Author Topic: Western Conference Finals  (Read 20761 times)

Re: Western Conference Finals
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 12:17:04 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
 if I trusted this team more, I'd say give me LA. However I don't trust them and nor the NBA to not give LeRoid a nice little ending to his story.
Give me Denver.....I think.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2023, 12:24:32 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Denver is the #1 seed but I'm not sold on their playoff run. And they're always cursed. It's gonna be Lakers winning the West. I would entertain the idea of a Denver vs Boston Finals tho.

Celtics need to do their part and take care of Miami.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 12:40:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Who do you have winning?  Who do you want to win?  Why?

I'm torn.  The best possible ending to this season is beating Lebron and the Lakers in the Finals, for any number of reasons.  The guy historically gave us so many problems in the playoffs; he's an epic whiner; it's the Lakers.

But, I also hate risk.  The best way to guarantee the Lakers don't win is if they don't advance to the Finals.  I can glve with losing to Jokic, and if we collapse in the ECF, I'd be fine seeing Denver win.  Not so much Lebron and the Lakers.

This where I'm at.

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 12:47:26 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I’m risk aversive, anxiety aversive, and Laker aversive.

Don’t want any chance for Lakers to win. Hope Denver crushes them.

Don’t want the unbearable tension of a Cs-LAL Finals with #18 on the line.

As for who will win, no comment - but I want Boston and Denver.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 04:11:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I’m risk aversive, anxiety aversive, and Laker aversive.

Don’t want any chance for Lakers to win. Hope Denver crushes them.

Don’t want the unbearable tension of a Cs-LAL Finals with #18 on the line.

As for who will win, no comment - but I want Boston and Denver.

Ditto

Should we make it to the Finals the joy of beating the Lakers doesn't measure up to how sick I'd be about losing to Bronnie Brand Lakers.  They're not even a real team.  Just ick...
Yup

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 05:14:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would love little more than to beat LeBron and the Lakers in the Finals. I'm not sure anything would taste sweeter. I am fully confident we would be able to beat them, but the idea of being on the receiving end of another 2010 would break me I feel.

I also don't think they beat the Nuggets. The Nuggets offence is unbelievable, led by the best player in the world, and they've finally got some health. Their defence has also improved a lot these playoffs.

Only issue is I do not want to face Jokic in the Finals, given the possessed way he's playing. But the Nuggets are the team I want to win the 2nd most, after Boston (duh!).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 05:21:12 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I would love little more than to beat LeBron and the Lakers in the Finals. I'm not sure anything would taste sweeter. I am fully confident we would be able to beat them, but the idea of being on the receiving end of another 2010 would break me I feel.

I also don't think they beat the Nuggets. The Nuggets offence is unbelievable, led by the best player in the world, and they've finally got some health. Their defence has also improved a lot these playoffs.

Only issue is I do not want to face Jokic in the Finals, given the possessed way he's playing. But the Nuggets are the team I want to win the 2nd most, after Boston (duh!).

Have been rolling around this post in my head a bit and I think I care less about the fate of this team than I did the 2010 team - mostly because they're all a lot younger. The worst part of 2010 was that we all knew that these guys were on a clock (and 2009 had shown just how fragile things could be) and we watched the referees hand us a loss. I don't feel that way with the current squad - most of them will be back next season and they're young, save Al.

Now, handing the banner race advantage to the Lakers on the back of LeBron's likely last year as a top-tier NBA player? that sucks, but it's not nearly as soul-crushing.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2023, 05:26:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Have been rolling around this post in my head a bit and I think I care less about the fate of this team than I did the 2010 team - mostly because they're all a lot younger. The worst part of 2010 was that we all knew that these guys were on a clock (and 2009 had shown just how fragile things could be) and we watched the referees hand us a loss. I don't feel that way with the current squad - most of them will be back next season and they're young, save Al.

Now, handing the banner race advantage to the Lakers on the back of LeBron's likely last year as a top-tier NBA player? that sucks, but it's not nearly as soul-crushing.

Conversely, taking the banner lead against the Lakers, of all teams, led by a notorious Celtics killer (2012-onward) Lebron would be the utmost satisfaction. 

You take the banner lead back, beat the Lakers, & break this Lebron curse all in one fell swoop?  That'd be incredible.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2023, 05:40:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I most want a Celtics-Lakers final, for obvious reasons, but it's also my greatest basketball fear, because losing to the Lakers—especially when it would mean them taking the title lead over Boston—would just be awful. Even more so because I live in SoCal and most of my friends are HUGE Lakers fans, so I wouldn't even have fellow Celtics fans here in person to commiserate with.

But ... to beat a Lakers team led by LeBron ... that would just be ... the BEST.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2023, 05:49:42 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Conversely, taking the banner lead against the Lakers, of all teams, led by a notorious Celtics killer (2012-onward) Lebron would be the utmost satisfaction. 

You take the banner lead back, beat the Lakers, & break this Lebron curse all in one fell swoop?  That'd be incredible.
Oh, of course - it's the best possible road to victory and it's just shy of the 10 year anniversary of the KG and Pierce trade with Brooklyn, which would put a nice bow on it.

But for now, I have to root for Denver. Because we always cheer for two teams: the Celtics, and whoever beats the Lakers.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2023, 06:31:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm picking Denver in 6

BUT I also feel Denver has to start this series 2-0. If LAL splits the first two, they have the advantage. LAL is 7-0 at home this postseason (including play-in game). Denver could take a game on the road, but I doubt they can take more than that. Of course, they can simply protect their HCA to win the series. Going up 2-0 would put a lot of pressure on the Lakers.

I don't think this is a "paper tiger" Nuggets team like previous years. Jokic has much better help and a better team around him than previous years. Murray's been awesome and Jokic has been playing like the true  best player in the postseason
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2023, 08:27:27 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
When you see the Lakers living at the line in this series your choice will be clear. Go Nuggets

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2023, 08:32:47 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I want the Lakers to lose and the Celtics to win.

If the Lakers lose this round or next, I don't care.

If the Celtics win the championship this year or the next five, I want them all!

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2023, 08:51:55 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I think this is when the Lakers talent finally rears its head. they still are an 8th seed facing a #1 seed. and Anthony Davis is bi-polar.

they caught a grizzlies team that was young and inexperienced. and then faced a golden state team that lets face it was a pretty bad team all year.

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2023, 09:14:27 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
I'm picking Denver in 6

BUT I also feel Denver has to start this series 2-0. If LAL splits the first two, they have the advantage. LAL is 7-0 at home this postseason (including play-in game). Denver could take a game on the road, but I doubt they can take more than that. Of course, they can simply protect their HCA to win the series. Going up 2-0 would put a lot of pressure on the Lakers.

I don't think this is a "paper tiger" Nuggets team like previous years. Jokic has much better help and a better team around him than previous years. Murray's been awesome and Jokic has been playing like the true  best player in the postseason

Lakers were able to get the split in the first two games of their last two series. I think they'll be able to get the split here (Nuggets to lose Game 1), defend home-court and go up 3-1. Denver will be under pressure.

Tho the difference between 2020 bubble and this meeting is...they played at a neutral site. Now they're playing in Denver's actual home which is high altitude. Wonder how well LeBron and AD fare in this environment.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)