Author Topic: During nba player call, kyrie was big voice. “Asked All mundane questions”  (Read 10836 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I can understand the concerns some players may have about coming back, but, the league and the players association already voted and approved the restart.

Sure you can't force people to go back to work and take risks, but at the same time, you can't expect to be paid for sitting at home forever either. I don't have much pity for rich athletes who want to keep getting paid millions for not working while the vast majority of US citizens across races, sex and age have been back to work for weeks now. If some players want to sit out, great, but they shouldn't be paid.

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Not sure why he is encouraging other "players" to not participate in resuming the season. He's not even fit to play. His opinion should not matter that relates to the rest of the basketball season. Shut your mouth Kryrie and let the healthy players have their say.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29304500/sources-kyrie-irving-play-key-role-friday-call-players

When the National Basketball Players Association conducted a conference call and vote on restarting the season a week ago, Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving was an active participant -- although his questions were of a mundane nature.

Sources say Irving asked, as an injured player, if he would count among the Nets' allotted 35 people should he want to join the Orlando bubble. Could he sit in the stands to cheer on his teammates? Use a sauna for his rehab?

He had a question about NBA sponsors on campus, and whether they would be supplying players with products. A union official asked him for an example, and Irving mentioned a popular adult beverage -- before insisting that he had indeed simply shared an example; and wondered what food might be provided to players under league partnerships.

All in all, his inquiries weren't of weighty consequence.

Based on 2018, I think this is something he needs to ask himself, not the league.

Hahahaha dont be bitter, Jim. TP!!

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
He’s a narcissist.  He’s great at basketball, so he thinks people — including his peers — should listen to him regarding other things.

exactly... there are a lot of people like that. They believe excellence in one area makes them authorities on every subject.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
don't know about the voice

i ll agree with big head

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
"I don't support going to Orlando," Irving said on the call, according to The Athletic. "I'm not with the systematic racism and the bulls---."

Austin Rivers responded to that saying  he was "trying to find the correlation," punctuating that thought with the shrug emoji.
 :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
"I don't support going to Orlando," Irving said on the call, according to The Athletic. "I'm not with the systematic racism and the bulls---."

Austin Rivers responded to that saying  he was "trying to find the correlation," punctuating that thought with the shrug emoji.

lol that another Dukie called him out...Austin Rivers probably knows that Kyrie is a fake intellectual.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
If this was coming from Jaylen, or Lebron, or most other NBA players, I would see it differently. Coming from Kyrie though, it falls 'flat'. Pun intended.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I remember when I was run off this site for criticizing Kyrie.  I never received an apology, but it's nice to see than many contributors have come around.
Unfortunately, it's also clear that some chose defending Kyrie as their hill to die on.  :laugh:

Nice to see he's graduated to race-hustling, though.  While there's no basis in reality, I expected nothing less from the disingenuous and petulant twit.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He’s a narcissist.  He’s great at basketball, so he thinks people — including his peers — should listen to him regarding other things.

exactly... there are a lot of people like that. They believe excellence in one area makes them authorities on every subject.

many many are movie stars

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I was going to post in length, why I think Kyrie is being ridiculous.

But Austin Rivers literally said it the best:

“I love Kyrie’s passion towards helping this movement. It’s admirable and inspiring. I’m with it,” Rivers wrote. “But in the right way and not at the cost of the whole NBA and players careers.

“We can do both. We can play and we can help change the way black lives are lived. I think we have too! But canceling or boycotting return doesn’t do that in my opinion. Guys want to play and provide and help change!”

Also, I guarantee if the Nets were a top seed in the East, he wouldn't be spouting this non-sense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Simple...no play, no pay... if u want to sit out, fine, but u won’t get any money
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

lol that another Dukie called him out...Austin Rivers probably knows that Kyrie is a fake intellectual.

I was working in Orange County Public schools while Austin was still in high school and I had him in my class a few times at Winter Park HS (he was a good kid for being such a 'superstar' at the time). I suppose Kyrie is trying to equate Orlando to systemic racism, but that couldn't be further from the truth. There was the Trayvon Martin situation, but that is certainly not the norm and Sanford is like 50 miles from Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports. Kyrie seems to be reaching here and Austin is rightfully calling him out on it.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm a little confused. Kyrie isn't even returning this season, right? Then why the hell does it matter what he thinks. Just tell him to not show up, simple as that. Tell him to stay home.

Yeah, I'm sure other players (who are healthy) might have reasons for feeling cautious about returning and that's perfectly fair. Dwight Howard admitted himself he prefer there be no return to basketball this summer. But Kyrie's reasons sound BS, and just something he's saying to be in the spotlight again.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I'm a little confused. Kyrie isn't even returning this season, right? Then why the hell does it matter what he thinks. Just tell him to not show up, simple as that. Tell him to stay home.

Yeah, I'm sure other players (who are healthy) might have reasons for feeling cautious about returning and that's perfectly fair. Dwight Howard admitted himself he prefer there be no return to basketball this summer. But Kyrie's reasons sound BS, and just something he's saying to be in the spotlight again.

To me it comes off as Kyrie saying well I can't play I have nothing to gain from this so let me ruin it for everyone else and maybe get some attention out of it. Lots of guys already openly stated they want to play.