Author Topic: C's haven't reached out to brown about extension yet  (Read 10620 times)

Re: C's haven't reached out to brown about extension yet
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Rozier got overpaid so that he would agree to a sign-and-trade. It was a great opportunity for him money-wise, but it doesn't reflect what his value would have been on the open market.
What?

This doesn't make any sense, if you're trying to say Charlotte had to overpay because they aren't an attractive destination, then that is the open market.

The C's had to renounce his cap hold to obtain Kemba, Rozier was going to be a UFA. He got his open market contract.

I think what he is saying is that Rozier was not only overpaid because of the s&t, but also because it was a 'desperate times, desperate measures' situation for CHA, as they were already over the cap and were losing their star PG for absolutely nothing.

The reason Rozier was on board was because it was the most money he was going to receive from a team, not because it was his actual open market value. CHA was not able to participate in the open market (and therefore would not have been able to offer him that huge contract) so they took the next best option allowed to them.

But the thing is every year, every single year that are a few teams that overpay.  It is just what happens.  Regardless  of what anyone here thinks of Jaylen's potential, it is highly likely that some team is going to throw out a big contract for him and we are going either be forced to match, or let him go.

The way that Wyc talked about Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward being the core of the team, I would be highly surprised if we didn't match any offers. 

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Brown may want to sign an extension however, rather than become a restricted free-agent in 2021. There will be a lot of elite unrestricted free agents that summer. He might be better off signing now rather than waiting.

He's an RFA this offseason when there will be a lot of cap space and few top free agents to spend it on. So it'd probably be much better for us to extend him.

Wondering who has cap room next year, a quick browsing of spotrac.com without knowing all the cap holds shows Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, Memphis, New York, Toronto, maybe a couple of others.

Atlanta might be a threat.  Young team on the rise who will probably be looking to make the playoffs in '21.  Jalyen at SG might be the perfect compliment to Trae Young and John Collins who have proven to be legit.  And Jaylen's from Atlanta.

Maybe Memphis thinks they're ready for the next step next year.  They can use a SG next to Morant and Jaren Jackson.

Maybe Toronto tries to make a quick pivot, and instead of rebuilding tries to reload and pairs Jaylen with Siakham.

Some interesting possibilities for Jaylen.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Brown may want to sign an extension however, rather than become a restricted free-agent in 2021. There will be a lot of elite unrestricted free agents that summer. He might be better off signing now rather than waiting.

He's an RFA this offseason when there will be a lot of cap space and few top free agents to spend it on. So it'd probably be much better for us to extend him.

Wondering who has cap room next year, a quick browsing of spotrac.com without knowing all the cap holds shows Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, Memphis, New York, Toronto, maybe a couple of others.

Atlanta might be a threat.  Young team on the rise who will probably be looking to make the playoffs in '21.  Jalyen at SG might be the perfect compliment to Trae Young and John Collins who have proven to be legit.  And Jaylen's from Atlanta.

Maybe Memphis thinks they're ready for the next step next year.  They can use a SG next to Morant and Jaren Jackson.

Maybe Toronto tries to make a quick pivot, and instead of rebuilding tries to reload and pairs Jaylen with Siakham.

Some interesting possibilities for Jaylen.

I think Cleveland would absolutely throw him a max offer.  Beilein recruited him heavily in high school — his decision came to down to Cal or Michigan.  He’d be a great fit there too.

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2019, 01:23:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Rozier got overpaid so that he would agree to a sign-and-trade. It was a great opportunity for him money-wise, but it doesn't reflect what his value would have been on the open market.
What?

This doesn't make any sense, if you're trying to say Charlotte had to overpay because they aren't an attractive destination, then that is the open market.

The C's had to renounce his cap hold to obtain Kemba, Rozier was going to be a UFA. He got his open market contract.

I think what he is saying is that Rozier was not only overpaid because of the s&t, but also because it was a 'desperate times, desperate measures' situation for CHA, as they were already over the cap and were losing their star PG for absolutely nothing.

The reason Rozier was on board was because it was the most money he was going to receive from a team, not because it was his actual open market value. CHA was not able to participate in the open market (and therefore would not have been able to offer him that huge contract) so they took the next best option allowed to them.

But the thing is every year, every single year that are a few teams that overpay.  It is just what happens.  Regardless  of what anyone here thinks of Jaylen's potential, it is highly likely that some team is going to throw out a big contract for him and we are going either be forced to match, or let him go.

The way that Wyc talked about Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward being the core of the team, I would be highly surprised if we didn't match any offers.

Oh, definitely - I was just speaking for Rozier (who I think we all agree is not at the level of Jaylen). If Jaylen continues to show any kind of progression this year, teams will absolutely attempt to sign him to a max - a max that is somewhat reasonable since it is only 25% of the cap, rather than 30% or 35%.

I think it would be worthwhile to offer 4yrs/$100M this offseason - which is still a very good contact, but knowing Jaylen, I would imagine he is going to bet on himself and go for the full max next offseason.

As for the stuff about Jaylen not having an agent - that is true - but he does hire consultants. I think I read that because NBA players have so many different interests outside of just team contract negotiations, he believes that no one person can handle all of those interests and would rather hire consultants who specialize in a particular field. It really is an interesting approach - I would absolutely love to see the end of mega-agencies poaching 8% of a player's contract...similar to how record labels are nowhere near as important as what they used to be. Jaylen the trailblazer, am I right? Only, I hope he stays a C, and not a Blazer  ;)

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Brown will get the max.  probably not on Danny's front burner with him trying to figure out what to do with Yabu's spot now that he's been waived. 

Brown's the kind of player you want on the team -- really solid defender and scorer.  I don't mind paying players with that full skillset.

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2019, 08:00:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Would love to do an Aaron Gordon Contract with Brown. Front loaded 4 years 84 million.

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Well rookies are not all signed. Trades can be made and we have an open roster spot.

Brown is not important right now.

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well rookies are not all signed. Trades can be made and we have an open roster spot.

That's a problem if that's the C's take. Trade him right away before you alienate the guy.

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

That's a problem if that's the C's take. Trade him right away before you alienate the guy.

We put him on the bench last year after performing as a top 2 guy during the playoffs on a NBA conference finals team.

So we alienated him a bit already.

With Irving, Rozier, Morris and Horford leaving I don't expect everything in the locker room will be forgotten, but it's still a business and I wouldn't offer a max extension immediately since that's not in the interest of the Celtics.

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Brown has been alienating himself by his questionable workethic and attitude (didn't work hard in offseason, not humble, confront with teammates)

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 08:21:43 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

We put him on the bench last year after performing as a top 2 guy during the playoffs on a NBA conference finals team.

So we alienated him a bit already. But not immediately offering a max extension can be explained from a business standpoint.
He put himself on the bench by his terrible, horrible performance which largely hurt the team

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
Brown will get the max.  probably not on Danny's front burner with him trying to figure out what to do with Yabu's spot now that he's been waived. 

Brown's the kind of player you want on the team -- really solid defender and scorer.  I don't mind paying players with that full skillset.
Brown's the kind of player you don't want on the team
He openly disagree with coach/GM's decision on the team, confront with teammates, big talks, travel around the world/speech instead of working hard, still can't dribble and make freethrows and a bad team defender

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2019, 08:28:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Brown has been alienating himself by his questionable workethic and attitude (didn't work hard in offseason, not humble, confront with teammates)

Wait, Brown has a questionable work ethic?

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2019, 08:30:28 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

I like Jaylen but I'd rather move him than give him anything close to that kind of money.

When did 3-4 tier players start becoming max guys?

Exactly.  Brown has to show me a lot more before I'd have any idea what to offer.  Right now?  I'd offer half that.

Half of what Murray got is probably a close guess for Brown.

He's 22. Improves every year. He's the best 2-way player on the team.

They'll probably offer something that starts out around 15M or 16M with 5% raises annually for 3 or 4
years. I usually guess low on these things so it could be more. He may just decline and become a restricted free agent.
Hayward and Tatum is still alive

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

I like Jaylen but I'd rather move him than give him anything close to that kind of money.

When did 3-4 tier players start becoming max guys?

Exactly.  Brown has to show me a lot more before I'd have any idea what to offer.  Right now?  I'd offer half that.

Half of what Murray got is probably a close guess for Brown.

He's 22. Improves every year. He's the best 2-way player on the team.

They'll probably offer something that starts out around 15M or 16M with 5% raises annually for 3 or 4 years. I usually guess low on these things so it could be more. He may just decline and become a restricted free agent.

That's nuts! 

Go out to basketball reference and compare,  Murray and Brown (https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Jamal+Murray&player_id1_select=Jamal+Murray&y1=2019&player_id1=murraja01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Jaylen+Brown&player_id2_select=Jaylen+Brown&y2=2019&player_id2=brownja02&idx=players).

Brown is easily as good as Murray!  I've read that Brown can't shoot, well his 2P% and 3P% are both better than Murray's.

Brown will get maxed out, it's a matter of timing.  He gets a Max extension, then Hayward comes off his, leaving Tatum to get one.
Luckily Danny isn't stupid enough to do that