Author Topic: Pacers (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) Round 1 Game 2 4/17/19  (Read 47824 times)

Re: Pacers (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) Round 1 Game 2 4/17/19
« Reply #690 on: April 17, 2019, 11:00:28 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Celtics have held the Pacers to 5 quarters of 21 or less points in a quarter. Quarters of 21, 20, 8, 12, 17 points given up. That's freaking impressive.

Maybe Indy is shooting bad but I think the Celtics playing some stiffling stretches of defense is the reason.

They really don’t have enough offensive firepower without Oladipo.

We will need to be better defensively and a whole lot better offensively against stronger teams.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #691 on: April 17, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Sorry guys, playing offense this way is not going to get us anywhere near a title. Same reason Houston never gets it done. Everyone is so busy worshipping Kyrie, that they are missing the big picture. Irving's ball dominance has reached new heights in the playoffs. Two players took over half our shots.

That’s on Stevens more so Kyrie. At least Kyrie can actually score.

« Reply #692 on: April 17, 2019, 11:05:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Going to game 3 in Indy, the mindset has to be to figuratively punch Indy in the mouth. They've got to be demoralized with the way they played the final minute of tonight's game.

Just keep taking it right to them and let's get this done in either 4 or 5 games. Best thing to do is knock a reeling team down, last thing you want to do is give them any kind of hope because they will get right back up.

« Reply #693 on: April 17, 2019, 11:13:31 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Sorry guys, playing offense this way is not going to get us anywhere near a title. Same reason Houston never gets it done. Everyone is so busy worshipping Kyrie, that they are missing the big picture. Irving's ball domination has reached new heights in the playoffs. Two players took over half our shots.

Then Ainge needs to package Brown and Tatum to get Anthony Davis. Get 2017 Hayward performance in 2019-2020. And then find a way to get Bradley Beal. Warriors East.  8)

Not the solution I would choose.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #694 on: April 17, 2019, 11:19:47 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Sorry guys, playing offense this way is not going to get us anywhere near a title. Same reason Houston never gets it done. Everyone is so busy worshipping Kyrie, that they are missing the big picture. Irving's ball dominance has reached new heights in the playoffs. Two players took over half our shots.

Other players are perfectly capable of scoring if you include them in the offense - if they are just left to stand in the corner and watch Kyrie dribble, of course they are not going to be effective, not get good shots, not get into any offensive rhythm. Hayward ended the night with zero assists and he is the best playmaker on the team.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #695 on: April 17, 2019, 11:31:55 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Other players are perfectly capable of scoring if you include them in the offense - if they are just left to stand in the corner and watch Kyrie dribble, of course they are not going to be effective, not get good shots, not get into any offensive rhythm. Hayward ended the night with zero assists and he is the best playmaker on the team.

So if Kyrie isn’t including them in the offense why isn’t he being taken out of the game? Accountability starts with the coach.

« Reply #696 on: April 17, 2019, 11:33:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Definitely can't win the title with two players taking half your teams shots.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201606190GSW.html

No one else had it going so Kyrie went into take over mode after the first quarter. That is what you want your stars to do, especially ones who are offensive stars like Kyrie. He brings value by scoring the ball!

« Reply #697 on: April 17, 2019, 11:34:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

So if Kyrie isn’t including them in the offense why isn’t he being taken out of the game? Accountability starts with the coach.
They put him at the two, went small and then ran a series of actions to either get Kyrie a mismatch or someone else a scoring chance. If that's hijacking the offense, its really weird that the lineup was optimized for it and all the other players ran the proper screens and cuts for Kyrie to do his thing.

« Reply #698 on: April 17, 2019, 11:39:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I echo what faf is saying. Why complain when the team is playing terribly and your star player effectively takes over a playoff game against the #1 defense in the league?

Sure, I would love everybody to score 20 a game on high efficiency, but when you have the Morris’ of the world going iso-crazy shooting 0-8, you need Kyrie to step up and he did.

You keep saying that all he does is dribble the air out of the ball. That just doesn’t appear to be what he is doing. He is our PG and our best player, he is likely going to have the ball more often than others.

« Reply #699 on: April 17, 2019, 11:40:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Hopefully Horford is feeling better Friday, he was too passive until the fourth quarter start. I really appreciate him for going all out and playing the whole fourth, the team needed him to give them some offense and he delivered and setup the run to get within 4 when Kyrie finished his rest.

The C's need to stop with the dumb turnovers, so many lazy passes really set them back until the fourth quarter stretch where they locked in. That is my biggest complaint from this game.

« Reply #700 on: April 17, 2019, 11:42:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
As awful as Mook was I didn't mind most of the shots he took. He only put up 8 shots total, 3 threes that were pretty open iirc and 3 where drives attacking the paint, only 1 longer pull up jumper. That's the sort of shot profile you want from a role player, he just needs to make a few and not make the lazy passes and lazy close outs. Those close outs and passes bothered me a lot more.

« Reply #701 on: April 18, 2019, 12:08:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Being a healthy CP3 hamstring away from a trip to the Finals (where they likely beat Cleveland) doesn’t seem like the failure you’re making it out to be.

It’s pretty obvious that you can’t rationally approach Kyrie’s “ball dominance”. Please answer me how it’s Kyrie’s fault that either a) players don’t shoot, b) the ones that do are typically our ball dominant garbage men, and c) even when our good players do shoot they’re typically off.

We’ve really had 3 guys who have shot at acceptable levels of efficiency over the last month, and chief among them is Kyrie. But please, tell me how I’m wrong and I’m blinded because Kyrie is my secret lover
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #702 on: April 18, 2019, 12:15:43 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I echo what faf is saying. Why complain when the team is playing terribly and your star player effectively takes over a playoff game against the #1 defense in the league?

Sure, I would love everybody to score 20 a game on high efficiency, but when you have the Morris’ of the world going iso-crazy shooting 0-8, you need Kyrie to step up and he did.

You keep saying that all he does is dribble the air out of the ball. That just doesn’t appear to be what he is doing. He is our PG and our best player, he is likely going to have the ball more often than others.
This is Kyrie I thought they were getting when they traded for him - the guy no one can guard when he's on.  And given the way that the majority of the squad was struggling offensively tonight, I was fine with him taking as many shots as he did.

This is what was needed in this particular game.  And several times down the stretch he was drawing double teams and when that happened, he passed and guys got open shots. 

Horford - as Tommy pointed out - was a step slow offensively all night. Morris sucked, Hayward, though looking for his shot was having trouble getting past guys and a lot of the C's difficulty was due to the Pacers defense being pretty good.

Kyrie did what was required.  I would however like to see Jaylen getting more than 6 shorts and Hayward getting more than 7.  Not enough action going to the hoop tonight by anyone not named Kyrie - but again, the Pacers defense had a little bit to do with that. 

« Reply #703 on: April 18, 2019, 12:42:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This is Kyrie I thought they were getting when they traded for him - the guy no one can guard when he's on.  And given the way that the majority of the squad was struggling offensively tonight, I was fine with him taking as many shots as he did.

This is what was needed in this particular game.  And several times down the stretch he was drawing double teams and when that happened, he passed and guys got open shots. 

Horford - as Tommy pointed out - was a step slow offensively all night. Morris sucked, Hayward, though looking for his shot was having trouble getting past guys and a lot of the C's difficulty was due to the Pacers defense being pretty good.

Kyrie did what was required.  I would however like to see Jaylen getting more than 6 shorts and Hayward getting more than 7.  Not enough action going to the hoop tonight by anyone not named Kyrie - but again, the Pacers defense had a little bit to do with that.
If I recall correctly, they are the #1 defence in the league.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #704 on: April 18, 2019, 03:28:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm a fan of any game where Tatum and Kyrie each get 20+ shot attempts. 

Stop playing around.  We only go as far as those two take us.