Author Topic: Houston says Game 7 against GS - Refs missed 81 calls costing Houton 18.6 points  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
For some reason, I ended up watching a lot of the Rockets-Warriors game 1, after catching the Celtics post game coverage. Chris Paul was called for two technical fouls for arguing calls, however I never noticed the refs calling those technical fouls against the Warriors players for the same or even more animated acts of arguing fouls. I have no interest in this series, but the refs were clearly favoring the Warriors in game 1.

It amazes me how Draymond doesn't get called for technicals even more than he currently does. I feel that guy literally yells and shouts at the refs every other play but they just ignore him and don't penalize him in any way  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
The 2010, game 7 finals Celtics say hi!

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The league should help the referees out by getting rid of the charge call. I believe the spirit of the rule, was so players didn’t plow through guys and get anyone hurt. Now it’s just a pathetic case of acting and which ref buys the flop. I’ve brought this idea up before, as I would rather watch guys play actual defense and contest shots. One of the most memorable moments of these playoffs so far was the Derrick White dunk over Paul Millsap. What made it great for me, was the simple fact that Millsap tried to block the dunk. He didn’t punk out and try to take a charge, but instead showed some pride to try and play actual defense.

The league should also hold up their end of the bargain in policing flopping and maybe give the refs more in game power. After two warnings of noticing a player is flopping, the refs can issue a technical on any additional flop the player tries during the game. Obviously, James harden and the Rockets would hate this rule.

Taking a charge is one of the last defensive moves left. How much more of an advantage does the offense need?

So not moving, is your idea of defense? The NBA, has some of the best athletes in the world, but their best defensive effort is to not even move? Lets just have the players play games of HORSE.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kings should go back and do an audit of the '02 WCF now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I wonder how many of these calls are touch fouls that would never get called? I can’t see them missing THAT many obvious calls.

Whatever, doesn’t matter now. I know they are trying to get calls for this series but just like last season, they need to hit shots. They rely on threes no team can afford to go 0-27 from deep.
CELTICS 2024

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how many of these calls are touch fouls that would never get called? I can’t see them missing THAT many obvious calls.

Whatever, doesn’t matter now. I know they are trying to get calls for this series but just like last season, they need to hit shots. They rely on threes no team can afford to go 0-27 from deep.
I haven't seen the total audit but an ESPN article said many of those calls were questionable calls that could have been called or let go, that it didn't necessarily mean something was called wrong. My guess is Houston took some liberties in their view of those calls in that audit.

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
So you disagree with me completely but then go to describe the actions Harden takes at the 3 point line, that aren't exactly what I described in ten words, but is what he does do a whole bunch, along with your long explanation of what he does also.

No, what you described was Harden kicking out his leg a la Reggie Miller and getting fouls. While I'm certain that there are still some fouls called on those plays occasionally, by far and large refs have stopped awarding those fouls.

What I described was different - Harden doesn't kick out his legs; rather he does things like jumping foward off stepbacks, which is unusual and unique, baiting defenders to foul him because they don't stay vertical. And those are shooting fouls, by the law, and refs should call them. What I see - what was patently obvious in this last game - is that often they don't because otherwise Harden would draw even more of them.

He did the leg flail once yesterday.

I agree (I had already said he had done it once), but just to clarify, are you claiming a foul was called?

If so, please provide the period of the game that happened/player who was called for the shooting foul/etc.

If not, then we can keep our counting on fouls wrongly given to Harden due to leg kicking at zero.

I disagree with all of that but focusing on Harden - how often have you actually seen him getting FTs on those Reggie Miller kickouts this season? We can keep a count - did he get any last game? THere was one of those plays near the end of the game but those aren't the missed calls that people are talking about. We can track it - let's see how many of those are called over this series - do you reckon so far it's been 0?

Refs haven't been calling those fouls for a while.
Most of those fouls on 3 point attempts Harden gets are of two types (let's exclude "legitimate" fouls where defenders just close out too recklessly, agressively, etc): hand fouls due to that rip-through and side-to-side shooting motions he does whenever a defender gets his hands on his space (Mark Cuban sent out a tweet yesterday saying the NBA should eliminate these fouls - not really sure it's that easy to phrase that in a rule though); and those fouls where he jumps forward and the defender gets in his landing space once his airborne - especially after his step back.

This latter type were the ones refs didn't call yesterday. Those were textbook fouls (reportedly, the refs apologized for missing them).

What makes these fouls so frequent with Harden, and also weird to see called, is that Harden jumps forward off step-backs - a very unnatural movement as players have always faded off step-backs. That's why he draws lots of those fouls - he makes a very strange movement very quickly and baits defenders into jumping forward to contest him when he's already initiated the motion to jump forward himself - and this results in a foul because defenders must give airborne shooters the space to land - they don't need to move out of their spots, but they can't get in the way of the shooters once the shooter is airborne.

What's problematic is that in most of those situations, Harden isn't really looking to make a basket. He goes through the shooting motion only to establish contact with the defender and get the foul. But they're still fouls.

People have gotten so confused about this that today I saw an ESPN analysis where the commentator applied the "verticality rule" to Harden (to the commentator's credit, he still managed to agree that Thompson had in fact commited those fouls). But the attacking player has no obligation to verticality; that only applies to defenders (otherwise, most dunks and layups wouldn't exist). Shooters can jump forward, sideways, backward, whatever - as long as the landing space is empty when they start their jump, they're entitled to it.

Anyway, this is the entire problem: Harden baits defenders into fouls in ways that are very novel, and that he executes better than anyone ever, which explains why he manages to do it so often. I find abhorrent, but I don't think refs can not calling them is the way to go.
It actually isn't a foul if Harden jumps forward and the defender jumps straight up.  The non-call on Green at the end of the game was not a foul on Green, and that is pretty clearly a situation you are describing.  The offensive player does not have the right to jump into the space of the defender and get a foul called on the defender.

Yeps - exactly as I wrote above: if the defender remains vertical, straight up, then it isn't a foul. But the obligation of verticality belongs to the defender, not to the shooting player (which should be obvious but yesterday I saw someone on CCN saying players must only jump vertically to shoot the ball - guess in their mind, most layups and dunks will become illegal).

No, the situation I'm describing isn't the non-call on Green.  Please cite where exactly you think I described that, so that I can clarify.

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Yesterday there was a relevant situation in the POR vs DEN game: at some point in the 3rd quarter, Lillard baits Craig (hell of a defender/player btw) into fouling him in a 3 points shot. Lillard never really tried to make the shot, he noticed Craig out of balance and just fake him while moving to his pseudo-shooting motion.

Exactly like Harden gets plenty of his fouls on 3 point attempts.

The commentator on my stream said something like:
"I don't care about this foul. I guess it's technically be a foul but this isn't real basketball. I don't like this".

I think he's right:
- it's technically a foul
- it's not "real basketball".

The current way of the NBA to deal with these things is:

- if the player draws one of them occasionally, like Lillard, call them.

- if the player draws a bunch of them, like 4 in a half like Harden did in the game that caused this discussion, don't call them (because if they did, the entire game would be "not real basketball").

I don't think this solution is satisfactory.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This feels petty.

Especially because of the type of player Harden is. Harden gets a lot of FT's off of what I think are offensive fouls. I also think his "step back" is a clear travel that the league has decided not to call.

I go along with what Ryan Rusillo said on Simmons' podcast this week. This is all coming about because players complain wildly every time a call goes against them even when they are clearly, obviously, in the wrong. And they're allowed to do it. So now, that's spilling over even more where if they aren't getting the calls they want, they're acting like they're getting screwed over because they're so used to feeling screwed over all the time anyway.
The thing is they used the League's actual report from the game.  Instead of just 2 minutes, the league provided a full game report. 

Now I'm sure Houston probably took some liberties.  For example, there was one sequence where there should have been a foul called on Harden that wasn't (or it was at least inconclusive).  Golden State ended up getting 3 points on the possession, but Houston said the foul should have been called which would have resulted in Looney going to line which likely only would have netted 1 point and thus they counted that as -2 points.  That seems a bit strange to do things like that, but if they are consistent on it for both teams I have less issue with it.

The obvious real problem with that sort of analysis is just how much differently the game looks if all those fouls actually got called.  Players would have been in foul trouble, players would have fouled out, the score and thus follow-up possessions would have just been so much different, etc. that there is no practical way to know what exactly changing those early missed calls actually would have done to the game.  Maybe Golden State just blows the doors off of them if the refs were better early on in the game or maybe not. 

At the end of the day though, the refs should never miss (or have as inconclusive) 81 calls in a 48 minute game.  That is a travesty.

I'm saying the league is complicit. They should classify Harden's step back a travel, because it is. They should call Harden kicking his legs out and putting his shoulder into defenders while he's on his way to the basket an offensive foul, because it is. And they shouldn't let stars behave like someone just stole their TV every time they commit a foul, because the players are almost always wrong. The league is messing this stuff up.

I like the two minute report for the refs. How about a two minute report on the players. "In the last 2 minutes, James Harden incorrectly called 7 fouls and 4 walks."

The bottom line is, the NBA let's its stars get away with too much for too long and now the chickens are coming home to roost because the stars are saying, "Wait, I thought I could get whatever I wanted. If I can't get whatever I want, that's not fair."

The players are wrong. But that's what's happening.
THE LEAGUE ACKNOWLEDGED IT MISSED (OR POTENTIALLY MISSED) 81 CALLS IN A 48 MINUTE GAME.

I put that in bold because apparently you missed that, and if you didn't then yours seems like an odd response to my post.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm not talking about individual refs missing calls, I'm talking about the league deciding to not call things fouls and travels that are, to my eye, definitely fouls and travels. If the league has decided that Harden's step back isn't a travel (it is) then that isn't going to show up in the report as a missed call, is it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This feels petty.

Especially because of the type of player Harden is. Harden gets a lot of FT's off of what I think are offensive fouls. I also think his "step back" is a clear travel that the league has decided not to call.

I go along with what Ryan Rusillo said on Simmons' podcast this week. This is all coming about because players complain wildly every time a call goes against them even when they are clearly, obviously, in the wrong. And they're allowed to do it. So now, that's spilling over even more where if they aren't getting the calls they want, they're acting like they're getting screwed over because they're so used to feeling screwed over all the time anyway.
The thing is they used the League's actual report from the game.  Instead of just 2 minutes, the league provided a full game report. 

Now I'm sure Houston probably took some liberties.  For example, there was one sequence where there should have been a foul called on Harden that wasn't (or it was at least inconclusive).  Golden State ended up getting 3 points on the possession, but Houston said the foul should have been called which would have resulted in Looney going to line which likely only would have netted 1 point and thus they counted that as -2 points.  That seems a bit strange to do things like that, but if they are consistent on it for both teams I have less issue with it.

The obvious real problem with that sort of analysis is just how much differently the game looks if all those fouls actually got called.  Players would have been in foul trouble, players would have fouled out, the score and thus follow-up possessions would have just been so much different, etc. that there is no practical way to know what exactly changing those early missed calls actually would have done to the game.  Maybe Golden State just blows the doors off of them if the refs were better early on in the game or maybe not. 

At the end of the day though, the refs should never miss (or have as inconclusive) 81 calls in a 48 minute game.  That is a travesty.

I'm saying the league is complicit. They should classify Harden's step back a travel, because it is. They should call Harden kicking his legs out and putting his shoulder into defenders while he's on his way to the basket an offensive foul, because it is. And they shouldn't let stars behave like someone just stole their TV every time they commit a foul, because the players are almost always wrong. The league is messing this stuff up.

I like the two minute report for the refs. How about a two minute report on the players. "In the last 2 minutes, James Harden incorrectly called 7 fouls and 4 walks."

The bottom line is, the NBA let's its stars get away with too much for too long and now the chickens are coming home to roost because the stars are saying, "Wait, I thought I could get whatever I wanted. If I can't get whatever I want, that's not fair."

THE LEAGUE ACKNOWLEDGED IT MISSED (OR POTENTIALLY MISSED) 81 CALLS IN A 48 MINUTE GAME.

I put that in bold because apparently you missed that, and if you didn't then yours seems like an odd response to my post.

I'm not talking about individual refs missing calls, I'm talking about the league deciding to not call things fouls and travels that are, to my eye, definitely fouls and travels. If the league has decided that Harden's step back isn't a travel (it is) then that isn't going to show up in the report as a missed call, is it?

why is Harden's step back a travel?

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This feels petty.

Because he takes 3 steps.

To be clear, not every step back, and not every step back Harden takes, is a travel. But what has been called the "Harden" step back, where he takes 3 pretty clear steps, is definitely a travel but the league has decided they're ok with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zpmigCh0Aw
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This feels petty.

Because he takes 3 steps.

To be clear, not every step back, and not every step back Harden takes, is a travel. But what has been called the "Harden" step back, where he takes 3 pretty clear steps, is definitely a travel but the league has decided they're ok with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zpmigCh0Aw

well the first one in the video was a a travel he took three steps back. The second was a legit step back, no travel.

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
This feels petty.

Are you serious or haven't you seen his stepbacks yet?

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The league should help the referees out by getting rid of the charge call. I believe the spirit of the rule, was so players didn’t plow through guys and get anyone hurt. Now it’s just a pathetic case of acting and which ref buys the flop. I’ve brought this idea up before, as I would rather watch guys play actual defense and contest shots. One of the most memorable moments of these playoffs so far was the Derrick White dunk over Paul Millsap. What made it great for me, was the simple fact that Millsap tried to block the dunk. He didn’t punk out and try to take a charge, but instead showed some pride to try and play actual defense.

Um.... I can't concur with this proposal at all.  The spirit of the charge call rule is that a defensive player has just as much right to stand in a spot as anyone and an offensive player doesn't have the right to bull-rush through the defender.

Are you suggesting that defenders are more likely to 'act' for a flop than offensive players?

How many times do we see defenders go straight up and down in shot contention (which is supposed to be legal) yet get called for a foul because the offensive player cried out and flailed about as if electrocuted?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Yeps - exactly as I wrote above: if the defender remains vertical, straight up, then it isn't a foul. But the obligation of verticality belongs to the defender, not to the shooting player (which should be obvious but yesterday I saw someone on CCN saying players must only jump vertically to shoot the ball - guess in their mind, most layups and dunks will become illegal).

Per the rules, the offensive player is not supposed to jump forward into the established position of the defender on his shot.  I.E., when legally guarded by a defender, yes:  The shooter must obey the rules of verticality as well.

On a layup|dunk that has no defender, or where the defender has not legally established position, an offensive player has the right to go through that space.

This is not supposed to be football.   Ballhandlers are not supposed to be running backs plowing through defenders.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.