Author Topic: During nba player call, kyrie was big voice. “Asked All mundane questions”  (Read 10858 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
but we have to remember the "i can't breathe" warmups and activity surrounding Trayvon Martin didn't actually results in any policy changes

This is a tough one, even with these protests there's not really a specific policy to change. It's not like there's a "black lives don't matter" policy that needs to be repealed.  It's more of a collective idea that needs to be continually pushed forward, something that the I can't breathe t-shirts probably helped with.

Daniel Pantaleo (Eric Garner choke hold) fired.
Amber Guyger (shot black man in own apartment), convicted of murder.
Aaron Dean (shot black women through window while she was in her home playing video games), charged with murder.
Derek Chauvin (George Floyd), charged with murder.

I would argue all the small protests over the years, the I can't breath shirts, the Colin Kaepernick protest, etc. all helped push us here and contributed to those officers being fired/charged with murder.  All those small protests beforehand helped raise public awareness.

If the NBA plans to sit out, I think they'd need specific, accomplishable goals.  "We won't play until qualified immunity is repealed" something  like that.  Still think they could do more good by playing, and doubt protests will still be going on in August (so NBA will no longer be distracting people from the issues), but that's just my own guess.

In 1968, Kareem boycotted the Olympics.  John Carlos and Tommie Smith played.  I think Carlos and Smith's actions did more to further the cause then Kareem's boycott.  Unfortunately it was a long slow process though, and at the time it probably seemed like they accomplished little.

It is pretty hard to argue that the protests right now are not resulting in policy changes (I could put in 50 more of these from around the country, but here is just a random selection). This did not happen at anything close to this scale surrounding Trayvon martin or Eric Garner. These protests have also been much larger and ongoing and are credited pretty universally with impacting these changes. Whether these changes ultimately are significant is another topic, but we can't argue they haven't been more significant than the I can't breathe and NBA actions a few years back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/us/rayshard-brooks-keisha-bottoms-atlanta.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/11/police-reform-minnesota-walz/
https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/chokeholds-banned-swat-to-use-bodycams-under-new-denver-police-policies/73-2dd3fc4a-71b9-4d50-8a50-399cbeb51070
https://mynorthwest.com/1949864/seattle-councilmember-chokehold-gig-payment/

I guess I was thinking about bigger policies, not the low hanging fruit of banning choke holds (not trying to dismiss those though as if they are unimportant, but NYC had already banned it since '93, that low hanging fruit wasn't available to them when the Garner situation happened, also I think of those as more of a facade than real policy change). But the Garner situation still led to policy change, whose to say the NBA didn't help?

After Garner’s death, the police department required all 36,000 officers to undergo three days of training, including classes focused on de-escalation. Last year, it began training officers on fair and impartial policing, teaching them to recognize biases and rely on facts, not racial stereotypes.

In March, it finished outfitting all patrol officers with body cameras. And the department now requires officers to detail the actions they took each time they used force — not just when they fired their gun.

Following a court ruling and a policy shift, the city dramatically reduced officers’ use of stop and frisk, a practice in which officers stop people on the streets and search them for weapons. In 2011, the NYPD reported 685,724 such stops. Last year, there were about 11,000.

“That has led to hundreds of thousands of fewer police-civilian encounters, each of which has the potential to escalate into something like what happened to Eric Garner,” said Christopher Dunn, a lawyer with the New York Civil Liberties Union.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said his priority for the department is to ensure something like Garner’s death never happens again.

“The NYPD of today is a different institution than it was just a few years ago,” de Blasio said Monday after the department fired Pantaleo.

Trayvon Martiin led to the creation of BLM.  Don't forget George Zimmerman wasn't even arrested at first.  But the NBA players used their platform, and George Zimmerman had to have has day in court.

LeBron tweeted about Ahmaud Arbery (which I believe helped give that story traction), the national traction led to the arrests of those involved.

Unfortunately, greater social justice is all about baby steps.  Any change that's happening now isn't happening because of George Floyd, it's happening because of years of protests culminating with George being the tipping point.

Maybe I'm discrediting the current policy change too much, but don't discredit all the years of previous efforts that helped get us here.

Still think the world is better served with NBA players using their platform for good.  Use the Disney situation to speak out and push the message out there even more.

I really think you are a lot. Someone like Daniel Kreps has talked how their are actually significant policy changes happening right now around the country because of these protests. While him, and many others active in BLM and social justice as a whole refer to the previous wave as more of a period of education. I don't really have the inclination to get deep into the weeds on all the policy changes happening around the country, but it is certainly more than just low hanging fruit like chokeholds. Many of these policies are being implemented or considered for implementation around the country:

https://8cantwait.org/

They are very significant and do make a real difference. I really don't think it can be argued we are seeing more significant changes like this (to say nothing of donations) than we did around the previous wave the NBA was involved with. How much of this difference is because people are more willing to go out for daily and nightly protests when there are not the distractions of bars, concerts, sports and other gatherings? It is tough to say, but I trust it is a significant factor given that all of the social and racial justice advocates I have listened to in the last few weeks have mentioned it or alluded to it when speaking on the subject.

I think you make good points about the efforts during the olympics and that there is a possibility of significant impact and good from playing, i am just making the point that it is not black and white and there are probably downsides and upsides to both playing and not playing with respect to the movement.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Kendrick Perkins has been all yap for a guy who was just barely mediocre as a starting center with the Celtics. Calling LeBron the most athletic player in NBA history. I'm glad Bill Russell chimed in and put him in check. Perkins needs to stop riding on LeBron's jockstrap.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Apparently Kyrie wants to start his own league.

https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/status/1273027240406798337
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

When Kyrie says some of the dumbest things, such as these, do you think it hurts him physically?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

You go do that, Kyrie.  How about you come out with the infrastructure too?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

You go do that, Kyrie.  How about you come out with the infrastructure too?

Or even just show up to play consistently. That'd be an improvement.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kendrick Perkins has been all yap for a guy who was just barely mediocre as a starting center with the Celtics. Calling LeBron the most athletic player in NBA history. I'm glad Bill Russell chimed in and put him in check. Perkins needs to stop riding on LeBron's jockstrap.

Perk has done nothing but continually embarrass himself since becoming a 'media personality'.  I'm not sure why he needs to start drama with all these current players and inject himself into situations.  It's like he's desperate to stay relevant or something.  It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Perk has done nothing but continually embarrass himself since becoming a 'media personality'.  I'm not sure why he needs to start drama with all these current players and inject himself into situations.  It's like he's desperate to stay relevant or something.  It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Russell absolutely body bagged Perk on Twitter last night.  It was pretty awesome.

It's really something to see an 86 year old emasculate someone on social media.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Russell absolutely body bagged Perk on Twitter last night.  It was pretty awesome.

It's great that Bill himself got on there and reminded the young generation what a dominant, super-athletic unique player he was. People seem to picture all NBA players back then as stiff, slow, unskilled and unathletic. Russell and Wilt were two of the most athletic players the NBA has ever seen, and that includes the modern NBA.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I gotta say, it would be hilarious if half of Lebron's team sits out during the playoffs after Lebron lead the push to restart the season.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I’m no expert but I think socially, restarting the NBA could have a negative impact. It took a global pandemic, a shutdown of the economy, no sports, etc to get people to actively participate in social reform. When there was absolutely nothing else to talk about or distract, it put a huge spotlight on a glaring weakness in society.
- LilRip

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It's great that Bill himself got on there and reminded the young generation what a dominant, super-athletic unique player he was. People seem to picture all NBA players back then as stiff, slow, unskilled and unathletic. Russell and Wilt were two of the most athletic players the NBA has ever seen, and that includes the modern NBA.
Yeah, and doing all that in those darn Converse sneakers. Not to mention the leaps in training and nutrition that have been made since then. Those two (and certainly other old time players) are as athletic as anyone going around.

I really don’t get the need for so many pro sports to disrespect those who came before them. Basketball is, in my eye, by far the worst when it comes to this. Every day I see “fans” calling everyone who played before the 90s “plumbers”, and even some using that term for 90s players to try and discredit Jordan. It’s really weird.
Sports like boxing seem to have gotten that aspect right.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Yeah, and doing all that in those darn Converse sneakers. Not to mention the leaps in training and nutrition that have been made since then. Those two (and certainly other old time players) are as athletic as anyone going around.

I really don’t get the need for so many pro sports to disrespect those who came before them. Basketball is, in my eye, by far the worst when it comes to this. Every day I see “fans” calling everyone who played before the 90s “plumbers”, and even some using that term for 90s players to try and discredit Jordan. It’s really weird.
Sports like boxing seem to have gotten that aspect right.

Young people like to think their generation is the best ever. When they get older and realize it, the next generation is already doing the same thing. Current players also seem to forget that they wouldn't be here making so much money right now if it wasn't for guys that came before them and made the league famous. Guys like Bill Russell did not make a lot of money, were never pampered by the refs and the league for 'marketing' purposes, and also battled to break racism barriers. Today's pro athletes should thank those guys everyday for what they built for them.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Can't they both be correct.  I mean Lebron may very well be the most athletic player in NBA history, but it doesn't mean Bill (or Wilt) were slouches.  It isn't like Perkins said all players today were more athletic than all players in the past.  Claiming that a guy most people think is one of the 3 greatest players ever, who also happens to be one of the most physically gifted players ever, etc. is the most athletic player ever isn't exactly a stretch or a slight to those that came before him.  I personally still think Wilt is the most gifted athlete to play in the NBA, but I really don't have an issue if someone said it was Bill or Lebron.  Maybe you have someone like Wilkins or Westbrook up there as just pure athletic specimens, but the latter two aren't anywhere near the players the former 3 were, so I think that may eliminate them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Can't they both be correct.  I mean Lebron may very well be the most athletic player in NBA history, but it doesn't mean Bill (or Wilt) were slouches.  It isn't like Perkins said all players today were more athletic than all players in the past.  Claiming that a guy most people think is one of the 3 greatest players ever, who also happens to be one of the most physically gifted players ever, etc. is the most athletic player ever isn't exactly a stretch or a slight to those that came before him.  I personally still think Wilt is the most gifted athlete to play in the NBA, but I really don't have an issue if someone said it was Bill or Lebron.  Maybe you have someone like Wilkins or Westbrook up there as just pure athletic specimens, but the latter two aren't anywhere near the players the former 3 were, so I think that may eliminate them.

Sure, but that's not what most people say. Most arguments are along the lines of the NBA players back in XXXX where unathletic, unskilled pizza deliver guys and plumbers and guys like Wilt and Russell only looked great in comparison to them, which is completely false. Wilt and Russell would dominate the modern NBA. So would Bird and Magic, so would Michael Jordan.