Poll

What player most played above the level of their stats?

Wes Unseld
2 (6.5%)
Dave Cowens
4 (12.9%)
Dennis Rodman
1 (3.2%)
Ben Wallace
1 (3.2%)
Rasheed Wallace
0 (0%)
Draymond Green
1 (3.2%)
Danny Ainge
0 (0%)
Al Horford
1 (3.2%)
Robert Horry
0 (0%)
Many Ginobili
6 (19.4%)
Bill Russell
12 (38.7%)
Tim Duncan
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Which player in NBA history played at the highest level over his stats?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Manu was better than Duncan.  I've now heard everything.
Not sure where did you get this conclusion, but thanks for your slash line input :laugh:
Probably inferred it from DWC's comments about Manu oft being the best guy on the court and the one about potentially picking Manu over guys like LBJ
Oh lol. Well NBA basketball is not about pickup games so I don't understand the vitriol directed at the comment.
Oh yeah, no doubt. Wouldn't even be close to the most out-there take I've seen here
Ikr lol. Plenty of hot takes in here on this forum, including some from me that are even more out there.

Certain posters have schticks that become pretty predictable after awhile.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Manu was better than Duncan.  I've now heard everything.
Not sure where did you get this conclusion, but thanks for your slash line input :laugh:
Probably inferred it from DWC's comments about Manu oft being the best guy on the court and the one about potentially picking Manu over guys like LBJ
That is exactly what prompted my statement.  On no planet was Manu better than Duncan (and I'm not talking about random games here and there, just in general), so if Manu was consistently the best player on the court it was only in those moments when he wasn't on the court with Duncan (or opposing players like Lebron, Kobe, etc.). I mean that is a pretty hot take, even for this board. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to Nick for basketball post.

Both Russell (IMO - GOAT) and Cowens (favorite of my era) were able to carry their teams without pouring on points (all the time) or other measurables.

Opposing centers did not want to play against Russell because he simply played to hard. He wanted it more. Some modern commentators suggest Russell wouldn't be that "good" in today's NBA. He destroyed everybody he played against. He wasn't just a physical specimen, he was brilliant. Russell would adjust and outplay
these modern centers.

"Russell, in an autobiographical account, notes while on a California High School All-Stars tour, he became obsessed with studying and memorizing other players' moves (e.g., footwork such as which foot they moved first on which play) as preparation for defending against them, which included practicing in front of a mirror at night. Russell further described himself as an avid reader of Dell Magazines' 1950s sports publications, which he used to scout opponents' moves for the purpose of defending against them..." (wiki)

Dave Cowens

"No one is going to tell that kid he can't play center," Russell said of Cowens. (wiki)

Cowens would play 40 minutes and punish his man. Opposing guys just give up.  Cowens still holds the record for most rebounds at Florida State. Ok, this is a "stat" but, honestly he got the rebound because he wanted it more and his opponent would fight, but, not die for the ball.

I'm sure there are players on Nick's list that "fit the bill" better than these two players, but the two of them illustrate the Celtic's cornerstone of hard play. You can't coach a guy to fight, he has to have it in him...Red Auerbach knew what he was doing.