Author Topic: First NBA player opts out of remaining season  (Read 6528 times)

Re: First NBA player opts out of remaining season
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 02:04:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Should be the right thing to do- sitting out. Covid cases are hitting up high in Florida.

Plus, the Wizards need to go a grueling 6-2 to make the playoffs as a #8 seed only to get swept by Milwaukee? Not taking the chance this year. All this season resuming talks is a LeBron ploy, glad there are players opting out of it for the concern of their health.

Even if you recover from covid-19 illness, your lungs will be forever compromised which can have an ailing effect down the road.
Only if it actually reaches the lungs iirc, players like Mitchell didn't have pulmonary fibrosis because the virus didn't reach the lungs I think?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 08:13:04 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
According to Woj, Ariza will also be sitting out.

Yeah, but to be fair it's for another reason.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1275181721613406208

Portland Trail Blazers forward Trevor Ariza is opting-out of participation in the NBA’s Orlando restart of the season, committing instead to a one-month visitation window with his young son, sources tell ESPN.

Sources: Ariza has been involved in a custody case over his 12-year old son, and mother’s choice of granting a court-ordered one month visitation period during league’s quarantine of teams in Orlando left Ariza to choose those parenting responsibilities over competing in restart.

Can't really fault Ariza for this one. Great to see him do the right thing for his son.

Absolutely. I'm actually happy to hear this one.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
According to Woj, Ariza will also be sitting out.

Yeah, but to be fair it's for another reason.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1275181721613406208

Portland Trail Blazers forward Trevor Ariza is opting-out of participation in the NBA’s Orlando restart of the season, committing instead to a one-month visitation window with his young son, sources tell ESPN.

Sources: Ariza has been involved in a custody case over his 12-year old son, and mother’s choice of granting a court-ordered one month visitation period during league’s quarantine of teams in Orlando left Ariza to choose those parenting responsibilities over competing in restart.

What kind of custody agreement is this?

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Despite multiple offers Cousins has decided to sit out too.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 03:11:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I find it interesting that the players who've so far announced they're choosing to sit out seem to be doing so for reasons other than covid.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 03:18:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I find it interesting that the players who've so far announced they're choosing to sit out seem to be doing so for reasons other than covid.

I mean, it’s related to an extent.  Ariza has presumably been fighting for some kind of custody for awhile, and a month-long arrangement in the summer, when the child is not in school, is now in conflict with the restarting NBA season when it otherwise would not have been.

With a shorter offseason, Bertans and the Wizards (who hope to resign him) both have reason to not risk anything for 8 games that aren’t likely to matter, and the risk has become elevated due to the unusual circumstances.

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 05:36:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I don't have much of an opinion on the Wizards but why should he risk illness or injury? I was listening to a pod that talked about his decision and they said the Wizards need to go 6-2 in the "regular season" games to get into the play in, then win 2 in a row against Memphis to get the 8 seed to play the Bucks.  Why would he risk what is likely the biggest payday he will see in his career to injury or potential his life due to Covid for that?  Not to mention that Covid isn't the flu and there can be long term side affects after "recovery."

I think with the Covid numbers getting as bad as they are in FL right now I'm not sure the NBA can moved forward with their plan.  Especially if more players make logical decisions like this.

I don’t think it’s right.  Do we now give every creations the option of sitting out the last 10 games of the season and playoffs? Because this has nothing to do with Covid
1. why don't you think this is "right"?

2. please define "right" in this context.

3. why should people be compelled to work a job they don't feel safe doing? if he isn't paid for not playing, i am fine with that. but to compel other human beings to perform for our entertainment seems a bit over board.

4. please prove this has nothing to do with COVID-19, and, why that matters.

thank you.

He’s under contract.

That contract is subject to collective bargaining terms and the Association and the Players have apparently negotiated the option to opt-out of a return.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 06:24:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't have much of an opinion on the Wizards but why should he risk illness or injury? I was listening to a pod that talked about his decision and they said the Wizards need to go 6-2 in the "regular season" games to get into the play in, then win 2 in a row against Memphis to get the 8 seed to play the Bucks.  Why would he risk what is likely the biggest payday he will see in his career to injury or potential his life due to Covid for that?  Not to mention that Covid isn't the flu and there can be long term side affects after "recovery."

I think with the Covid numbers getting as bad as they are in FL right now I'm not sure the NBA can moved forward with their plan.  Especially if more players make logical decisions like this.

I don’t think it’s right.  Do we now give every creations the option of sitting out the last 10 games of the season and playoffs? Because this has nothing to do with Covid

3. why should people be compelled to work a job they don't feel safe doing? if he isn't paid for not playing, i am fine with that. but to compel other human beings to perform for our entertainment seems a bit over board.

thank you.

He’s under contract.

That contract is subject to collective bargaining terms and the Association and the Players have apparently negotiated the option to opt-out of a return.

Yes, but the implicit reason was due to the coronavirus.  Bertrans’ agent made it clear that this is about economics.  I think giving up on your team to pursue your individual interests in a playoff race is wrong.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

thank you.

He’s under contract.

Yes, but the implicit reason was due to the coronavirus.  Bertrans’ agent made it clear that this is about economics.  I think giving up on your team to pursue your individual interests in a playoff race is wrong.

What "implicit reason"?  What is the actual language?

And it is not unreasonable to argue that it is due to the COVID-19 pandemic that created the situation - the heightened risk of injury in trying to come back for a short season after such a long break.

This is not a risk that FAs would be facing if not for COVID-19.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 06:32:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

thank you.

He’s under contract.

Ummm....

Playoff race?  ??? ??? ???

The Wizards are 24-40, if it wasn't for Beal, I'd imagine they'd be in the top 3 worst spot alongside GSW, and CLE. I see what you're saying, but Bertans would be foolish to risk injury + COVID-19 just to measly become first round sweep fodder for the Bucks.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 06:36:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

thank you.

He’s under contract.

Ummm....

The Wizards are 24-40, if it wasn't for Beal, I'd imagine they'd be in the top 3 worst spot alongside GSW, and CLE. I see what you're saying, but Bertans would be foolish to risk injury + COVID-19 just to measly become first round sweep fodder for the Bucks.

It’s unlikely but not impossible.  I think players should play when healthy, particularly when there is something to play for. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

thank you.

He’s under contract.

And it is not unreasonable to argue that it is due to the COVID-19 pandemic that created the situation - the heightened risk of injury in trying to come back for a short season after such a long break.

What evidence is there that players are more at risk for career altering injury in July than in April? 

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 06:45:30 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

thank you.

He’s under contract.

What evidence is there that players are more at risk for career altering injury in July than in April?

No one is saying the month somehow alters the likelihood of injury (and I think you know that). But having a long layoff in the middle of the season and then coming back to high intensity play (which the fight for playoff seeding/the playoffs themselves will be) absolutely can.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 06:51:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

thank you.

He’s under contract.

No one is saying the month somehow alters the likelihood of injury (and I think you know that). But having a long layoff in the middle of the season and then coming back to high intensity play (which the fight for playoff seeding/the playoffs themselves will be) absolutely can.

Where’s the evidence that playing 8 games after a lay-off is more dangerous than 8 games in April?

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2020, 06:51:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

thank you.

He’s under contract.

Ummm....

It’s unlikely but not impossible.  I think players should play when healthy, particularly when there is something to play for.

Eh, to each their own.

I personally wouldn't play to be honest either.

So you're telling me, you want to play in Orlando, (which has one of the highest COVID-19 cases in US) all because LeBron wants to get his ring huh? Cases are rising at an alarming rate, but sure let's talk about playing basketball, because we're so bored of staying inside and quarantining.  ;)

I get that their playing in a bubble with punishable guidelines, but you really think grown men playing professional sports will not go out and 'party,' once in a while or to celebrate a win?

To be honest, people getting upset at players not playing sounds sort of ridiculous to me. I get that you're under contract, but certain situations like a pandemic should at least give some leeway behind their reasoning on not playing.

The NBA only cares about money, and not the players. I get that we're all tired of staying inside, but as far as I'm concerned if I'm Bertans I'm 100% sitting out. I can't fault him for wanting to stay healthy, avoid injury, and basically be guaranteed that nice pay day, considering the Wizards also support his decision and intend on re-signing him next year.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different