Author Topic: NBA Off-Season News  (Read 78797 times)

NBA Off-Season News
« on: June 16, 2023, 01:41:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1450
Spurs hopeful Victor Wembanyama will participate in Summer League to a degree

The Spurs are hopeful, I’m told, that Victor Wembanyama will indeed be a participant to some degree in summer league play in Las Vegas. Wembanyama’s French League season finally ended Thursday when the MVP and his Boulogne-Levallois Metropolitans 92 team were swept, 3-0, in the championship series by a Monaco team filled with former NBAers. The Spurs will draft Wembanyama with the No. 1 overall pick next Thursday and are scheduled to play in Sacramento’s California Classic summer league July 3-5 before proceeding to Las Vegas. Wembanyama’s precise availability for summer league play is TBD. – via Marc Stein @ marcstein.substack.com

Will certainly be interesting to see how he’s does in the summer league. Kinda surprised to hear that his team was swept in the euro league playoffs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 02:00:14 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: NBA Off-Season News
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 02:09:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989

The Spurs are hopeful, I’m told, that Victor Wembanyama will indeed be a participant to some degree in summer league play in Las Vegas. Wembanyama’s French League season finally ended Thursday when the MVP and his Boulogne-Levallois Metropolitans 92 team were swept, 3-0, in the championship series by a Monaco team filled with former NBAers. The Spurs will draft Wembanyama with the No. 1 overall pick next Thursday and are scheduled to play in Sacramento’s California Classic summer league July 3-5 before proceeding to Las Vegas. Wembanyama’s precise availability for summer league play is TBD. – via Marc Stein @ marcstein.substack.com

Will certainly be interesting to see how he’s does in the summer league. Kinda surprised to hear that his team was swept in the euro league playoffs.

Monaco was the best team in the French regular season as well, with Wemby’s team #2.  But I’m not sure Wemby’s team would have even been in the top 10 of their league without him — there was a huge experience differential between the two teams.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 02:30:08 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873

Monaco was the best team in the French regular season as well, with Wemby’s team #2.  But I’m not sure Wemby’s team would have even been in the top 10 of their league without him — there was a huge experience differential between the two teams.

If he is as good as everyone seems to think, he should be able to dominate the summer league.

I just had this thought.  I know it will never happen, but can you imagine how much more accurate the draft would be if it were held after the summer league.  Make it so that if you want to be drafted, you have to show up with every other player entering the draft, and play some games.  You could probably work out some insurance plan if a player gets injured.  Maybe 16 teams randomly selected, 8 players per team.  Maybe pay everyone $50,000 or something.

Again, I know it won't happen.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Gotcha. I don’t follow Euroleague much but I did see this…

Victor Wembanyama
Matt Morgan
Marcus Keene
Tremont Waters

Old friend Tremont Waters was a top 5 scorer in that league.  :)
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 03:21:26 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Spurs really making it known they drafting Victor Wembanyama hahaha. Imagine they decide to trade the #1 pick for someone like Luka Doncic or Giannis or Nikola Jokic  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 08:27:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I have to imagine he'd be a bit tired, so doubt there'll be full participation or anything close to it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 10:08:56 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989

If he is as good as everyone seems to think, he should be able to dominate the summer league.

I just had this thought.  I know it will never happen, but can you imagine how much more accurate the draft would be if it were held after the summer league.  Make it so that if you want to be drafted, you have to show up with every other player entering the draft, and play some games.  You could probably work out some insurance plan if a player gets injured.  Maybe 16 teams randomly selected, 8 players per team.  Maybe pay everyone $50,000 or something.

Again, I know it won't happen.

I doubt the draft would be significantly more accurate based on a week of summer league games.  They already have scrimmages at the combine, as well as at a lot of team workouts.  Making drafting decisions off of 19 days of games when guys are learning their teammates names is not going to be better info than the years these players have already been scouted.  Sure, occasionally there’s a guy who pops at summer league, but there are plenty others who struggle and do just fine once their careers start.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 10:12:44 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Gregg Popovich expected to sign three-year deal with Spurs

Don’t expect an official announcement but the front office is operating as if Popovich will return to the sidelines for at least one more season. A couple sources I’ve discussed this with believe that the addition of Wembanyama could help convince the coaching legend to stick around for a while longer.  Popovich’s latest contract expired after the 2023 season. According to a team source, if and when he officially decides to return, Popovich is expected to sign a three-year contract that will pay him in the neighborhood of $14 million per year. The contract will also allow him to opt out after either of the first two seasons.  – via LJ Ellis @ SpursTalk

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 10:01:03 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I don’t think Zion ever wanted to be in New Orleans. He didn’t seem particularly thrilled on draft night and he’s been pretty unprofessional in regards to taking care of himself physically since arriving. Will be interesting to see if this changes when he goes to another team.

As Bill Simmons revealed on 'The Bill Simmons' podcast, he was told that Zion packing his bags and being dealt is going to happen before Thursday's draft.

"I had somebody tell me yesterday that I trust that he [Zion Williamson] will not be on that team on Thursday. I was like, 'really, I haven't heard that. And they were like 'you watch.'" Simmons stated.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:12:48 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 10:12:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I don’t think Zion ever wanted to be in New Orleans. He didn’t seem particularly thrilled on draft night and he’s been pretty unprofessional ion regards to taking care of himself physically since arriving. Will be interesting to see if this changes when he goes to another team.

As Bill Simmons revealed on 'The Bill Simmons' podcast, he was told that Zion packing his bags and being dealt is going to happen before Thursday's draft.

"I had somebody tell me yesterday that I trust that he [Zion Williamson] will not be on that team on Thursday. I was like, 'really, I haven't heard that. And they were like 'you watch.'" Simmons stated.

This is a very bold prediction.  I don't see an obvious deal or destination.  A lot of teams could do a whole lot worse than Zion Williamson as their star or co-star.  Rumors are that NOP wants pick #2 or #3.  A deal with CHA seems to make some sense.

Zion for Smart and RWill is probably about the best that the Celtics could do.  Zion for Brown straight up works also but NOP already has Ingram so not sure that would be how they go.  I think Zion is going to be a good player, all star level for sure, maybe even perennial all-NBA level.  There will be some drama and injuries along the way too.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 10:19:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2420
I don’t think Zion ever wanted to be in New Orleans. He didn’t seem particularly thrilled on draft night and he’s been pretty unprofessional in regards to taking care of himself physically since arriving. Will be interesting to see if this changes when he goes to another team.

It is interesting how angry NOP seem to be with Zion. You had the GM talking about how he was healthy enough to come back and play last season ... just the problem was he was too fat and not able to play. So they would have to wait longer for him to get his fat butt back in shape again before he is ready to play. But he was/is healthy enough to play.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 10:35:42 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

It is interesting how angry NOP seem to be with Zion. You had the GM talking about how he was healthy enough to come back and play last season ... just the problem was he was too fat and not able to play. So they would have to wait longer for him to get his fat butt back in shape again before he is ready to play. But he was/is healthy enough to play.
I don't expect any athletes to harbour any particular intelligence, but based on what's come out regarding his personal life and fitness the guy seems thick in every sense of the word.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 10:43:41 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I don't expect any athletes to harbour any particular intelligence, but based on what's come out regarding his personal life and fitness the guy seems thick in every sense of the word.

Lack of intelligence (relative to other athletes) or lack of maturity?  He is 22 (will be 23 July 6).  I tend to be willing to "cut slack" to athletes that become so famous and rich at such a young age.

I don't know the whole story in NOP of course but I am a little surprised that they would give up on him.  If they can get Scoot or whoever they want, I guess they can cut their loses or salvage something pretty good out of losing Zion.  I assume they think Zion is the next Ben Simmons, rather than the next Joel Embiid.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:49:00 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 10:48:52 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Maturity is part of it but knowing how to keep his private life private is a different measure, I would say.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 11:33:07 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Very curious to see what he would fetch. Dude has all the talent in the world to be a top 5 guy but injuries and conditioning are a problem for him. His off court stuff lately doesn’t help but willing to cut some slack to a rich 22 year old. It’s not like he’s flashing guns on Instagram like Morant. He just hooked up with a crazy ****star lol.