Author Topic: If we can't talk about the A-word, we shouldn't see Pro-Life advertising  (Read 21777 times)

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Please see attached screenshot :)

https://prnt.sc/s95oix

I realise that CB is slanted in a pretty particular direction when it comes to discourse (not among the posters but the rules and moderation), but c'mon.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, this is pretty awful. I was previously displeased about the pop-up video that used to come up with every click, but now there are these super-religious advertisements on the side that make me want to puke, as well as a different pop-up at the bottom and an advertisement at the top. I don't mind advertisements at all, but the content should be verified (I also don't like pop-up advertisements that cover the content on the screen that even when you 'x' out, just come up again with your next click...but that is a slightly different topic than what you are referring to).

I just want to emphasize that this isn't a knock against byennie - it's not like I think he is sitting here thinking, "Yeah, this is gonna be cool. People will love these." I really appreciate the work that has gone into the site to keep it going, but do agree with the OP.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Not only THAT but I've seen TOO MANY NRA ads on here as well...

Thank God for Google Ad block. Free to download and quite powerful and effective.

I've personally NEVER..EVER reached out to NRA for anything. While I respect their views and the 2nd amendment I have ZERO plans on becoming a member in my lifetime - nor my household.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I realise that CB is slanted in a pretty particular direction when it comes to discourse (not among the posters but the rules and moderation), but c'mon.

The staff has nothing to do with the ads.  I agree with you, we shouldn’t have political ads at all.

Reach out to Byennie, as he’s in charge of advertising and revenue.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Huh...haven't seen that ad before.  It definitely is advocating for a position no poster on this forum would be allowed to advocate for.  I'd say it makes sense to not have ads that push either a pro-life or pro-choice agenda.

The religious ads, in general, do not bother me and seem fine otherwise, though.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I came here to say I never see any ads on this site but maybe that's outing myself as a bad supporter of the site.

Does it harm the site if I use ad block to browse the forum?  As much as I hate ads, I'll whitelist the page if it is bad to browse while using Adblock / Adblock Plus.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if the site had the capability, I'd use a guideline of not showing ads that would set off a firestorm as a topic in the CE forums or a topic that is banned on the site.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
if the site had the capability, I'd use a guideline of not showing ads that would set off a firestorm as a topic in the CE forums or a topic that is banned on the site.

Yeah, ads should follow at least the same rules as signatures and avatars. Nothing political or religious, nothing sexual, and nothing that would be found offensive in a family situation.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
I came here to say I never see any ads on this site but maybe that's outing myself as a bad supporter of the site.

Does it harm the site if I use ad block to browse the forum?  As much as I hate ads, I'll whitelist the page if it is bad to browse while using Adblock / Adblock Plus.

Adblockers in general are detrimental to all websites' revenue that run them. If you like a website, you should whitelist it.

The staff has nothing to do with the ads.  I agree with you, we shouldn’t have political ads at all.

Reach out to Byennie, as he’s in charge of advertising and revenue.

Will do, thanks.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
oh yeah .....i saw that too....and thought it was strange thing to see on this type of sight. 

That popup of the the singer who looked exactly like Pau Gasol drove me nuts ,  i bet it caught me 25 times taking me to some sight advertising his new record ... ::)......the Pau Gasol laker album...lol

that "info link popup ". is truely annoying.....i was ok with the others , but it is hard one to navigate around . 

yeah ...Deacon Keith  ........oh boy ....he is still pop n up .... ;D

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
now seeing a right to life ad with a priest advocating against vaccines saying their coming from abortions. 

anything we can do to screen this out?

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Lol - Belarusian Orthodox church? That is even more obscure than this:

Maybe Deacon Keith can help us out with his daily readings. Even 'Monks Bread' is actually made by
real monks (I looked it up)  :o

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Maybe Deacon Keith can help us out with his daily readings. Even 'Monks Bread' is actually made by
i am waiting for the ads for monks beers. those are great!!

https://merchantduvin.com/brew-rochefort-trappist.php

https://merchantduvin.com/brew-westmalle-trappist-tripel.php
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

i am waiting for the ads for monks beers. those are great!!

https://merchantduvin.com/brew-rochefort-trappist.php

https://merchantduvin.com/brew-westmalle-trappist-tripel.php

Those look great! Belgium really does go all out when it comes to beer. We visited the Cantillon Brewery when we were there in October and it was super interesting seeing the lambic/spontaneous fermentation process in action.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Just wanted to leave the newest addition to the site right here (I won't post the picture since it is so direct).

https://dtyry4ejybx0.cloudfront.net/ads/595-1165-1441-95b4b99d-f6e9-486b-bb4c-80d013ce7ec4.jpg

On a brighter note, I am starting to see some other advertisements. There is a 1-800-Got-Junk ad next to this response as we speak. Hopefully that means the phasing out of these pro-life/religious ads.

Note: I am not doing this as a major complaint, more to bring light to the issue so it can be remedied.