Author Topic: Danny's Player Signing Management  (Read 3774 times)

Re: Danny's Player Signing Management
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 05:12:48 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
My concern is once again having too few vets.  Kemba and Smart are the only guys on the team that automatically command respect. Not Hayward: too injures, and the coach’s pet. Not Kanter. Not...

That’s it. Four  guys with four or more years of experience.  If you count Tacko and Waters, that’s six rookies and a bunch of guys with between one and three years of experience. 

I have never liked rosters like that, even in the CB Draft.

One important thing to note is that both Grant Williams and Carsen Edwards are upperclassmen lauded for their leadership abilities. There is an entire coaching staff to teach them how to play NBA basketball, and I’m not too worried about most of our rookies fitting into the NBA as professionals.

Re: Danny's Player Signing Management
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 08:55:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
My concern is once again having too few vets.  Kemba and Smart are the only guys on the team that automatically command respect. Not Hayward: too injures, and the coach’s pet. Not Kanter. Not...

That’s it. Four  guys with four or more years of experience.  If you count Tacko and Waters, that’s six rookies and a bunch of guys with between one and three years of experience. 

I have never liked rosters like that, even in the CB Draft.
Well....having GMed with you, you know how I feel....I hate young teams. Here is the roster after the top 6 players...Player/Age/Career Games Played:

Daniel Theis/27/129
Semi Ojeleye/24/129
Guerschon Yabusele/23/74
Robert Williams/21/32
Brad Wanamaker/29/36
Romeo Langford19/0
Grant Williams/20/0
Carsen Edwards/21/0
Tremont Waters/21/0
Vincent Poirier/25/0
Tacko Fall/23/0.

So after the top 6 players on the team, the entire rest of the team has 400 games of NBA experience.

To put that into perspective, Marcus Smart, a five year vet that has missed 69 games, has 341 career games played. So the bottom 11 guys on the team has only 59 combined career games played more than just Marcus Smart, a 25 year old, 5 year veteran.

That is a team who's lack of depth is going to hurt them in the standings and even more so in the playoffs.
a lot of those players played professionally for several years before joining the NBA though.  That matters when talking about experience.  They all aren't 19 or 20 year old kids. 

And experience is overrated.  At the end of the day, talent is the most important ingredient.  And that is where this team will fall short.  It just doesn't have enough talent to be a realistic contender.
I couldn't disagree more.  Have you looked at the first 3 year stats of today's superstars like Kawhi, Paul George, Harden, etc..?  Very pedestrian.  In the NBA, true you need talent but that talent needs to mature.
I had a long post in response to this that I don't feel like repeating, but I will say this, those are perhaps the 3 worst players you could have used to support this point as all 3 were in the playoffs their first 3 years in the league and all made at least the conference finals.  Kawhi was in fact the Finals MVP in year 3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip