3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 49507 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler has requested a trade
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
One of the reasons Butler wants out of Minnesota is Townes - the guy reportedly only cares about his offense and apparently does not have the greatest work ethic or commitment to his team or to winning. In other words, a self-centered headcase who doesn't play much defense. We already got one of those - I don't want another.

I know this is the narrative but I am not sure I buy it.  It seems that Butler is really full of himself.  Towns may have issues too but Butler clearly just wants out.  I don't think it is fair to blame Towns in any way.  There are going to be players with attitude issues at least as bad as Town's on every team.  If Butler wants to be "the man" he should be more of a leader and deal with the locker room issues (if in fact there really is an issue with Towns).  And do you really think that if Towns was an issue that Thibs wouldn't deal with it very directly?

Yeah, I would not be at all surprised if the Twolves perform much better on the court without Butler.
They certainly didn't last year when Butler was out injured. 

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One of the reasons Butler wants out of Minnesota is Townes - the guy reportedly only cares about his offense and apparently does not have the greatest work ethic or commitment to his team or to winning. In other words, a self-centered headcase who doesn't play much defense. We already got one of those - I don't want another.

I know this is the narrative but I am not sure I buy it.  It seems that Butler is really full of himself.  Towns may have issues too but Butler clearly just wants out.  I don't think it is fair to blame Towns in any way.  There are going to be players with attitude issues at least as bad as Town's on every team.  If Butler wants to be "the man" he should be more of a leader and deal with the locker room issues (if in fact there really is an issue with Towns).  And do you really think that if Towns was an issue that Thibs wouldn't deal with it very directly?

Yeah, I would not be at all surprised if the Twolves perform much better on the court without Butler.
They certainly didn't last year when Butler was out injured.
Losing Butler for nothing due to injury =/= trading Butler for valuable pieces that can play
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
On tv it said “butler prefers clippers but open to nyk or brooklyn”
Yep.  Clippers have the easiest path to a second max contract next summer.

If Butler’s #1 destination is the LA Clippers, then I highly doubt teaming up with Kyrie is in the works. There is no way Kyrie wants to play second fiddle to LeBron in LA, especially since the Clippers are LA’s lesser of the two teams.

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

If Butler’s #1 destination is the LA Clippers, then I highly doubt teaming up with Kyrie is in the works. There is no way Kyrie wants to play second fiddle to LeBron in LA, especially since the Clippers are LA’s lesser of the two teams.

There’s also something to be said with the NBA not wanting the full balance of power not only in the same conference but all in the same state with GSW , Lakers and Clippers if that happens

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Knicks have stated that they don't want to give up assets to get Butler. Good news for him teaming up with KI in New York.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Plus Woj reports that Clips remain Leonard’s first choice next season.

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2018, 01:01:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

well if the Clips get both of them next season it should further ensure a relative cakewalk to the Finals for the C's if they keep Kyrie (and probably even if they don't)

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2018, 01:30:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

If true, this is interesting.  In the age when all the stars are trying to play with other stars, suddenly nobody wants to play with LeBron.

• Kawhi was interested in Lakers, but now prefers Clippers because of LeBron.
  • Butler was interested in Lakers, but now prefers Clippers because of LeBron.
  • George was interested in Lakers, but chose to stay in OKC.  Also he didn't want to be traded to Cleveland before last season while LeBron was still there.
  • Irving played with LeBron and asked for a trade.

Couple of articles talking about it here and here, though not any great sources, really all just speculation with nothing else to talk about. 

Interesting to think about though.  It could be people don't want to be in LeBron's shadow and watch him get all the credit, or maybe they just think LeBron is too old to team up with, maybe it's nothing against LeBron but they're just not as close with him because he's 5-8 years older than most of the stars in the league now and they prefer teaming up with guys from their own "generation", or maybe it has nothing to do with LeBron at all.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:45:56 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

If true, this is interesting.  In the age when all the stars are trying to play with other stars, suddenly nobody wants to play with LeBron.

• George was interested in Lakers, but chose to stay in OKC.  Also he didn't want to be traded to Cleveland before last season while LeBron was still there.

Couple of articles talking about it here and here, though not any great sources, really all just speculation with nothing else to talk about. 

Interesting to think about though.  It could be people don't want to be in LeBron's shadow and watch him get all the credit, or maybe they just think LeBron is too old to team up with, maybe it's nothing against LeBron but they're just not as close with him because he's 5-8 years older than most of the stars in the league now and they prefer teaming up with guys from their own "generation", or maybe it has nothing to do with LeBron at all.

I didn’t even think about the guys that you mentioned. I wonder if part of it goes back to LeBron’s time with the Miami Heat? Miami was Dwayne Wade’s team, and Bosh was the other star player who came from Toronto. Yet, during that whole time those guys played together in Miami, LeBron seemed to get all of the attention and credit. Irving and Love received the same treatment in Cleveland.

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I didn’t even think about the guys that you mentioned. I wonder if part of it goes back to LeBron’s time with the Miami Heat? Miami was Dwayne Wade’s team, and Bosh was the other star player who came from Toronto. Yet, during that whole time those guys played together in Miami, LeBron seemed to get all of the attention and credit. Irving and Love received the same treatment in Cleveland.
Well in Cleveland it didn't help that Irving and Love were injured in the Cleveland's first Finals and Lebron took a dominant Golden State team to 6 games all by himself. I know Iggy got the Finals MVP but the real MVP of that Finals was Lebron in a losing effort.

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I think Butler thinks AD is coming to the Clips is why he is going there. IMO
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Kawhi and Butler both going to Clippers next season..they will try and get Kyrie come also..if i was T-Wolves, i trade him to Nets to get him out of the West
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I didn’t realize Butler is already 29.  I would be careful signing him to a max contract at age 30.  The back end of that contract could be ugly.  You might get another couple prime seasons from him, but maybe not much more.

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2018, 08:14:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I didn’t realize Butler is already 29.  I would be careful signing him to a max contract at age 30.  The back end of that contract could be ugly.  You might get another couple prime seasons from him, but maybe not much more.
Especially considering his reliance on his athleticism to score at the ring and defend, he could decline quite quickly
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2018, 12:11:15 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Story filed to ESPN: Rival executives lobbing calls to Minnesota’s front office on possibility of trading for Jimmy Butler are getting inquires shut down. Minnesota is telling teams that Butler’s an elite player and franchise intends to keep him.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1043160715773784064?s=21

Also: As the case with past trades involving Minnesota stars Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love, owner Glen Taylor will be a major part of the process on deciding whether to move Butler this season.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1043161490285625344?s=21