Author Topic: If the Cavs form their Big 3 will it work on D??  (Read 1114 times)

If the Cavs form their Big 3 will it work on D??
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:51:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If the Cavs trade Wiggins for Love and form a three star team build around James, Irving and Love will they defend good enough to win a championship?

Irving by most accounts is a below average defensive PG, Love is an average individual defender who gives 0 rim protection from the 4 spot, James is an all nba level defender when he needs to be. In comparison with the Heat I would say Irving is worse then Wade and Love is worse then Bosh on the defensive end. Wade is not aging well and was hurt alot but with his size and length I still think its safe to say he defends better then Irving.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: If the Cavs form their Big 3 will it work on D??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Irving can be a better defender if he just tries. While you can't assume he's willing to try, you have to hope the coach/LBJ is strong enough to demand that from him.

As long as they work on a strong defensive system and don't put out to many other liabilities they'd be fine.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Depends who they can find besides Varajao to man the 5, and who is playing the 2. Wade was a 2, Chalmers typically the 1. If they can find an inexpensive 5 for great D, they'll be fine.

Overall, they get worse on D though. They aren't finding a 2/3 like Wiggins (even in his rookie year) to help LeBron on the defensive side of the ball. Must retain Wiggins!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
On offense the team is probably better, fitting very well with LeBron in particular (since Kyrie can shoot, he is a better fit than Wade, and Love has natural range).

I think Love and Kyrie could definitely both manage to be average if not better with the right system and really trying hard (which makes a difference with a different team and different stakes I think, has for guys like Pierce).

And you get defense from the other positions on the floor as role players.

That team would be very good.  On offense I think they'd be really outstanding and on defense with the right players around them, very good as well.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
defense will be a one man team

Miami's defense was better with their big 3

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Call me crazy but I think Cleveland would be better off trading Irving for Love instead of Wiggins.

Waiters brings 80-90% of what Irving brings, for a fraction of the price, and he filled in admirably at pg when Irving was hurt last year.

Waiters
Wiggins
LeBron
Love
Varajao

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I agree Love and Irving will be better on D by giving greater effort but their phyical short comings are still their. Paul Pierce become a better defender when KG arived but he already was an average to above average wing athlete with size and strength. Love and Irving both lack length at their positions and are average athletically.

On offense I think its a great grouping. The one element that I think James will lose with this group is playing the small ball PF. Where Bosh had the length to play the center and give the Heat a lineup where James was the Pf surrounded by 4 shooters, I dont think Love will get by in this role. This may never matter because all three are so offensively dynamic that a scheme can be constructed with defensive center.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet