Author Topic: Report: Jared Dudley wants to play for the Celtics next season  (Read 4826 times)

Re: Report: Jared Dudley wants to play for the Celtics next season
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not sold Dudley is any better than Semi.

Semi is certainly the better defender. Much better lateral quickness in staying in front of people. Dudley shoots a bit better from 3 (35% vs 31.5%) .... Dudley seems more different than better to me.

Who adds more to a locker room, though?

https://theathletic.com/731712/2018/12/24/how-jared-dudley-makes-an-impact-outside-of-the-box-score-as-a-veteran-leader-for-a-young-brooklyn-nets-team/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:40:17 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Semi is certainly the better defender. Much better lateral quickness in staying in front of people. Dudley shoots a bit better from 3 (35% vs 31.5%) .... Dudley seems more different than better to me.

I don't see it as an issue of whether Dudley is better than the wings we have right now.

The question is what wings will we still have if we send a bunch of players out in a Davis (or other) trade this summer?   One example trade would be Tatum+Smart+Semi+picks for Davis.   If that sort of trade happens (not endorsing it, mind you) then we would have a need for a wing or two and we could do far worse than Dudley or Carter to help shore up that gap.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

https://theathletic.com/731712/2018/12/24/how-jared-dudley-makes-an-impact-outside-of-the-box-score-as-a-veteran-leader-for-a-young-brooklyn-nets-team/
I don't think that matters much in Boston while it might on a team like the Nets.  Boston doesn't need to sign a guy to be a good lockerroom preference.  In addition, I have no idea how Semi actually is in the lockerroom.  He might be better for what Boston needs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 03:26:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't think that matters much in Boston while it might on a team like the Nets.  Boston doesn't need to sign a guy to be a good lockerroom preference.  In addition, I have no idea how Semi actually is in the lockerroom.  He might be better for what Boston needs.

I disagree pretty strongly on this.  Our lockerroom had a massive leadership deficit this season, I think.  Kyrie even complained about not having enough "10 year vets".

If Lebron values guys like James Jones and Perk, I think Kyrie might gravitate to the same type of veteran leadership.  It's one area where Kyrie isn't great.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I would like to see Vince, Dudley and Beverly all Celtics next season, especially if Smart/Tatum or Brown are traded for Davis and Rozier is kicked out.

Irving/Beverly/Wannamker
Brown/Vince/draft
Hayward/Dudley/Semi
Horford/Morris/Theis
Davis/Baynes/Williams

That is phenomenal team.

Can replace Brown or Horford with Tatum in the lineup if Danny can make that happen instead.

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Not the first time.
Dudley twitted something last year about wanting to join the Cs. This very much could be the reporter recycling the news.

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Dudley has been looking positively statuesque on the court. Little guards rebounding over his head. And his 3pt% has declined for the 4 straight seasons. Now at .351.

If a "lockerroom statesman" type is needed, I think there are better options than Dudley. Guys who can play that role while also being a solid 10th man or something.

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 05:06:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Dudley has been looking positively statuesque on the court. Little guards rebounding over his head. And his 3pt% has declined for the 4 straight seasons. Now at .351.

If a "lockerroom statesman" type is needed, I think there are better options than Dudley. Guys who can play that role while also being a solid 10th man or something.

Dudley can be a solid 10th man.  For the season the Nets were better with him on the court, and in the playoffs that was amplified:  the Nets actually outscored the Sixers when Dudley was in the game, and he had an unreal +21.2 point differential per 100 possessions when in the game versus on the bench.

He can contribute both on the court and in the locker room.

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard

Dudley can be a solid 10th man.  For the season the Nets were better with him on the court, and in the playoffs that was amplified:  the Nets actually outscored the Sixers when Dudley was in the game, and he had an unreal +21.2 point differential per 100 possessions when in the game versus on the bench.

On/off numbers can be useful with very large samples of 10 seasons, ideally with players playing a lot of different line-ups. For a single season, they have no statistical value due to the multicollinearity problem - those numbers depend on the actions of Dudley and other 9 guys, not just Dudley. That's why the list of players by net rating as a bunch of guys from Milwaukee, Golden State and Toronto in there: 14 out of the first 15 among players with GP>50 belong to those 3 teams.

IOW, the Nets point differential was higher with Dudley on the court is completely different than the Nets point differential was higher because Dudley was on the court.

There are some attempts to sort out those multicollinearity problems, using boxscore numbers and other data as bayesian priors and ridge regressions, but none of them is any good IMO.

Dudley is painfully slow. He's the kind of guy that could still be useful maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but in today's switch heavy NBA, with lots of guys who can shoot off the dribble, will just be mercilessly hunted.  Nowadays defenses are defined by their worse players more than their best players - not having a sieve is more important than having a Bruce Bowen.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:07:41 PM by alt »

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 06:05:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
meh

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2019, 06:12:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

On/off numbers can be useful with very large samples of 10 seasons, ideally with players playing a lot of different line-ups. For a single season, they have no statistical value due to the multicollinearity problem - those numbers depend on the actions of Dudley and other 9 guys, not just Dudley. That's why the list of players by net rating as a bunch of guys from Milwaukee, Golden State and Toronto in there: 14 out of the first 15 among players with GP>50 belong to those 3 teams.

IOW, the Nets point differential was higher with Dudley on the court is completely different than the Nets point differential was higher because Dudley was on the court.

There are some attempts to sort out those multicollinearity problems, using boxscore numbers and other data as bayesian priors and ridge regressions, but none of them is any good IMO.

Dudley is painfully slow. He's the kind of guy that could still be useful maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but in today's switch heavy NBA, with lots of guys who can shoot off the dribble, will just be mercilessly hunted.  Nowadays defenses are defined by their worse players more than their best players - not having a sieve is more important than having a Bruce Bowen.

Dudley isn’t a sieve. That should be clear to anybody who watched the Nets this season, or even just the first round.  The guy was a starter on a playoff team that played above-average defense. The idea that he’s so bad that he can’t be a 10th man is silly.

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard

Dudley isn’t a sieve. That should be clear to anybody who watched the Nets this season, or even just the first round.  The guy was a starter on a playoff team that played above-average defense. The idea that he’s so bad that he can’t be a 10th man is silly.

A started in the sense he started some games, not that he was a regular starter. Dudley started 25 games of the 59 he played, averaging 20mpg. The Nets were the 14th best defensive team in the NBA. I don't know how many players were stasters on playoff teams that played above average defense under those definitions, but surely dozens and dozens of them. Some of them are sieves.

As for Dudley's lateral quickness and defensive prowess, we'll have to agree to disagree.

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2019, 06:55:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Would love to see Dudley on board. Duds has been highly regarded across the league on all his teams as a great locker room presence, great veteran, and great teammate. 100% on board.