not a past Celtic. :P

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
First name that comes to mind is Jaylen Brown. Obviously, he's not a past Celtic. :P

I think everyone expected Jaylen Brown to be like Romeo was this year with his shooting, but Brown was a bit better than expected.

They are similar athletically and similar as defenders early in their career.

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 04:01:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Evan Turners the first player to come to mind. Maybe a little bit of Jordan Crawford too. I think people are actually going to be pleasantly surprised with Romeo’s playmaking skills and ability to play/guard positions 1-3.
beat me to it. they play similar styles right now on offense. hopefully romeo learns to shoot from outside.

on defense, i think romeo is better on defense than turner.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 05:32:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
first time i saw him play ,  i instantly thought of Evan Turners offensive set .  His confidence operating in traffic around the foul line . Quick little jump shots and lenght make him hard to guard , plus he seems unafraid of contact in the paint .

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If he can develop a consistent jumper he is going to be a keeper.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Some have mentioned JoJo.

Romeo reminds me of one of JoJo’s backcourt mate, Charlie Scott.

Similar body type and fluidity. Ability to finish at the rim. Good defensive tools and instincts. Man that was a great Tommy team to watch, and Scott was one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:32:24 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 01:18:07 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Greg Minor...

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 05:45:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Some have mentioned JoJo.

Romeo reminds me of one of JoJo’s backcourt mate, Charlie Scott.

Similar body type and fluidity. Ability to finish at the rim. Good defensive tools and instincts. Man that was a great Tommy team to watch, and Scott was one of my favorites.

Could this squad be  the forerunner of small ball with Cowens at center and Tommy as coach.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:38:20 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 01:55:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Marquis Daniels, at least in the way he gets to the rim.  Now he has to learned a few up-fakes or he will continue to get stuffed.
I think this is a great one.