Author Topic: NFL Playoffs thread  (Read 23722 times)

NFL Playoffs thread
« on: January 05, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Through three games, these playoffs have been awesome.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: NFL Playoffs thread
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This Saints/Vikings game have been... tense, to say the least. However, I feel the enjoyment of games gets dulled in my eyes when the game is close because both teams are making poor decisions (Saints clock management was horrendous, as an example). That's just me tho. Let's see how OT goes.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 04:20:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This Saints/Vikings game have been... tense, to say the least. However, I feel the enjoyment of games gets dulled in my eyes when the game is close because both teams are making poor decisions (Saints clock management was horrendous, as an example). That's just me tho. Let's see how OT goes.

I hear you, but I’ll take this. Three games that came down to the final possession so far.

I do hate seeing the Vikings win, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

I hear you, but I’ll take this. Three games that came down to the final possession so far.

I do hate seeing the Vikings win, though.
As I say that, Cousins throws a huge bomb to Theilen for the win. This Saints loss is on Sean Payton, as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 04:25:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Happy for Kirk Cousins and MIN.

Dude has FINALLY broken through.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995

They're getting killed in San Francisco

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Agreed. Cousins stepped up that final drive and delivered a few beautiful throws there to win it.

Meanwhile, that's a brutal loss for the Saints. We ask if Brady is going to retire, but there's a chance Brees could decide to. I mean, it looked like he was going to after last season but he stuck around. He could play 2-3 more years IMO but Brees himself has stated he'd like to go out on his own terms and probably a bit earlier than most would expect (like ages 40-42).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

They're getting killed in San Francisco
IDK about that. If good Kirk Cousins shows up, that Vikings team's offense has the potential to be a wrecking ball.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 04:42:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Really need to change the OT rule.  Mahomes last year and Brees this year not even touching the ball is a problem. You can't shut out your best players from having any chance to win because of a coin flip. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Really need to change the OT rule.  Mahomes last year and Brees this year not even touching the ball is a problem. You can't shut out your best players from having any chance to win because of a coin flip.

That's the defense's fault for not being able to capitalize though

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 05:30:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

playoff offenses have scored a td on the first possession of OT a lot more than they have failed recently.  It is a real problem for the league to keep having it's best players not get a chance based solely on a coin flip.  No other sport in the world let's their most important games get decided by a coin flip.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

playoff offenses have scored a td on the first possession of OT a lot more than they have failed recently.  It is a real problem for the league to keep having it's best players not get a chance based solely on a coin flip.  No other sport in the world let's their most important games get decided by a coin flip.

I get both sides of the argument, but I favor Mo's approach.  Let your star players touch the ball.  It creates a lot more drama.  There would be more 4th down plays, more discussion of going for 2 if each team scored a TD in OT, etc.

Imagine Patriots / Falcons.  Instead of the game ending when the Patriots inevitably scored a TD on the first touch of OT, Matt Ryan gets the ball back.  On an 80 yard drive that features multiple converted fourth downs, the Falcons score on 4th and goal from their four yard line.  The Falcons realize that their defense is gassed and likely won't stop New England from scoring on their next drive.  They decide to end the game, going for two. 

Best ending in Super Bowl history.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 06:20:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Agree about this. Have liked the college OT way more than the NFL ones.

However, glad to see Sean Payton fail.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I get both sides of the argument, but I favor Mo's approach.  Let your star players touch the ball.  It creates a lot more drama.  There would be more 4th down plays, more discussion of going for 2 if each team scored a TD in OT, etc.

Imagine Patriots / Falcons.  Instead of the game ending when the Patriots inevitably scored a TD on the first touch of OT, Matt Ryan gets the ball back.  On an 80 yard drive that features multiple converted fourth downs, the Falcons score on 4th and goal from their four yard line.  The Falcons realize that their defense is gassed and likely won't stop New England from scoring on their next drive.  They decide to end the game, going for two. 

Best ending in Super Bowl history.

I'm not here to lean one way or the other, but getting the 2nd/last possession would seemingly be much more advantageous than starting with the ball. Not only would you get a chance to see if your defense was able to stop the other team, but - if they did score a td - you would be getting four chances to get a 1st down rather than just the typical three (where teams generally punt or kick a fg if it is any more than 4th and 1).

It really is a conundrum, and am glad I am not in charge of making the rules. I won't lie and say that I am happy this rule has now benefited the Pats now in two humongous games.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 07:21:33 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

The game wasn’t decided by a coin flip.  The Saints had 60 minutes to win the game and had a chance to get a TD at the end of regulation but settled for a field goal.  The Vikings only scored 20 points in regulation so it’s really not too much to ask to have your defense hold them to a field goal on the first possession