Author Topic: C's haven't reached out to brown about extension yet  (Read 10622 times)

Re: C's haven't reached out to brown about extension yet
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd offer Brown 120/5. If he takes it fine, if not we have a year to see if we should match a max offer (which we probably have to).

If you’re going 5 years with Brown, you have to offer him the max in year 1, by rule.  Technically you could then decrease his salary every year for the remaining four years, which gets you to 5/122, but that’s going to be a non-starter.  I have proposed 5/145, which is the max with no raises.  If you want average value to be at $24 million per, it needs to be a four-year deal.

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

I like Jaylen but I'd rather move him than give him anything close to that kind of money.

When did 3-4 tier players start becoming max guys?

Exactly.  Brown has to show me a lot more before I'd have any idea what to offer.  Right now?  I'd offer half that.

Half of what Murray got is probably a close guess for Brown.

He's 22. Improves every year. He's the best 2-way player on the team.

They'll probably offer something that starts out around 15M or 16M with 5% raises annually for 3 or 4 years. I usually guess low on these things so it could be more. He may just decline and become a restricted free agent.

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 10:35:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

I like Jaylen but I'd rather move him than give him anything close to that kind of money.

Exactly.  Brown has to show me a lot more before I'd have any idea what to offer.  Right now?  I'd offer half that.

They'll probably offer something that starts out around 15M or 16M with 5% raises annually for 3 or 4 years. I usually guess low on these things so it could be more. He may just decline and become a restricted free agent.

In a world where Terry Rozier just got $19 million a year, yes you definitely guess low.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

Brown is not going to accept an extension smaller than what Gary Harris got last year on a smaller cap.

(4/74 guaranteed with 10 million in incentives)

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 10:40:43 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Does Jaylen still not have an agent?  This is something that might hurt him here.  It made sense when he was a lock for a top 8 pick, no real negotiating going on with that contract, but now there will be a lot of negotiating when it comes to his next contracts as well as trade rumors.  An agent can really help read the tea leaves and also find him a team willing to pay him and possibly help facilitate a trade there (not that I would root for that).

As for the max contract, I don't know, a lot of guys in his position (good player with potential to be an All-Star) don't get them.

Kemba Walker took $48m/4yrs (max would have been $90m/5yrs) after averaging 18/6 his 2nd and 3rd season.
Victor Oladipo  took $84m/4yrs (max would have been $105m/4yrs) after averaging 18/4/4/1.6 and 16/5/4/1.6 his 2nd and 3rd season.
Aaron Gordon took $76m/4yrs (max would have been $147m/5yrs) after averaging 18/8/2 and 4 straight years of increasing output.
Zach Lavine took$78m/4yrs (max would have been $147m/5yrs) after averaging  19/3/3/1 and 17/4/3/1.
Clint Capela took $90m/5yrs (max would have been $147m/5yrs) after rumors PHX was offering a max or near max and averaging 14/11/2

Steph Curry, Al Horford, Joakim Noah, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday all guys who didn't sign max rookie extensions and it's not like these guys didn't show potential or were late bloomers. Horford was already an All-Star, Noah was already All-D, Holiday would become an All-Star the first year after signing an extension, DeRozan and Curry the 2nd year...

Sure you can also point to a lot of comparable or worse guys who got max or near max contracts, but Jaylen is definitely not a lock.  Especially if he doesn't have an agent to help play hard ball.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:23:47 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

In a world where Terry Rozier just got $19 million a year, yes you definitely guess low.

Rozier got overpaid so that he would agree to a sign-and-trade. It was a great opportunity for him money-wise, but it doesn't reflect what his value would have been on the open market.

Considering that Rozier was signed to be a starter, I'm not that far off for Brown. I can see him getting similar money to Rozier. That's nowhere near the max extensions that players like Simmons and Murray are getting offered.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2019, 10:45:26 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
No surprise to hear this, as it's very difficult to determine Jaylen's value right now.  He knows that there's potential for a max extension if he makes a significant jump.  Worst case, he will receive an offer sheet that is somewhere near $25+ per year. 

Fear of injury would be the only reason for Brown to sign an extension at a discount.  Barring a major trade, I believe Danny will let the season play out and match any offer sheet. 

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2019, 11:35:46 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
If the C’s aren’t going to pay up they need to trade him. Honestly I’d much rather the C’s have something like a $18 mill for Myles Turner than $30 million for JB.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
J Murray 5/$170m?? Ouch.

That's nuts! 

Go out to basketball reference and compare,  Murray and Brown (https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Jamal+Murray&player_id1_select=Jamal+Murray&y1=2019&player_id1=murraja01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Jaylen+Brown&player_id2_select=Jaylen+Brown&y2=2019&player_id2=brownja02&idx=players).

Brown is easily as good as Murray!  I've read that Brown can't shoot, well his 2P% and 3P% are both better than Murray's.

Brown will get maxed out, it's a matter of timing.  He gets a Max extension, then Hayward comes off his, leaving Tatum to get one.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Rozier got overpaid so that he would agree to a sign-and-trade. It was a great opportunity for him money-wise, but it doesn't reflect what his value would have been on the open market.
What?

This doesn't make any sense, if you're trying to say Charlotte had to overpay because they aren't an attractive destination, then that is the open market.

The C's had to renounce his cap hold to obtain Kemba, Rozier was going to be a UFA. He got his open market contract.

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd offer Brown 120/5. If he takes it fine, if not we have a year to see if we should match a max offer (which we probably have to).

If you’re going 5 years with Brown, you have to offer him the max in year 1, by rule.  Technically you could then decrease his salary every year for the remaining four years, which gets you to 5/122, but that’s going to be a non-starter.  I have proposed 5/145, which is the max with no raises.  If you want average value to be at $24 million per, it needs to be a four-year deal.

Didn't know, thanks for your input, TP. Then I would offer 100/4.

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 12:25:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Brown may want to sign an extension however, rather than become a restricted free-agent in 2021. There will be a lot of elite unrestricted free agents that summer. He might be better off signing now rather than waiting.

He's an RFA this offseason when there will be a lot of cap space and few top free agents to spend it on. So it'd probably be much better for us to extend him.

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i believe Danny will try and trade him , before he has to pay him ...........that is ...if he can find the right deal and  or player

I like Jalen alot and would mind him hanging around.  I just know Danny thinks diff. than me.

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 12:45:33 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They should not extend him early. He still has much to prove.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

What?

This doesn't make any sense, if you're trying to say Charlotte had to overpay because they aren't an attractive destination, then that is the open market.

The C's had to renounce his cap hold to obtain Kemba, Rozier was going to be a UFA. He got his open market contract.

I think what he is saying is that Rozier was not only overpaid because of the s&t, but also because it was a 'desperate times, desperate measures' situation for CHA, as they were already over the cap and were losing their star PG for absolutely nothing.

The reason Rozier was on board was because it was the most money he was going to receive from a team, not because it was his actual open market value. CHA was not able to participate in the open market (and therefore would not have been able to offer him that huge contract) so they took the next best option allowed to them.