Author Topic: Faried still not signed?  (Read 7359 times)

Re: Faried still not signed?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 12:26:05 AM »

Offline EdfromMaine

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
For the naive who think Tacko will make the big team, be patient.  If nobody claims him and Danny can convince him to take a straight only Portland, Maine contract, that would be the best any party can do.  Tacko is not an NBA player right now. 

For the young person who said Theis would be better, maybe.  He's already on the team, isn't he.  Looking for a 6'9" + leaper, rebounder, defensive player to add to the roster.  Scottiej23 is right on. 

As far as waiting until December to see how things shake out and see who's available, that could work, but so could an injury that drops the current 14 to 13.  Power forward is the need and unless you want to trade somebody, Faried is the best available.  Not the greatest player, but the best available. 

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 01:59:21 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
For the naive who think Tacko will make the big team, be patient.  If nobody claims him and Danny can convince him to take a straight only Portland, Maine contract, that would be the best any party can do.  Tacko is not an NBA player right now. 

For the young person who said Theis would be better, maybe.  He's already on the team, isn't he.  Looking for a 6'9" + leaper, rebounder, defensive player to add to the roster.  Scottiej23 is right on. 

As far as waiting until December to see how things shake out and see who's available, that could work, but so could an injury that drops the current 14 to 13.  Power forward is the need and unless you want to trade somebody, Faried is the best available.  Not the greatest player, but the best available.

I don't think the NBA analysts are naive.
They're the ones saying Tacko is an NBA player right now.

Celts already gave the  2-way slots to Strus and Waters.

Hoping that nobody will sign Tacko is being naive.
Once the Celts let Tacko go, there will be teams lining up to sign him.
Right now he's already a summer league sensation.
Tacko is now very popular and fans will pay to watch him play.
So from a marketing perspective, signing Tacko makes sense because ticket sales will increase.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 02:25:03 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

So from a marketing perspective, signing Tacko makes sense because ticket sales will increase.

Agreed. Some team with an open roster spot and no path to the playoffs should absolutely take a chance on Tacko if the Celtics don’t sign him.

Maybe they hit and he turns into a legit player, or they get a fan-favorite who gives the fans something to cheer about.

Either way, I hope he gets the chance to play in the NBA. He seems like a great kid who takes everything in stride. I’d love to see him get a nice payday to take care of himself and his family, but I’m sure he’s smart enough to do that very comfortably without basketball.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 02:49:37 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Right now only way the Celts keep Tacko is if the Celts sign him to a minimum contract.
But the Celts won't do that right now because Tacko is still the property of the Celts, because of the Exhibit 10 contract given by the Celts.

So the Celts will wait until training camp to make a decision on Tacko.

If the Celts want to keep him, he will be a part of the 15-man roster.

The alternative is to cut Tacko and hope he accepts a 50k bonus to join the Maine Red Claws.
But if the Celts do that, other teams are allowed to give Tacko a better offer.
If a team with an open roster spot offers Tacko a minimum contract then the Celts will lose Tacko.

Why would Tacko settle for the Red Claws if another NBA team offers him a minimum contract and a roster spot, right?

30 teams passed on Tacko on draft night.

29 teams passed on Tacko after the draft.
Only the Celts were willing to give Tacko a shot.

After playing well in summer league, I doubt those 29 teams will pass on Tacko for the 3rd time, if the Celts cut him.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 06:00:45 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Agreed. Some team with an open roster spot and no path to the playoffs should absolutely take a chance on Tacko if the Celtics don’t sign him.

Maybe they hit and he turns into a legit player, or they get a fan-favorite who gives the fans something to cheer about.

Either way, I hope he gets the chance to play in the NBA. He seems like a great kid who takes everything in stride. I’d love to see him get a nice payday to take care of himself and his family, but I’m sure he’s smart enough to do that very comfortably without basketball.

From what I've read in previous posts
I believe any team can sign him now.

Danny.needs to act immediately one way or the other. If he hasn't made up his mind about signing Tacko after watching Summer League, then he's either surprisingly not sold on him or there's some complication we are not aware of.

We are talking about the 15th spot with 95% of the fans wanting him. If he's expecting that that role will make a major impact, then good luck to him. Those players seldom do. Come playoff time Brad seldom goes deep into the bench.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 06:39:15 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

James Young, Yabu, RJ Hunter and even Jordan Mickey had guaranteed contracts, yet they were beyond useless other than salary filler and they ate more cap space than Tacko might. I'd rather secure a spot for a project with a high ceiling than potential role players who might not even make it in the main roster.

What happened to our 2-way guys like Kadeem Allen, Jabari Bird, PJ Dozier and RJ Hunter? All gone now.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Faried woulda been better than Theis

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 06:45:41 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Faried woulda been better than Theis

Theis can space the floor which is required for Brad's system. Something Farried can't do.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Would rather cut Wannamaker and sign Faried.  Have always liked his energy, shot blocking, rebounding, and he can really run the floor!  We have plenty of ballhandlers now with Kemba (who'll get most of the minutes anyway!), Smart, Waters, and Edwards.  Wannamaker is redundant!  We could use a little extra in the front court, however, and Faried would cheaply fill that bill!

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Danny.needs to act immediately one way or the other. If he hasn't made up his mind about signing Tacko after watching Summer League, then he's either surprisingly not sold on him or there's some complication we are not aware of.

We are talking about the 15th spot with 95% of the fans wanting him. If he's expecting that that role will make a major impact, then good luck to him. Those players seldom do. Come playoff time Brad seldom goes deep into the bench.

An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year deal worth the minimum salary that guarantees the player will receive a camp invite. Fall, for instance, can either have his Exhibit 10 converted into a two-way contract, or will be waived.

If he is waived, the player will be offered $50,000 to sign with the G League affiliate of whomever waved them. Provided he stays on the roster for 60 days, he will earn that $50,000 bonus. The Exhibit 10 contract was created to incentivize players to stay in the G League as opposed to going abroad.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/falls-nba-exhibit-10-contract-explained/ar-AADeKlc

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

They can't. You can check saltlover's posts in the "Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year" thread, but the short of it is that the Exhibit 10 contract we signed him to before summer league gives us control over him for the next year (as a minimum or two-way contract), unless we choose to waive him

No other team can sign him until/unless he is waived by us or he becomes a restricted free agent next summer
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 08:59:16 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Would rather cut Wannamaker and sign Faried.  Have always liked his energy, shot blocking, rebounding, and he can really run the floor!  We have plenty of ballhandlers now with Kemba (who'll get most of the minutes anyway!), Smart, Waters, and Edwards.  Wannamaker is redundant!  We could use a little extra in the front court, however, and Faried would cheaply fill that bill!
Celts may need Wannamaker this season. I expect Walker to experience a lot more "load management" in Boston than he did in Charlotte. I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays 70 regular season games. With Rozier gone there will be a lot more backup minutes for Wannamaker this year. Edwards and Waters are rookies. Hard to tell how battle ready they are. Edward isn't really a point guard anyway.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 09:02:08 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
It would be a dumb move on Ainge's part if he lets Tacko leave.

Just sign Tacko and make him a part of the 15-man roster.

Celts can't afford to sacrifice one roster spot for Tacko?
I find that hard to believe.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

They're the ones saying Tacko is an NBA player right now..

I don't really care who is the 15nth player he won't play anyway and I find Taco interesting for various reasons but I haven't read/heard anyone calling him nba ready

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Celts may need Wannamaker this season. I expect Walker to experience a lot more "load management" in Boston than he did in Charlotte. I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays 70 regular season games. With Rozier gone there will be a lot more backup minutes for Wannamaker this year. Edwards and Waters are rookies. Hard to tell how battle ready they are. Edward isn't really a point guard anyway.

Yes I agree. We don't know how Edwards will look against NBA competition, or someone can get injured. Smart will also play a lot of 2s because at it stands, JB doesnt have a backup other than Smart. The main problem with Rookie PG is running the offense, because no matter how good they are, they still don't know his opponents or teammates to make the best decisions. Even lottery guards struggle at the start, and they mostly don't play with guys who were constantly in the playoffs.

Wanamaker knows the system, is a decent shooter and defender and cost cheap. He is a very good insurance in case Smart or Kemba goes down and you need a couple of games to hold off.