Poll

Please choose which player you think is most likely to rise to the super-elite status soonest?

Tyrese Maxey
1 (3.3%)
Tyrese Haliburton
8 (26.7%)
Jalen Brunson
0 (0%)
Donovan Mitchell
0 (0%)
Paolo Banchero
1 (3.3%)
Scottie Barnes
0 (0%)
LaMelo Ball
1 (3.3%)
Cade Cunningham
0 (0%)
Anthony Edwards
18 (60%)
Jamal Murray
0 (0%)
De'Aaron Fox
0 (0%)
Zion Williamson
0 (0%)
Devin Booker
1 (3.3%)
Alperen Sengum
0 (0%)
Ja Morant
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Who is next to ascend to the NBA elite?  (Read 1845 times)

Who is next to ascend to the NBA elite?
« on: January 11, 2024, 10:07:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
With so much great young talent in the league, it would be interesting to see what folks think about who will be the "next big thing" and rise into super-elite, MVP-level conversation. This level now includes players like Embiid, Doncic, Jokic, Tatum, etc. I am including SGA as already being in this group.

I don't consider any of the options in this poll to currently be in "super-elite" category, but all have a chance to get there, IMO. I did NOT include Wemby or Chet as it seems too early for them. If you disagree, please explain your choice in the comments.

Choices are listed with EC first (8 players) and then WC (7 players).

Re: Who is next to ascend to the NBA elite?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 10:15:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
I was gonna say SGA lol but you addressed that in your post.

It's very tough but I'm going Ant (Anthony Edwards). He's still just 22 years old and ascending and is currently the best player for the 1 seed in the West. He's a beast and will continue to rise.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 10:41:48 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Of the listed players, it has to be Ant. If he wasn't there, I'd probably take Banchero. He's a few years away, but he'll be a force.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 11:04:28 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I think ANT is the favorite. He has flashes of 2 way play, looks unstoppable when he is locked in, and has that untouched athletic upside. He got my vote.

If the Pacers continue to take steps forward, Haliburton has to be on of the favorites. He piles up assist numbers, but keeps the ball moving. I love that kind of player. I think he would be an even bigger deal in a bigger market. Guy has star written all over him.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 11:33:35 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Ant, followed by Halliburton and Banchero.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 11:39:37 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
whichever one works their way to a major market team first i think - i dont think jalen brunson is the susperstar level guy for the knicks

lakers are gonna get one of them, im sure

if ant was on the lakers this would be a no brainer

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 12:20:05 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
The 4 guys I considered are the only ones voted on. Didn’t pick Booker bc I think he is topped out and already elite, under rated.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 01:28:08 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
The 4 guys I considered are the only ones voted on. Didn’t pick Booker bc I think he is topped out and already elite, under rated.

I find Booker to be empty stats. He's had 1 good playoff run but that was 3 seasons ago last 2 seasons he was a net negative in the playoffs.
ok fine

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 01:37:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I'd say Edwards, Haliburton, Banchero all have that upside. The other guys I don't really see it. Some like Mitchell/Booker/Brunson are really good but probably top out as like 10-15th best player. Sam

Morant/Williamson are awesome but have "character" issues around them.

Others just haven't shown that high a level yet, so its hard to predict MVP levels if they haven't even made all-star yet. I like Senguin, Cade, Barnes ect but they have a ways to go before they reach MVP level.

Of those three Halliburton is arguably already a top 5 offensive player, but boy is he bad on defense. Hard to get true MVP level with terrible defense. Banchero has the upside, but he's still very inefficient.

Edwards meanwhile already a great two way player, only 22. He may be the answer.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 01:51:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
I was trying to decide between Ant and Hali it was too hard.  I think my answer is that both of them are going to be MVP candidates in 1-3 years if not sooner.  I choose Haliburton because I think his bbiq / instincts are off the charts, and I think that is the more rare characteristic to have.  I think it is easier for Haliburton to become a plus defender because he has the bbiq. 

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 07:03:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Why is Booker on this list? Isn’t he a vet at this point?

I like Antman and Haliburton as a top 2 and both are clear franchise player-level, but I can’t ignore how good Scottie Barnes is. He’s LEGIT!
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 07:06:31 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

I find Booker to be empty stats. He's had 1 good playoff run but that was 3 seasons ago last 2 seasons he was a net negative in the playoffs.

I think that same thing about Morant tbh. Ja is a walking highlight reel but at the end of the day, just a bunch of empty stats. I’d hate it if he was the C’s best player, even if we were the best show in town
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 08:08:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Thanks to all who commented or voted. I also voted for Edwards, but I wonder if "recency bias" has influenced the voting. I thought about putting this poll up after the Orlando game (Banchero) and the Indy games (Haliburton). Would either of those two fared better at that time?

I find it interesting that Booker, Maxey and Ball all got a vote, but without any comments from those who voted for them.
Why is Booker on this list? Isn’t he a vet at this point?
Doesn't matter that he has more years of experience, that is not a criterion for inclusion in this poll. Sure enough, someone voted for him.

Morant not getting any votes was a bit of a surprise.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 08:24:22 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 08:17:54 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I was thinking the other day is

(1) "Haliburton the best PG in the league?"
(2) "Has he surpassed Steph Curry?"
(3) "Is this the first time since 2014 that the best PG in the league is someone other than Steph Curry?"