Author Topic: Houston says Game 7 against GS - Refs missed 81 calls costing Houton 18.6 points  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I said to my brother that this audit sounds like something you'd see on a team reddit or celticsblog as a TLDR post.

Just laughable that they had this packaged and ready to release as part of a PR push during the series. I wonder how much Stern would have fined the team had they pulled this crap on him.

They just got "rewarded" with Scott Foster for Game 2 so they have that going for them.  League office still knows what they're doing. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I said to my brother that this audit sounds like something you'd see on a team reddit or celticsblog as a TLDR post.

Just laughable that they had this packaged and ready to release as part of a PR push during the series. I wonder how much Stern would have fined the team had they pulled this crap on him.

They just got "rewarded" with Scott Foster for Game 2 so they have that going for them.  League office still knows what they're doing.
Warriors hate Foster too funny enough. Definitely a "stop whining" message from the league with this assignment.

O/U on technicals this game?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Warriors hate Foster too funny enough. Definitely a "stop whining" message from the league with this assignment.

O/U on technicals this game?
I say Vegas would put it at 3.5. They would probably get a bunch of money on the over.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
This feels petty.

Especially because of the type of player Harden is. Harden gets a lot of FT's off of what I think are offensive fouls. I also think his "step back" is a clear travel that the league has decided not to call.

I go along with what Ryan Rusillo said on Simmons' podcast this week. This is all coming about because players complain wildly every time a call goes against them even when they are clearly, obviously, in the wrong. And they're allowed to do it. So now, that's spilling over even more where if they aren't getting the calls they want, they're acting like they're getting screwed over because they're so used to feeling screwed over all the time anyway.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Incompetent officiating is the number one problem in the NBA. The Leagues calls for teams to "stop whining" is a weak response to a problem that is now becoming serious.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This feels petty.

Especially because of the type of player Harden is. Harden gets a lot of FT's off of what I think are offensive fouls. I also think his "step back" is a clear travel that the league has decided not to call.

I go along with what Ryan Rusillo said on Simmons' podcast this week. This is all coming about because players complain wildly every time a call goes against them even when they are clearly, obviously, in the wrong. And they're allowed to do it. So now, that's spilling over even more where if they aren't getting the calls they want, they're acting like they're getting screwed over because they're so used to feeling screwed over all the time anyway.
The thing is they used the League's actual report from the game.  Instead of just 2 minutes, the league provided a full game report. 

Now I'm sure Houston probably took some liberties.  For example, there was one sequence where there should have been a foul called on Harden that wasn't (or it was at least inconclusive).  Golden State ended up getting 3 points on the possession, but Houston said the foul should have been called which would have resulted in Looney going to line which likely only would have netted 1 point and thus they counted that as -2 points.  That seems a bit strange to do things like that, but if they are consistent on it for both teams I have less issue with it.

The obvious real problem with that sort of analysis is just how much differently the game looks if all those fouls actually got called.  Players would have been in foul trouble, players would have fouled out, the score and thus follow-up possessions would have just been so much different, etc. that there is no practical way to know what exactly changing those early missed calls actually would have done to the game.  Maybe Golden State just blows the doors off of them if the refs were better early on in the game or maybe not. 

At the end of the day though, the refs should never miss (or have as inconclusive) 81 calls in a 48 minute game.  That is a travesty.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just give me one 50/50 call....just one!

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Kind of funny we see Hou getting ripped on for complaining to the refs while we have our own thread asking God why is he using his angel of death, Tony Brothers, to punish us tonight.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Incompetent officiating is the number one problem in the NBA. The Leagues calls for teams to "stop whining" is a weak response to a problem that is now becoming serious.

Yup. TP.  See my post in the Tony Brothers thread...

Game 1 of Portland Denver was terrible.  Phantom calls right and left...

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Kind of funny we see Hou getting ripped on for complaining to the refs while we have our own thread asking God why is he using his angel of death, Tony Brothers, to punish us tonight.

Tony Brothers and Marc Davis, line up of death!!!!

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
This feels petty.

The thing is they used the League's actual report from the game.  Instead of just 2 minutes, the league provided a full game report. 

Now I'm sure Houston probably took some liberties.  For example, there was one sequence where there should have been a foul called on Harden that wasn't (or it was at least inconclusive).  Golden State ended up getting 3 points on the possession, but Houston said the foul should have been called which would have resulted in Looney going to line which likely only would have netted 1 point and thus they counted that as -2 points.  That seems a bit strange to do things like that, but if they are consistent on it for both teams I have less issue with it.

The obvious real problem with that sort of analysis is just how much differently the game looks if all those fouls actually got called.  Players would have been in foul trouble, players would have fouled out, the score and thus follow-up possessions would have just been so much different, etc. that there is no practical way to know what exactly changing those early missed calls actually would have done to the game.  Maybe Golden State just blows the doors off of them if the refs were better early on in the game or maybe not. 

At the end of the day though, the refs should never miss (or have as inconclusive) 81 calls in a 48 minute game.  That is a travesty.

I'm saying the league is complicit. They should classify Harden's step back a travel, because it is. They should call Harden kicking his legs out and putting his shoulder into defenders while he's on his way to the basket an offensive foul, because it is. And they shouldn't let stars behave like someone just stole their TV every time they commit a foul, because the players are almost always wrong. The league is messing this stuff up.

I like the two minute report for the refs. How about a two minute report on the players. "In the last 2 minutes, James Harden incorrectly called 7 fouls and 4 walks."

The bottom line is, the NBA let's its stars get away with too much for too long and now the chickens are coming home to roost because the stars are saying, "Wait, I thought I could get whatever I wanted. If I can't get whatever I want, that's not fair."

The players are wrong. But that's what's happening.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The league should help the referees out by getting rid of the charge call. I believe the spirit of the rule, was so players didn’t plow through guys and get anyone hurt. Now it’s just a pathetic case of acting and which ref buys the flop. I’ve brought this idea up before, as I would rather watch guys play actual defense and contest shots. One of the most memorable moments of these playoffs so far was the Derrick White dunk over Paul Millsap. What made it great for me, was the simple fact that Millsap tried to block the dunk. He didn’t punk out and try to take a charge, but instead showed some pride to try and play actual defense.

The league should also hold up their end of the bargain in policing flopping and maybe give the refs more in game power. After two warnings of noticing a player is flopping, the refs can issue a technical on any additional flop the player tries during the game. Obviously, James harden and the Rockets would hate this rule.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
This feels petty.

I'm saying the league is complicit. They should classify Harden's step back a travel, because it is. They should call Harden kicking his legs out and putting his shoulder into defenders while he's on his way to the basket an offensive foul, because it is. And they shouldn't let stars behave like someone just stole their TV every time they commit a foul, because the players are almost always wrong. The league is messing this stuff up.

I like the two minute report for the refs. How about a two minute report on the players. "In the last 2 minutes, James Harden incorrectly called 7 fouls and 4 walks."

The bottom line is, the NBA let's its stars get away with too much for too long and now the chickens are coming home to roost because the stars are saying, "Wait, I thought I could get whatever I wanted. If I can't get whatever I want, that's not fair."

The players are wrong. But that's what's happening.
THE LEAGUE ACKNOWLEDGED IT MISSED (OR POTENTIALLY MISSED) 81 CALLS IN A 48 MINUTE GAME.

I put that in bold because apparently you missed that, and if you didn't then yours seems like an odd response to my post.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
For some reason, I ended up watching a lot of the Rockets-Warriors game 1, after catching the Celtics post game coverage. Chris Paul was called for two technical fouls for arguing calls, however I never noticed the refs calling those technical fouls against the Warriors players for the same or even more animated acts of arguing fouls. I have no interest in this series, but the refs were clearly favoring the Warriors in game 1.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
The league should help the referees out by getting rid of the charge call. I believe the spirit of the rule, was so players didn’t plow through guys and get anyone hurt. Now it’s just a pathetic case of acting and which ref buys the flop. I’ve brought this idea up before, as I would rather watch guys play actual defense and contest shots. One of the most memorable moments of these playoffs so far was the Derrick White dunk over Paul Millsap. What made it great for me, was the simple fact that Millsap tried to block the dunk. He didn’t punk out and try to take a charge, but instead showed some pride to try and play actual defense.

The league should also hold up their end of the bargain in policing flopping and maybe give the refs more in game power. After two warnings of noticing a player is flopping, the refs can issue a technical on any additional flop the player tries during the game. Obviously, James harden and the Rockets would hate this rule.

Taking a charge is one of the last defensive moves left. How much more of an advantage does the offense need?