Author Topic: Magic / Bird split screen "There can be only one"  (Read 5682 times)

Magic / Bird split screen "There can be only one"
« on: June 06, 2008, 03:39:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ybLnLxwfYc

Well, it was great seeing Larry back in Celtics green, if only for a moment.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Magic / Bird split screen "There can be only one"
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Artistically easily the worst matched split screen!  Some of the others looked almost like one face.

Pretty cool though.

I wish Larry could be a round for this.

One of the more depressing things I've seen lately was Larry at the Draft Lottery sitting next to some lady who won a contest to be there.  It was just dopey.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How chilling and fitting is it to see that commercial where Larry and Magic are melded into one. It seemed for two decades, maybe more, you couldn't mention one without mentioning the other. Their games were so similar, their mindsets were so similar and their drive to compete and succeed were so similar.

Now to see them as one person, one voice, is truly fabulous marketing and awesome nostalgia.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Artistically easily the worst matched split screen!  Some of the others looked almost like one face.

Pretty cool though.

I wish Larry could be a round for this.

One of the more depressing things I've seen lately was Larry at the Draft Lottery sitting next to some lady who won a contest to be there.  It was just dopey.

I am hoping he is there on Sunday.  I was a little disapointed at the lack of Celtics greats being shown on the jumbotron last night.  I don't think they showed anyone other than Hondo and JoJo White.  Maybe they were just saving them for game 2.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:55:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
they showedd russell and jo jo too I thought

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I LOVE IT. Awesome.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:27 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
That video gave me goosebumps when I saw it last night.

I think we may see an appearance from Mr. Bird in game 6 in the Garden. I just can't see him staying completely away from the C's...

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I think we may see an appearance from Mr. Bird in game 6 in the Garden.

Game 2 is the last Celtics game played in Boston until the pre-season.  Book it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
That was pretty cool. I like the KG-Kobe split screen, too.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
It was great nostalgia for sure. There are few people who revere the 80s rivalry (and especially Bird himself) more than I. But I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. Bird and Magic have nothing at stake right now so there wasn't much emotion or drama to it. We all knew Magic was fat from seeing him on TNT, but man, Bird looked like a beer-bellied Celtic fan wearing his favorite Celtic replica jersey to the game. That said, I do agree that it was nice to see Bird in green again, if just for a moment.

For my money, the Kobe/Garnett split screen is the best of them all - half of the beauty (no pun intended) of those split screens is seeing the nuances and intensity in their facial expressions. Brilliant stuff overall.

Bird/Magic? Again, great nostalgia, but at the same time a little creepy.

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5

Game 2 is the last Celtics game played in Boston until the pre-season.  Book it.
I love the confidence, Roy. I think the players have that same confidence and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Celtics won in 5. As I've said in many threads now, games 1 and 2 will decide this series. If Boston holds serve on Sunday, this series is over...

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

I love the confidence, Roy. I think the players have that same confidence and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Celtics won in 5. As I've said in many threads now, games 1 and 2 will decide this series. If Boston holds serve on Sunday, this series is over...

It's not neccessarily confidence.  The lakers could win the next 4 games and Sunday would still be the last game the C's play in Boston until next season.  But I'm sure Roy wasn't thinking this way. 

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:44:58 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
One thought after watching this piece...

Tank Tops = Bad Idea :o
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »

Offline Schintzius

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 68

For my money, the Kobe/Garnett split screen is the best of them all - half of the beauty (no pun intended) of those split screens is seeing the nuances and intensity in their facial expressions. Brilliant stuff overall.

I think there's gotta be some 3D manipulation / compositing work going on in some of those spots..  A LOT of the time, both guys blink at the same time.   I find it hard to believe that they were able to cue their blinks to match.   

And Bird and Magic's spot, while cool, bordered on grotesque.   Like you said, their faces are the most poorly-matched pair so far. 

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 04:59:02 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I'm hoping for a Danny Ainge / Kevin McHale split screen, where they talk about the joy in helping to bring a title team back to Boston.  ;)