Author Topic: During nba player call, kyrie was big voice. “Asked All mundane questions”  (Read 10854 times)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://sports.yahoo.com/lost-in-the-nb-as-latest-returntoplay-drama-kyrie-is-right-150922568.html

In any event, it’s not too late for players to speak up about whatever it is that bothers them about a return to play. In fact, this is their allotted time. The logistics of the bubble, its malleability and the players’ maneuverability were always next on the docket. Irving is not some interloper sneaking into the proceedings to wreak havoc before the die is cast. He’s an NBPA vice president, making an effort to hear the concerns of those he is trying to represent.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://sports.yahoo.com/lost-in-the-nb-as-latest-returntoplay-drama-kyrie-is-right-150922568.html

In any event, it’s not too late for players to speak up about whatever it is that bothers them about a return to play. In fact, this is their allotted time. The logistics of the bubble, its malleability and the players’ maneuverability were always next on the docket. Irving is not some interloper sneaking into the proceedings to wreak havoc before the die is cast. He’s an NBPA vice president, making an effort to hear the concerns of those he is trying to represent.
Yeah, no, Kyrie is not, nor will ever genuinely do something for someone else
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
It sounds like several Lakers, including Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley, are against playing this season for the same reasons:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29311351/lakers-players-say-there-figure-things-ahead-restart

I wonder what Rondo's thoughts are on this. I can imagine Lebron must be conflicted, with wanting to salvage his chance at a title this season vs his strong support for the current movement.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I do not think the NBA should return this season as much as I would like them to play without fans in the stand just to show how important the fans are to the overall experience.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It sounds like several Lakers, including Dwight Howard and Avery Bradley, are against playing this season for the same reasons:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29311351/lakers-players-say-there-figure-things-ahead-restart

I wonder what Rondo's thoughts are on this. I can imagine Lebron must be conflicted, with wanting to salvage his chance at a title this season vs his strong support for the current movement.

If it’s about BLM, they will have a greater platform with a return to play.  Also, they will be compensated for whatever games are left, versus if the season was canceled. Take whatever that salary is and donate it to social justice.

Just sitting at home doesn’t honor or help anybody.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

If it’s about BLM, they will have a greater platform with a return to play.  Also, they will be compensated for whatever games are left, versus if the season was canceled. Take whatever that salary is and donate it to social justice.

Just sitting at home doesn’t honor or help anybody.

If the players really pushed for it, I would think they could get the NBA to incorporate a lot of BLM stuff into the games.

Broadcast a moment of silence before each game.  Black stripes on the jerseys or BLM special edition jerseys.  BLM warmups.  Letting players kneel.  BLM halftime featurettes.  Make the NBA Cares commercials (do they still do those?) BLM focused.  Color the basketballs all black (or would that mess with court vision?).

On top of all that, there could be a ton of new available opportunities with all the games at Disney.

The stands where fans would normally sit could be plastered with BLM messages/facts/memorials.  All the broadcast time that used to be spent showing the crowd, cheerleaders, mascots, etc. can be replaced with BLM messages (even if that's only a few seconds here or there).

The courts that are normally filled with the home team name, logo, signage can be replaced with BLM stuff (if Disney hasn't already sold all that space).

If they don't do end of quarter coaches interview due to Covid concerns, they could be replaced with a BLM message.  If they still do halftime and post game player interviews (or still do coaches interview), the players/coaches can start or end their interview with something like "I just want to remind everyone out there that black lives matter." 

If some of the 8 regular season games are still done with their regional broadcast format, then things like the Celtics Heroes Among Us can all be BLM focused.

Just spit balling ideas here (some may be feasible others not so much), but I think there would be a lot of opportunity for the players to really drive home the message, especially if the NBA, Disney, and broadcast partners cooperate.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
According to Pat Beverly it's basically Lebron's call to restart the season:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2896152-patrick-beverley-if-lebron-wants-nba-to-resume-season-then-everyone-will-play?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

https://twitter.com/patbev21/status/1272254786268618752

If it's LeBron calling the shot then screw him. Ain't watching no league being run by LeBron lol.

Lebron wants his title, he aint getting any younger, lol.

That's why I say if anyone other than the Lakers win it this year, no asterisk. If Lebron wins it, big asterisk.

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Players need to realize they need to play in order to be relevant and have a platform.

There's only a handful of players with "names" or endeavors outside of their professional sports that have any public reach.

No play.

No leverage.

No voice.

It's actually a really historic time we are in.

We're going to see a lot of change in the fabric of life.

From entertainment, to rental properties, to law enforcement, to health care.....the demands/needs will go any number of ways.

I pray for this country.

I pray for humanity as a whole.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
with 40 million people unemployed and most of those who aren't taking paycuts and most of the country now being sent back to work, its pretty tone deaf for millionaires to refuse to play while they collect their millions of dollars. Even if it has nothing to do with Covid-19 it will send the wrong message.

Not sure how sitting at home is going to further any cause. If anything it will bring it more into the spotlight by playing.

But sitting at home just like the MLB is just going to make people view many players as spoiled and entitled.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Just like to point out, but Florida has been reporting really strong increases in COVID recently and every day it seems like they are now setting records with the number of cases they get positive.

So is the NBA sure they can pull through with this? Still over 7 weeks away but if this continues in FL then how exactly is putting everyone "in a bubble" in Orlando going to work? I have my doubts.

Not trying to take sides here on returning vs. no returning, but what are others' thoughts on this?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just like to point out, but Florida has been reporting really strong increases in COVID recently and every day it seems like they are now setting records with the number of cases they get positive.

So is the NBA sure they can pull through with this? Still over 7 weeks away but if this continues in FL then how exactly is putting everyone "in a bubble" in Orlando going to work? I have my doubts.

Not trying to take sides here on returning vs. no returning, but what are others' thoughts on this?

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing.  I said it in at least one other thread, but it's not just about the "bubble".  Maybe (and that's a big maybe) you could keep the NBA players from being exposed to the disease so long as you've got a tight enough bubble, but if the general health situation gets out of control in Orlando, will hospitals have room to examine a player who gets a concussion?  A torn ligament or broken bone?  Is it safe to the players and the community to either send the players to an overrun hospital, or make an arrangement with a hospital to shift resources from Covid-19 to treating injured NBA players?  The Florida government can bury its head in the sand and/or hide statistics all they want, but if a region's medical system is overrun, it's overrun, no two ways about it.  Several hundred high performance athletes playing a contact sport can only increase the burden.