Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417515 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1440 on: April 25, 2019, 07:41:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I haven't read the books, so I'm really not up on a lot of things as many of you guys are, but Im confused about the predictions of Bran dying.

Isn't that what the Night King wants so he can erase all human memory? So why would that happen?

Because the way you hike up the drama and make a positive ending feel earned is by making the audience feel as though the good guys have already lost before the big turnaround.

Of course, if there's a major defeat (as I anticipate) this weekend, most people will assume that at least some of the good guys will figure it out before the close of episode 6.  But if Bran is killed and the Night King seemingly achieves his "goal" then the reaction will be "WELL WHAT THE ???? DO THEY DO NOW?!"

This is basically what Marvel did with Avengers: Infinity War. 

(and you can see this basically formula at work in most good action movies)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1441 on: April 25, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
I haven't read the books, so I'm really not up on a lot of things as many of you guys are, but Im confused about the predictions of Bran dying.

Isn't that what the Night King wants so he can erase all human memory? So why would that happen?

Because the way you hike up the drama and make a positive ending feel earned is by making the audience feel as though the good guys have already lost before the big turnaround.

Of course, if there's a major defeat (as I anticipate) this weekend, most people will assume that at least some of the good guys will figure it out before the close of episode 6.  But if Bran is killed and the Night King seemingly achieves his "goal" then the reaction will be "WELL WHAT THE ???? DO THEY DO NOW?!"

This is basically what Marvel did with Avengers: Infinity War. 

(and you can see this basically formula at work in most good action movies)

thats why when i read   threads like these and glance over theories i keep and open mind...never letting anyone  predict for me..i go all in ignorant..

so much fun that way

*sippin*

hurricane 24oz

« Reply #1442 on: April 25, 2019, 08:34:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

1. It makes the situation seem desperate & hopeless

2. A big part of the overall plot is the blowing up of the old order. If there's no more White Walkers, maybe no dragons, and the seasons go back to normal, there might as well be no 3-eyed Raven either. I think a lot of the magic will get destroyed in the conflict.

*sippin*

hurricane 24oz

24?? Cutting back in your old age?

« Reply #1443 on: April 28, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, the C's won Game 1, so that'll make me feel a bit better about today once we see the heartbreak all unfold tonight.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1444 on: April 28, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Read tonight will be 80 minutes of pretty much just battle scenes. It apparently is much longer than the Battle of Helm's Deep in LOTR: The Two Towers, which is one of the longest battle scenes on film ever.

I think there will be deaths but the Night King and his minions all die forever tonight, IMHO.

« Reply #1445 on: April 28, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Arya. Never would have guessed so I got that part wrong but they did defeat the night king in the episode and the Starks all lived.  No truly major characters died either. Strange episode
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1446 on: April 28, 2019, 10:46:38 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I figured it would be Arya as soon as they gave her that dagger, then it was cemented in that scene about the prophecy. I might have ensured myself a divorce, as I said this all aloud to my wife who had no idea what was coming.

« Reply #1447 on: April 28, 2019, 10:48:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I figured it would be Arya as soon as they gave her that dagger, then it was cemented in that scene about the prophecy. I might have ensured myself a divorce, as I said this all aloud to my wife who had no idea what was coming.
yeah they set it up in the episode but nothing before the episode making it very strange
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1448 on: April 28, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Arya. Never would have guessed so I got that part wrong but they did defeat the night king in the episode and the Starks all lived.  No truly major characters died either. Strange episode

Yeah, definitely a strange episode, but I liked it. The Arya thing was so unsuspected, and I really liked the Red Woman angle. You have to think that Bran knew the outcome the entire time, right?

That said, I do find it a bit strange and contradictory that they handled the White Walker threat before Cersei. I feel like the entire arc of the story was pushing the narrative that the White Walkers abd Army of the Dead were the true focus and greatest evil that they would face, so it seems strange to end with Cersei and have the battle for King’s landing be the final storyline that ends the show.

« Reply #1449 on: April 28, 2019, 10:51:22 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Too many hair’s breadth escapes. : (

(Talking about the way it was filmed more than the result. Characters who were surrounded, with the cameras lingering on their apparent deaths, and then somehow they get away.) .

« Reply #1450 on: April 28, 2019, 10:55:27 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Any thoughts on why Bran warped into the ravens?  Count me as one who figured night king should have been the end boss.  But I guess it’s called game of thrones for a reason.  It all comes down to the iron throne I guess.  Wonder if the books will follow the same path.  I also wonder if the books will ever get finished?

« Reply #1451 on: April 28, 2019, 11:00:37 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Yeah, I’m a bit confused what Bran was warged into the entire time. It showed the ravens at first, but was that what he was doing the entire time of the fighting? If so, why? I figured there’d be more to him warging that whole time and it’d play an integral role into the Night King’s death.

« Reply #1452 on: April 28, 2019, 11:07:46 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Yeah, I’m a bit confused what Bran was warged into the entire time. It showed the ravens at first, but was that what he was doing the entire time of the fighting? If so, why? I figured there’d be more to him warging that whole time and it’d play an integral role into the Night King’s death.

I’m wondering too where he went; hope we’ll be told.

« Reply #1453 on: April 28, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Maybe he warged into the flock of ravens that air lifted Arya into the battle without being detected....

« Reply #1454 on: April 28, 2019, 11:12:07 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
That was basically 80 minutes of not being able to see well. I am disappointed with that episode.

1. Why did the dragons fly off into the middle of nowhere for most of the battle?
2. Why did Bran warg and essentially provide no insight throughout the whole episode?
3. How did Arya get out of that room when no one else could even leave a ten foot radius?
4. Why didn’t we at least find out ANYTHING new about the Army of the Dead?

No one talked during the entire episode. UGH