Author Topic: Vince Carter's retirement is now official  (Read 1901 times)

Vince Carter's retirement is now official
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:30:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
With Atlanta not invited to the resumption of the season, Vince Carter's career has come to an end after 20 years. One of the few (maybe the only?) players still playing this season who played against Michael Jordan (though it was the Washington Jordan at that point, not the Chicago Jordan). I remember when he entered the league right after Jordan retired after his 2nd 3 peat as one of the possible heir apparents to His Airness, along with Kobe Bryant. Amazing to still see him playing 20 years later, his role substantially changed but he had the humility to accept it and try to be a mentor to the younger guys, some of whom (like Trae) like weren't born, let alone in the league when he made his debut in 1998.

Well played Vince. All the best in retirement.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Vince Carter's retirement is now official
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 01:05:58 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
That split in 2005 between Toronto and New Jersey.  Shows either how much Carter was dogging it in Toronto or the magic of playing with Jason Kidd (or both).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 05:02:52 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
I can't imagine anyone around at the time imagining that Half-Man Half-Amazing would be the only member of his draft class to play into his 40's. Cudos to Vince for a successful reinvention.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 05:15:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Rarely did someone captured my attention as Carter did in my teens.
It was like "What is he going to do this game"?
He put Toronto on the map and was one of the rare players who had spectacular athleticism with good outside touch.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
By my count, he played 22 full seasons, not 20. No reason to rip the guy off  ;)

TP for the thread, though. It seems like just yesterday the world was watching that dunk contest in amazement. And he was so much more than just dunking.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Think he was the last player remaining who was actually playing in the NBA when I was still in high school.

:'(

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Think he was the last player remaining who was actually playing in the NBA when I was still in high school.

:'(
made me feel really old -- when I left high school, the C's still only had 14 titles   :'(

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 10:41:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Played against Jordan and was teammates with Hakeem!

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The 2000 USA-Spain Gold medal game was on last night, and I was able to catch the fourth quarter. As I was watching the game and seeing Vince Carter, I started laughing as I realized he would play for another 20 years in the NBA. Much respect for Vince Carter, who from afar, seemed to be a total gentleman and did everything the right way. Oh, and BTW, he remains the greatest dunker in the games history. His combination of explosiveness and power were unmatched.

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Played against Jordan and was teammates with Hakeem!

Probably a very long list of father/son combos he played with/against too.

Looked it up, actually thought it would be longer.  Guess I thought there was more of an influx of players whose fathers played in the late 90's/early 00's.  Wonder how this compares to Parish, Willis, KG, Kobe, Dirk, Kareem, Kobe, etc. and if they could top this.

Del Curry/Steph and Seth Curry
Harvey Grant/Jerian and Jerami Grant
Glen Rice/Glen Rice Jr - played in the same game, but weren't on the court at the same time.
Gary Payton/Gary Payton II
Terry Davis/Ed Davis
Glenn Robinson/Glen Robinson III
Jaren Jackson/Jaren Jackson Jr
Tim Hardaway/Tim Hardaway Jr
Patrick Ewing/Patrick Ewing Jr - only19 total NBA minutes for Jr, but 1 of them was spent on the court the same time as Vince!
Rick Brunson/Jalen Brunson
Gary Trent/Gary Trent Jr
Arvydas Sabonis/Domantas Sabonis

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I respect Vince for changing his game as he got older and could no longer rely on sheer athleticism. And he sure was fun to watch when he had springs in his legs. Enjoy retirement, Vince—you earned it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Vince completely remade his reputation in his later years.  He probably would have gone down as just another talented but over-hyped underachiever had he not hung around so long and become a solid team player and mentor for the younger generation of players.