Author Topic: During nba player call, kyrie was big voice. “Asked All mundane questions”  (Read 10837 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29304500/sources-kyrie-irving-play-key-role-friday-call-players

When the National Basketball Players Association conducted a conference call and vote on restarting the season a week ago, Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving was an active participant -- although his questions were of a mundane nature.

Sources say Irving asked, as an injured player, if he would count among the Nets' allotted 35 people should he want to join the Orlando bubble. Could he sit in the stands to cheer on his teammates? Use a sauna for his rehab?

He had a question about NBA sponsors on campus, and whether they would be supplying players with products. A union official asked him for an example, and Irving mentioned a popular adult beverage -- before insisting that he had indeed simply shared an example; and wondered what food might be provided to players under league partnerships.

All in all, his inquiries weren't of weighty consequence.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I really don't miss him.  Just a strange odd person. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
what do you expect from a flat earther  :P

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
lol the fake intellectual I am sure he was mundane.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Apparently he was also against the whole Orlando thing, citing something or other being fishy about it all while the racial injustice issue is at the forefront of everyone’s mind.

Not emulating LBJ on this one hey ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
There are no dumb questions. Sounds like quality of life in the bubble questions. Wouldn't frame them as mundane. They should be asking as much as possible.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Who?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29304500/sources-kyrie-irving-play-key-role-friday-call-players

When the National Basketball Players Association conducted a conference call and vote on restarting the season a week ago, Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving was an active participant -- although his questions were of a mundane nature.

Sources say Irving asked, as an injured player, if he would count among the Nets' allotted 35 people should he want to join the Orlando bubble. Could he sit in the stands to cheer on his teammates? Use a sauna for his rehab?

He had a question about NBA sponsors on campus, and whether they would be supplying players with products. A union official asked him for an example, and Irving mentioned a popular adult beverage -- before insisting that he had indeed simply shared an example; and wondered what food might be provided to players under league partnerships.

All in all, his inquiries weren't of weighty consequence.

Based on 2018, I think this is something he needs to ask himself, not the league.
I'm bitter.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There are no dumb questions. Sounds like quality of life in the bubble questions. Wouldn't frame them as mundane. They should be asking as much as possible.

Yeah, I'm no fan of Kyrie, but this he seems to be specifically targeted here because of his history of being a pseudo-intellectual odd-ball. I think people generally know the logistics of what is going to happen when the league restarts in Orlando, but asking lifestyle questions doesn't seem out of line. Also, his question about whether he counts as a member of the Nets 35 allotted people and what he would be allowed to do is totally legitimate.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Normally I would respect a player's right to question the appropriateness of continuing the season in the wake of the George Floyd inspired protests, but in Kyrie's case, I am skeptical his position is altruistic rather than expedient (if I can't play, why should you?).

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Nothing but love and respect for Kyrie from me.  He's a far better human being than the people who speak ill of him.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He’s a narcissist.  He’s great at basketball, so he thinks people — including his peers — should listen to him regarding other things.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Of course they guy who isn't going to play anyway is against the league restarting. Pretty much all the rest of the US is back to work by now, if pro athletes still want to get paid they should expect to work as well.

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Apparently he was also against the whole Orlando thing, citing something or other being fishy about it all while the racial injustice issue is at the forefront of everyone’s mind.

Not emulating LBJ on this one hey ;D

I was going to say, according to MassLive his questions were anything but mundane:

“I don’t support going into Orlando," Irving told the players, according to Charania. “I’m not with the systematic racism and the bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. … Something smells a little fishy. Whether we want to admit it or not, we are targeted as black men every day we wake up.”

Irving went onto tell the group he was “willing to give up everything (for social reform)," according to Charania.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/06/kyrie-irving-asks-players-to-reconsider-accepting-nbas-orlando-return-plan-im-willing-to-give-up-everything-i-have-for-social-reform-reports.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Normally I would respect a player's right to question the appropriateness of continuing the season in the wake of the George Floyd inspired protests, but in Kyrie's case, I am skeptical his position is altruistic rather than expedient (if I can't play, why should you?).

This is the first thing I thought too.

Yeah, I'm no fan of Kyrie, but this he seems to be specifically targeted here because of his history of being a pseudo-intellectual odd-ball. I think people generally know the logistics of what is going to happen when the league restarts in Orlando, but asking lifestyle questions doesn't seem out of line. Also, his question about whether he counts as a member of the Nets 35 allotted people and what he would be allowed to do is totally legitimate.

I think some people are taking the mundane questions the wrong way.  The way I interpret the article, there wasn't a problem with him asking mundane questions like can we order pizza in the bubble.  It was that he only asked mundane questions and had no objections to restarting the league in the small meeting where he voted yes (along with everyone else) to restart the league. 

But then in a much larger meeting with many more players present, he suddenly becomes socially conscious and now is trying to get the players to sit out.

In a small group, he had no issues, was only concerned about superficial issues, and voted yes to restart the league.  Later, in front of a much larger audience he acted all high and mighty acted opposed to restarting the league (even though he voted yes to restart it).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class