Author Topic: Doc axed  (Read 2304 times)

Re: Doc axed
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 06:51:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Doc is not their problem

1) Embiid is the best player on the planet for 3 quarters but wears down in the fourth
2)   Harden too had bad fourth quarter
3)   The supporting aside from Maxey is garbage. 
4)  The process did not work

That Tatum / Fultz swap is a tough tough pill to swallow still...

The bridges trade was an all time bad trade that people don’t talk about. https://sports.yahoo.com/nets-mikal-bridges-p---ed-off-140048792.html

Yep.  And if they didn't want to draft Bridges, they could have taken SGA.

I mean, let's give Philly competent management.

Draft Tatum.

Still do the Jimmy Butler trade.

Don't do the Tobias Harris trade.

Trade Ben Simmons for Tyrese Haliburton (which allegedly was on the table).

"I went to Topgolf the night before with some friends," Haliburton said. "I had a good night. I woke up that morning and got the call from my agent and I think I didn't answer at first. He texted me, he's like, 'Call me ASAP.' So I'm like, 'Is somebody getting traded?' And then he's like, 'You're getting traded.' And I was like, 'Stop playing.' He's like, 'No, you're going to get traded. I think you're going to get traded to Philly.' And I'm like, 'Really?'"

Don't trade Bridges to Phoenix after drafting him.

Draft Isaiah Jackson and Tyrese Maxey with the draft picks that were originally sent for Tobias Harris.

Embiid
Tatum / Jackson
Bridges
Butler / Maxey
Haliburton

Nobody is beating that team.  They'd have the best defense in the NBA by a mile, and probably the top offense, too.
Don't think Danny would have traded with the Sixers if he thought the Sixers would take Tatum.  It was obvious they were after Fultz.  As for trading Simmons for Haliburton, there were certainly rumors but I don't recall ever seeing a legit source.  If you really want to add something, Hinkie should have drafted Giannis rather than MCW.  Unlike Danny, Hinkie gets somewhat of a pass since he'd only been on the job a couple months.  You could also add Timelord to their roster.  Both the Lakers and Sixers passed on him right before we took him. 

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 07:08:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Doc is not their problem

1) Embiid is the best player on the planet for 3 quarters but wears down in the fourth

The bridges trade was an all time bad trade that people don’t talk about. https://sports.yahoo.com/nets-mikal-bridges-p---ed-off-140048792.html

Yep.  And if they didn't want to draft Bridges, they could have taken SGA.

I mean, let's give Philly competent management.

Draft Tatum.

Still do the Jimmy Butler trade.

Don't do the Tobias Harris trade.

Trade Ben Simmons for Tyrese Haliburton (which allegedly was on the table).

"I went to Topgolf the night before with some friends," Haliburton said. "I had a good night. I woke up that morning and got the call from my agent and I think I didn't answer at first. He texted me, he's like, 'Call me ASAP.' So I'm like, 'Is somebody getting traded?' And then he's like, 'You're getting traded.' And I was like, 'Stop playing.' He's like, 'No, you're going to get traded. I think you're going to get traded to Philly.' And I'm like, 'Really?'"

Don't trade Bridges to Phoenix after drafting him.

Draft Isaiah Jackson and Tyrese Maxey with the draft picks that were originally sent for Tobias Harris.

Embiid
Tatum / Jackson
Bridges
Butler / Maxey
Haliburton

Nobody is beating that team.  They'd have the best defense in the NBA by a mile, and probably the top offense, too.
Don't think Danny would have traded with the Sixers if he thought the Sixers would take Tatum.  It was obvious they were after Fultz.  As for trading Simmons for Haliburton, there were certainly rumors but I don't recall ever seeing a legit source.  If you really want to add something, Hinkie should have drafted Giannis rather than MCW.  Unlike Danny, Hinkie gets somewhat of a pass since he'd only been on the job a couple months.  You could also add Timelord to their roster.  Both the Lakers and Sixers passed on him right before we took him.
Imagine how disappointing it would have been had Philly drafted Timelord and LA drafted Mitchell Robinson!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2023, 07:25:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Doc is not their problem

Regardless of what we may think of Doc, I hope this wasn't a reaction to Harden potentially being on Morey's ear. We'll see if someone makes the mistake of giving Harden a big contract, particularly  a long one.

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2023, 07:32:15 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
With so many coaching vacancies do people think Doc will be back coaching next season? I personally do not see it happening

I think teams will be weary going forward, and I don't see him wanting to go to a team that is rebuilding

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 07:37:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
With so many coaching vacancies do people think Doc will be back coaching next season? I personally do not see it happening

I think teams will be weary going forward, and I don't see him wanting to go to a team that is rebuilding

He won't be the first choice for teams but if a team loses out on other possibilities, I could see them pivoting to Doc. Which would be a mistake IMO. If you're a team that wants to "get over the hump", Doc is literally the last guy to consider hiring  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 08:05:14 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 172
I'm gonna drop this here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwiU0EqOwU

Sorry for the people who will be triggered over the 2010 game 7 discussion.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 03:50:30 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Doc is not their problem

That Tatum/Fultz swap probably never happens if it were Hinkie rather than Colabgelo running the show.

Also Doc Rivers seems to have that fatal combination of being set in his ways while also having the charisma to successfully scapegoat others for his mistakes
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 03:53:41 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm gonna drop this here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cQwiU0EqOwU

Sorry for the people who will be triggered over the 2010 game 7 discussion.

Literally just watched this before coming on to the forum. Nice share TP!
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

My guess is that he takes a year off as an analyst.  I agree with you on both counts - I like Doc, but admittedly he hasn't gone deep into the playoffs since he was in Boston and I'm sure he doesn't want a non-playoff team.