Author Topic: Sixers at a Crossroads?  (Read 5919 times)

Sixers at a Crossroads?
« on: April 29, 2023, 07:05:03 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
If the 76ers were to lose to the Celtics 🤞🏻, I am curious if it would set in motion a full scale Philly rebuild.

We’ve already heard from legitimate sources that James Harden is interested in a return to the Rockets. But if he was to leave via free agency…could Embiid follow him to Houston?

Udoka, is a former Sixers assistant, spent one season coaching Embiid in 2019-2020. While he wasn't there for a long time, apparently Udoka grew close with Embiid during his short-lived stint in Philadelphia.

This off-season, the Rockets will have roughly 60 million available in cap space. That along with a blue chip prospect like Jalen Green, a possible top 3 pick in the 2023 draft and a treasure trove of valuable first round picks, could the Sixers really reject an Embiid trade offer from Houston?

Given the current fluctuation of the Western Conference, an Embiid, Harden tandem would be an instant contender.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Sixers at a Crossroads?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 07:08:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If the 76ers were to lose to the Celtics 🤞🏻, I am curious if it would set in motion a full scale Philly rebuild.

We’ve already heard from legitimate sources that James Harden is interested in a return to the Rockets. But if he was to leave in free agency, could Embiid follow him to Houston?

Udoka, is a former Sixers assistant, spent one season coaching Embiid in 2019-2020. While he wasn't there for a long time, apparently Udoka grew close with Embiid during his short-lived stint in Philadelphia.

This off-season, the Rockets will have roughly 60 million available in cap space. That along with a blue chip prospect like Jalen Green, a possible top 3 pick in the 2023 draft and a treasure trove of valuable first round picks, could the Sixers really reject an Embiid trade offer from Houston?

Given the current fluctuation of the Western Conference, an Embiid, Harden tandem would be an instant contender.

Sounds possible ….and Ol Duck Rivers might get his traveling papers if they are swept. 

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 07:17:44 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
If Harden leaves, they still have a potent Big Three to build around with Embiid, Maxey and T Harris.

Good opportunity for Maxey if he can continue to develop to show he can be a genuine #2 option for a title contender. His development has been promising.

It would also be good for Tobias Harris. I think he plays well next to Embiid and well next to Harden but not well next to both Harden & Embiid. He gets caught off the ball too much. Not involved enough in the game. Embiid's isolation game plus Harden's overdribbling makes life difficult for him. Harris is guy who has to touch the ball a lot and be involved to get him going and keep him engaged in the game. So I'd expect him to do better with Harden gone.

I would still feel very good about that group if I were Philly. I wouldn't be sure how I get the right supporting cast around them but I would be happy with the core of the team and look to keep it together. Find a way to plough through.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 02:32:15 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Don't see the Sixers trading Embiid.  However if they did, I don't see why he'd end up at Houston.  Harden is on a downward slope.  I don't know why Houston wants him back but it isn't to win championships.  A Harden/Embiid combo would have a very, very small window at best.  OKC has a lot of assets and a Shai/Embiid combo would be a better, longer championship contender. 

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 04:48:17 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
If Harden leaves, they still have a potent Big Three to build around with Embiid, Maxey and T Harris.

Good opportunity for Maxey if he can continue to develop to show he can be a genuine #2 option for a title contender. His development has been promising.

It would also be good for Tobias Harris. I think he plays well next to Embiid and well next to Harden but not well next to both Harden & Embiid. He gets caught off the ball too much. Not involved enough in the game. Embiid's isolation game plus Harden's overdribbling makes life difficult for him. Harris is guy who has to touch the ball a lot and be involved to get him going and keep him engaged in the game. So I'd expect him to do better with Harden gone.

I would still feel very good about that group if I were Philly. I wouldn't be sure how I get the right supporting cast around them but I would be happy with the core of the team and look to keep it together. Find a way to plough through.
Lol at acting like Harris is a part of anything

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 06:58:20 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Harris is a solid player who is making 10M or so too much.  He's pretty good offensively but you don't want him handling the ball a lot.  He has significantly improved his defense over the last few years.  He compares pretty well with most teams' 3rd best player.  If you rank him 4th on the Sixers, is there any team with a better 4th best player?  Harris also only has one year left on his contract which could be good if they can sign him to a cheaper contract or bad if they have to overpay or if he walks for nothing. 

The key for the Sixers is Maxey.  Can he step up to be a top level #2 star?  Can he improve as a shot creator (i.e. can he take on more of Harden's role)?

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 09:56:12 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487

Harris is a solid player who is making 10M or so too much.  He's pretty good offensively but you don't want him handling the ball a lot.  He has significantly improved his defense over the last few years.  He compares pretty well with most teams' 3rd best player.  If you rank him 4th on the Sixers, is there any team with a better 4th best player?  Harris also only has one year left on his contract which could be good if they can sign him to a cheaper contract or bad if they have to overpay or if he walks for nothing. 

The key for the Sixers is Maxey.  Can he step up to be a top level #2 star?  Can he improve as a shot creator (i.e. can he take on more of Harden's role)?

I would rather have Brogdon, White, or Smart than Tobias. All those guys are more dynamic offensively and are better defenders as well.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Is this serious? Obviously the Celtics have a better 4th player and maybe even fifth player than Harris. He certainly isn’t better than klay, dray or wiggins. Would rather ayton than him. Brook lopez is clearly better than him. Banes or Adam’s is a better player than him. Jarret Allen is clearly better than him. JV is clearly
Better than him on pelicans. Even a mediocre team like the blazers is he better than nurkic or grant? You could go through half the league like this with a better 4th player. He is an ok starter but again he isn’t a part of a big anything that is just silly.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 02:12:11 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 12:31:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
No offense, but I hate threads that speculates what will happen to our opponent once Celts beat them in the upcoming series.  Has bad karma written all over it.  Let's focus on winning the first game, shall we?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 12:39:28 PM by footey »

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2023, 12:51:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
No offense, but I hate threads that speculates what will happen to our opponent once Celts beat them in the upcoming series.  Has bad karma written all over it.  Let's focus on winning the first game, shall we?

Thanks, yes, I plan to spend about 0 time thinking about what the Sixers may do in the off season.  It looks like Embiid is going to be gimpy at best, Harden went to Vegas during this off time for the team, and I think the players have tuned out Doc.  But all I care about is how that will affect the upcoming series.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Embiid just signed an extension, the Sixers are his team, and he’s in his prime so I see him giving the organization every opportunity to make it work and stay for the next 2-3 seasons.

Every other player will be on the block except for Maxey (who they should consider trading for a better fit alongside Joel but won’t).

The Tobias Harris contract will be an expiring that won’t cost assets to dump. Harden leaving without getting assets in return will be a minor drawback, but they will have the cap space to use with smart maneuvering.

If I’m in the Philly FO, I’d build an elite half court team. He’s built to win in the half court, while they’ve surrounded him with players like Simmons, Harden, and Maxey. The irony is that rival teams (Boston and Brooklyn) have the exact mix of players that would be great around him.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I am not willing to have this conversation or even entertain these ideas until after this series is over.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 05:22:07 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

More like $20 mil too much. He makes almost $40 mil a year. Philly just waiting for his contract to expire at this point.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 05:27:08 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Embiid just signed an extension, the Sixers are his team, and he’s in his prime so I see him giving the organization every opportunity to make it work and stay for the next 2-3 seasons.

Every other player will be on the block except for Maxey (who they should consider trading for a better fit alongside Joel but won’t).

The Tobias Harris contract will be an expiring that won’t cost assets to dump. Harden leaving without getting assets in return will be a minor drawback, but they will have the cap space to use with smart maneuvering.

If I’m in the Philly FO, I’d build an elite half court team. He’s built to win in the half court, while they’ve surrounded him with players like Simmons, Harden, and Maxey. The irony is that rival teams (Boston and Brooklyn) have the exact mix of players that would be great around him.
I know there wasn’t a chance of this happening but a combo of JT and Embiid would have been nuts.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 10:27:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would say more of a retool.   They would likely need to go all out in getting wing defender who can shoot to try and defend the Celtic's wings.