Author Topic: Carsen Edwards (merged threads)  (Read 21487 times)

Re: Garden Edwards game 1 highlights: 20 pts with ease
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 08:59:43 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
https://youtu.be/XPlepxhPL9A

Garden?

Like some have mentioned his style of play is very similar to Eddie House.   Spot up 3, run around screens 3. Get that shot off quickly.  Sort of reminds me of a 6'0 version of Jamal Murray also

Pretty built

Eddie was more catch and shoot, Edwards off the dribble.

Re: Carsen Edwards game 1 highlights: 20 pts with ease
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 09:04:12 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
The greatest thing for me about GWill was his help defense awareness. He made 2 or 3 plays on defense where he came from the other side of the court exactly on time to make a steal and contest a shot. He really understand how to rotate on defense, specially along the baseline. You don't see a lot of rookies doing that and Definetely not in the summer league. If you watch his YouTube highlights from last game you'll see the defensive possessions that I'm talking about.
This will give him minutes this season, not his offense
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Edwards as a backup PG, straight away.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 09:46:03 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It was pretty easy to see that Edwards was the kind of guy who could come in and have an immediate impact. While his decision making could use a little work at times, he has an important NBA ready skill and is incredibly good shape. He also seems very engaged on all sides of the ball.

I am not surprised he was a bit of a ball-hog last night; it is summer league and he is one of the 2 or 3 best players on our team. But, I expect him to be a little more team-oriented when getting time on the actual Cs. It could be a struggle for him mentally figuring out when he should or shouldn't shoot, but that is just part of being a rookie.

I'll also add, that while everybody is raving about Grant Williams' personality (and I agree), Carson Edwards showed during the rookie presser that he is incredibly well spoken. Having a good head on your shoulders is a great place to start.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:11:48 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Maybe.  Backup PG is one of the most interesting puzzles for Brad.  Does he give that to Smart, or perhaps Wanamaker wins the job?  Hard to visualize Edwards in the role to start but perhaps by the end of the season.  Then there's Water too.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 10:08:27 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Keeper.

And the way he scores, I feel confident he can do that in an NBA game.

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 10:10:59 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I know its just one summer league game but he surprise me..great shot and aggressive on defense..just need to learn how to pass better if he going be a PG
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Maybe.  Backup PG is one of the most interesting puzzles for Brad.  Does he give that to Smart, or perhaps Wanamaker wins the job?  Hard to visualize Edwards in the role to start but perhaps by the end of the season.  Then there's Water too.

Edwards and Smart could make a potent combo together...switch on offense and defense. 

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
This is kind of what I was expecting from him in the summer league. He already has mastery in one of the most important skills in the modern game (i.e., shooting from deep) and it's evident he can demonstrate it on all levels. I have no doubt that he can bomb threes at will, but it will be interesting to see how everything is impacted when he has increased expectations on the defensive end and has to be more mindful as a distributor.

I think he had two drives where he bumped his man off the dribble, stepped back, and drilled 18 foot jumpers above the foul line - it's nice to see that, despite his small stature, he can use his quickness and strength to create enough space to free up his shooting hand. He has a quick release, too, which will go a long way in compensating for his lack of height. Good stuff.

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 11:03:51 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Looks like Kemba Walker will be a good mentor/roll model for Edwards.  Walker was farther along when he came out of UConn but seems like they are similar players.

Edwards averaged 24 pts on about 19 shots his last season at Purdue.  Not great efficiency.  He is going to need to adjust and be much more shot selective in the NBA, but yeah, so far so good.

I don't see him in the main rotation though.  Walker and Smart will see most of the minutes at PG.  There will not be all that much left for Edwards or whoever.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is kind of what I was expecting from him in the summer league. He already has mastery in one of the most important skills in the modern game (i.e., shooting from deep) and it's evident he can demonstrate it on all levels. I have no doubt that he can bomb threes at will, but it will be interesting to see how everything is impacted when he has increased expectations on the defensive end and has to be more mindful as a distributor.

I think he had two drives where he bumped his man off the dribble, stepped back, and drilled 18 foot jumpers above the foul line - it's nice to see that, despite his small stature, he can use his quickness and strength to create enough space to free up his shooting hand. He has a quick release, too, which will go a long way in compensating for his lack of height. Good stuff.

Last thing you want Edwards to do is "think"

he wasn't a hog last night.  Tremont Waters out of all people was more of a hog (3 for 13 and forcing some bad shots)

Edwards made 5 3s in 12 attemps. And finished the game 7 for 17.  Also 2 or 3 steals.  This would be very good production off the bench. Really good

I want him to keep shooting open shots (what is considered to him)

We haven't had a 3 pt shooter like him in the lineup in a long time now

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 11:55:07 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I was impressed with Edwards, Williams, and Waters.  Tremont played some very pesky defense, and Carsen made some really scrappy, Smart like plays.  He's a bit of a gunner on offense, but I've seen worse.  I hate to make comparisons from one summer league game, but I was extremely impressed with Grant Williams poise and already showing great leadership... Sort of reminds me of Draymond.

I think Yabu has shown his value which unfortunately isn't very high.  he should have been one of the most comfortable players on the floor, but he looked lost at points.

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Knowing nothing about the players other than what I read I'll stick with my original thought. Which was Edwards has the best chance of the rookies to get some PT. Hopefully Grant gets in there and proves something also. I know some of you already have him going to the HoF but I need to see it before I believe it!

Re: Garden Edwards game 1 highlights: 20 pts with ease
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 03:14:38 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
https://youtu.be/XPlepxhPL9A

Garden?

Like some have mentioned his style of play is very similar to Eddie House.   Spot up 3, run around screens 3. Get that shot off quickly.  Sort of reminds me of a 6'0 version of Jamal Murray also

Pretty built
Reminds me more of Vinnie Johnson or Lou Williams, but this was one game in SL. I want to see Carsen do this all SL and into the regular season. I think he can, but he's going to have to prove it.

Carson Edwards solves a lot of problems and creates them for other team
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 05:27:11 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Like scoring from the bench He is a cost controlled 2nd rounder for a long time
 He can change the pace at both ends of court a natural disrupter with quickness.Opposing guards will hate this and takes precious time off the clock as well as changing rhythm.
Spacing and screening and poor NBA defense will get him more efficient open shots.
Marcus can mentor him on how to use his strength and leverage to get over screens.
His range will open things up for Kemba when he is plugged in and Jaylen slashing .

Its Summer League but his body of work speaks volumes especially against NCAA defenses set to stop him.His speed strength and center of gravity while having 6-6 wingspan is a unique blend for a point guard/ shooting guard.Timing and the multiple screens of NBA will reek havoc on his defender on catch and shoots.

Lets see what Edelson has to say. about my exuberance and summer league hyperbole.