Author Topic: It looks like the Tebows will be in a Super Bowl ad  (Read 5948 times)

Re: It looks like the Tebows will be in a Super Bowl ad
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
celebrating family celebrating life...?

not so bad

....whats killin me is the chargers couldnt beat the jets..that hurts..

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
celebrating family celebrating life...?

not so bad

....whats killin me is the chargers couldnt beat the jets..that hurts..
ditto that man, i was predicting a cowboys - chargers superbowl...so much for that haha.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 11:13:33 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
That makes it a political issue, its silly to think otherwise.

Since right to life is a pillar of the Republican platform, and freedom of choice is a big part of the Democratic agenda (including it being a litmus test for judicial nominees), I think it's clearly a political issue.  That doesn't mean only Republicans believe one way, and Democrats another, but it's political at it's core.

And that being the case, I don't want it mixed with my football.
That's a good point that Fafnir is making about it being an awkward Super Bowl party.

That aside should there also be no ads to try to save Haiti, because Rush said something about it the other day? That must make it a political issue right?

Can nobody try to get us to save the Earth or think green or something because it's too political?

Can nobody buy an ad asking us to be nice to each other and pay it forward or something because that's an Oprah thing and she's political now?

Can Obama not have an ad where he asks us to spend more time with our kids or read to them or something?

No support the troops ads?

You can look at all of these as political or just issues.  Politics free I can understand, but an issue free Super Bowl or Oscars I don't think is likely to actually ever happen

To each of your responses:

1. No one argues, not even Pat Robertson, the need for humanitarian relief in Haiti. The matter in which it's handled is a political issue, not the need for relief itself.

2. Green energy commercials are different because thats an actual business. Ant-Abortion messages are not a business, you can build a career of it not a nest egg.

3. Again, being nice to each other is an apolitical concept.

4. Are you kidding me? The Republican spin machine would have a field day with that.

5. Support the Troops? Fine. Support our nation's choice to continue these wars? not so much.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 12:29:31 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Maybe the single most polarizing political issue of the last forty years has been civil rights

The second, abortion

So how can a commercial about a player who's mother was told to have an abortion in the interest of her health, didn't have it and then that child went on to become a sports star not be politically motivated to sway a political opinion

Keep this, and any ad about healthcare reform, Wall Street reform, tax reform or any other polarizing political subject off television during the Superbowl

The Superbowl might have the ability to influence more drunk people to do stupid things than any other single event that occurs around the world on any given day during the year

Drunk people, polarizing political issues and aggressive football bringing out emotions in people are an explosive combination that probably shouldn't sccur simultaneously
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 12:56:55 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the Super Bowl should keep political messages out of the advertisements.  I don't have a problem with the message (and certainly wouldn't call it gross), but I don't think it's an area that the SB should get involved in.

(Please don't take this as an invitation to discuss choice / life issues.)
My reaction is due to my desire to have Tim Tebow to stop being shoved down my throat, rather than the message. Too many articles/profiles and too many game announcers gushing over him have overwhelmed my tolerance.

I look forward to him becoming a moderate at best NFL player who I won't hear about all the time.

I would prefer it if the SB didn't become overwhelmed with political ads, but I don't think that'll happen.

I didn't even read the link. My gross was in the direction of Tim Tebow being shoved down America's throat as some kind of supernatural being.

Peyton Manning can manage himself and be funny. A little smug..but funny. Tim Tebow...bleh.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 03:17:02 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
This is exactly what I do not want to see while im drinking beer and watching football.  I want to see the funny budweiser commercials, the new movie trailers, etc etc.  I do not want to see political ads at all.  Also, this ad is going to be the cause of numerous arguments at people's superbowl parties.  Topics like this should not be addressed while people are drinking anywhere.
do it