Author Topic: Hypothetical Rebuilding Trade  (Read 11569 times)

Re: Hypothetical Rebuilding Trade
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
If you don't think the team has a chance this year, you'd be setting them up for the lottery for years to come with this trade.

Um . . . that's the whole point.

Also, J-Smith is much more than a soft jumping jack.  He's one of the best defensive bigs in the league and a terrific athlete with a large offensive repertoire. 

Many of the people responding to this thread seem to be missing the most basic yet important premise, that rebuilding around Rondo is a bad idea.  You may disagree, but that's where I'm coming from in proposing this trade (or any other trade like it).
Well if that's the point, we can surely tank better than that!!  :)

The idea is to tank while still giving us something for the future.  My belief is that Josh Smith is the kind of player that would not be able to carry the team on his own (and thus allow us to tank) while still being a very good asset either as a trading piece or a building block to put alongside a dominant wing, point guard, or center.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline 2008 + 2011 Champions

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 15
Lets Get JR Smith off the bench for now to go with Green and possibly howard in a year? :-*. Natural way to ease the load of the big 3

Could this actually work though? Maybe instead of Howard someone like Nene to go with Monta Ellis or JR Smith?

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 11:19:09 PM »

Offline Celticsfan336

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 44
I actually think the Hawks have a strong base.  Hinrich gives that teams something it lacked last year.  Additionally Collins is much improved.  If they can get by the Magic, I think they could beat the Bulls.  They have a well constructed team at the moment.

I actually don't care if Atlanta doesn't do the trade.  Because I don't think the trade improves the Celtics either.  Getting smaller does not help this current Celtics squad.  Josh Smith is 6'9 240 lbs.  He does not address the Celtics need to get bigger and obtain a true 5.  The geriatric trio of O'Neal, O'Neal and a white guy named Kristic are NOT the answer at the 5 position. 

Until the Celtics address that need, I don't see how they match up with teams like the Magic, the Lakers, or even the Bulls.  And don't tell me your memory is so short you forgot how an undersized Boozer dominated a soft Celtics middle the minute KG took a breather on the bench?

If you actually read the original and subsequent posts, you'll see that the point of this trade is not to make the Celtics better in the short term.

It doesn't make the Celtics better period.  Dumping Rondo, a salary controled player, doesn't afford the Celtics enough salary relief that would allow them sign a max contract free agent in 2012 ie Dwight Howard.  In fact Josh Smith's contract doesn't expire until 2013. Nor do the Celtics get bigger in size after this trade which is their true need if they want to get anywhere deep in the playoffs. 

Thinking of ways to make the team worse is easy.  Trading for the sake of trading is not the way to go, especially when you are losing a valuable asset that creates another hole in the process.  Again unless you think Von Wafer is the answer at PG, and I don't, then dumping Rondo for Josh Smith creates more problems than solutions.

The trade is proposed with two premises:

1) The Celtics need to look to rebuild, not contend, in the next few years.

2) The Celtics are not going to get a marquee free agent like Dwight Howard.  Marquee free agents will go places like New York / Brooklyn, Chicago, and LA.

Given those two premises, I believe this trade would put the Celtics in a better position moving forward.

Sorry, but that is the most untrue thing I have ever heard.

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
I actually think the Hawks have a strong base.  Hinrich gives that teams something it lacked last year.  Additionally Collins is much improved.  If they can get by the Magic, I think they could beat the Bulls.  They have a well constructed team at the moment.

I actually don't care if Atlanta doesn't do the trade.  Because I don't think the trade improves the Celtics either.  Getting smaller does not help this current Celtics squad.  Josh Smith is 6'9 240 lbs.  He does not address the Celtics need to get bigger and obtain a true 5.  The geriatric trio of O'Neal, O'Neal and a white guy named Kristic are NOT the answer at the 5 position. 

Until the Celtics address that need, I don't see how they match up with teams like the Magic, the Lakers, or even the Bulls.  And don't tell me your memory is so short you forgot how an undersized Boozer dominated a soft Celtics middle the minute KG took a breather on the bench?

If you actually read the original and subsequent posts, you'll see that the point of this trade is not to make the Celtics better in the short term.

It doesn't make the Celtics better period.  Dumping Rondo, a salary controled player, doesn't afford the Celtics enough salary relief that would allow them sign a max contract free agent in 2012 ie Dwight Howard.  In fact Josh Smith's contract doesn't expire until 2013. Nor do the Celtics get bigger in size after this trade which is their true need if they want to get anywhere deep in the playoffs. 

Thinking of ways to make the team worse is easy.  Trading for the sake of trading is not the way to go, especially when you are losing a valuable asset that creates another hole in the process.  Again unless you think Von Wafer is the answer at PG, and I don't, then dumping Rondo for Josh Smith creates more problems than solutions.

The trade is proposed with two premises:

1) The Celtics need to look to rebuild, not contend, in the next few years.

2) The Celtics are not going to get a marquee free agent like Dwight Howard.  Marquee free agents will go places like New York / Brooklyn, Chicago, and LA.

Given those two premises, I believe this trade would put the Celtics in a better position moving forward.

Sorry, but that is the most untrue thing I have ever heard.

Which "thing" is so untrue?  There were two premises and a couple of conclusions in that quote. 

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2011, 01:30:24 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Lets Get JR Smith off the bench for now to go with Green and possibly howard in a year? :-*. Natural way to ease the load of the big 3

Could this actually work though? Maybe instead of Howard someone like Nene to go with Monta Ellis or JR Smith?

Rondo, Monta Ellis, and Dwight Howard would be a horrid combination.  None of them is a reliable outside shooter and of the three only Monta has a free throw percentage above 70%.

- Doc Rivers