Poll

Which of these deals would you have preferred?

Perk + Nate for Green + Krstic + #1
24 (75%)
Nate + Marquis + ? + #1 for Battier
8 (25%)
Semih + Marquis for Anthony Parker
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Which of these deals would you have preferred?  (Read 6639 times)

Re: Which of these deals would you have preferred?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Battier deal.  He would have been a better Posey.

Battier is a better fit at the 3 for us than Green (for our needs), and we would've gotten to keep Perkins. I like the Battier deal more, personally.

I feel the same way.  It would have preserved (and actually improved) our defense and rebounding, while also improving our depth and shooting.  It's only adding to the team, without taking anything away.  I just see it as being less risky.

The Green / Krstic trade has higher upside, but the risk is also higher.  Of course, getting Krstic for the 3 weeks that Perk would be out has value, but I don't think that that short-term value is a big enough factor for me to prefer Krstic and Green over Perk and Battier.

There's no question that the Krstic/Green trade is better for our future, but for the short-term I prefer Perk + Battier.  Since this season could easily be our last realistic shot at a title, I'm all about maximizing the present.

But, this begs the question: If Danny Ainge planned all this out, what stopped him? I'm sure you could argue that Danny was more focused on the future (with Green + the asset that is the LAC pick, which we will never, ever make..bet your life on it; we'll trade it), but Danny Ainge is the type of man who understands that rebuilding is a wholesale process, not piecemeal, and in that regard he'd still have his chances if he made this deal for Battier to win a chip this season.

So it makes me wonder if we really understand how injured Perkins is, and if he'll ever be 'right' this season. If Danny and the medical staff understood that his injury had much longer-term ramifications (as in it would hinder him throughout this season and through the off season, and he wouldn't really be 'right' until next season), Danny's move was unquestionably the right one, because netting Krstic+Green this season is better than having a crippled Perkins and Battier, because of the unsure health of the O'Neals.

The Battier deal.  He would have been a better Posey.

Battier is a better fit at the 3 for us than Green (for our needs), and we would've gotten to keep Perkins. I like the Battier deal more, personally.

Just curious, but what do you mean by "our needs"? What is our needs that Battier gives and Green doesn't? Could we have, for example, also used Battier at the 4 at times like we can Green?

Battier brings better defense, better shooting, better passing, more rebounds from the SF position, and slightly fewer turnovers.  Those are the things that he brings that Green doesn't.

Green is more athletic and more explosive, and is younger.  Those are the things that he brings over Battier. 

Roy nailed it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The Battier deal.  He would have been a better Posey.

Just curious, but what do you mean by "our needs"? What is our needs that Battier gives and Green doesn't? Could we have, for example, also used Battier at the 4 at times like we can Green?

Battier brings better defense, better shooting, better passing, more rebounds from the SF position, and slightly fewer turnovers.  Those are the things that he brings that Green doesn't.

Green is more athletic and more explosive, and is younger.  Those are the things that he brings over Battier. 

I'd also say Green is more versatile, can be used as a 3 or a 4 and is also a better scorer.

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Yeah I like the trade we actually did. Especially with Perks injury that would have left more uncertainty for the playoffs and i think for the future gaining a a pick (instead of losing one) and picking up a young and upcoming player is huge.

This.  

I see someone's still not over the Perk trade.  I was totally shocked at first because I love Perk, but I think we are better after this trade with a piece for the future as well.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

So it makes me wonder if we really understand how injured Perkins is, and if he'll ever be 'right' this season. If Danny and the medical staff understood that his injury had much longer-term ramifications (as in it would hinder him throughout this season and through the off season, and he wouldn't really be 'right' until next season), Danny's move was unquestionably the right one, because netting Krstic+Green this season is better than having a crippled Perkins and Battier, because of the unsure health of the O'Neals.

I don't think OKC would have made the deal if Perk did not check out physically, and they certainly wouldn't have signed him to that deal if there was any indication at all that he was not going to fully recover.

Frankly, I just don't think Danny was a Perk fan on this team.  I think he has been trying to get value for him for more 2 years (or more) now, and when the opportunity came up for him to turn him into a young talent like Green, and an asset like that pick, while also giving them quality depth at the center position, it was just a deal he couldn't turn down.

Danny has said many times that basketball is a 2-way game, and as important as defense is, offense is just as important.  I think he genuinely believed Green was a better overall player than Perkins now and in the future, and Krstic and the pick more than made up for any reservations he had of making the deal midseason.  

So, I think Danny would have made this trade, whether Perkins was healthy or not...and it is only partially because I have been saying he was going to trade Perkins for the last two years, and I love to be proven right.

He got tremendous value, and he was able to turn a player he was not completely sold on for one that I personally believe he really likes.

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Battier is a reserve these days and Green is a starter.  I don't think its a given that he would have scored more and rebounded more.   His averages this year certainly don't reflect that with all due respect.  What are you basing this on?  He is a career 4.7 RPG guy.  Green is a 5.7 RPG guy.  I concede he is a better shooter and passer but the rebounds I don't think he is superior to Green.  Green also is a better scorer with a 14.2 PPG as opposed to Battier's 9.7  PPG.

I loved Shane Battier and always thought he would have made a good Celtic because of his intelligence and playing style.  But he has played a lot.  Even his peak years really don't compare to favorable to Jeff Green.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shane_battier/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeff_green/career_stats.html

I think Brandan Wright has a lot of potential.  However, he doesn't look like he will ever live up to expectations.  Battier is getting up there.

I really think this trade we made helps us the most.  I don't think it hurts now as much as many of the Perk guy's here think.   I think we did well with the buyouts but I am not crazy about Sasha.  But we are doing ok with Krstic.   Murphy should help too down the road.   If the O'Neals come back I love our big depth.   But with our team age having Green is a plus and the pick next year should be a good player and I think the Clipps will limp into the playoffs next year and we will get a 11-14 pick.  I think Danny didn't hurt us now and got some possible pieces for the future or to swing the next deal.   With the lockout looming there is no telling if KG and PP or Ray will play past it.   I think we helped ourselves now and in the future.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I don't think OKC would have made the deal if Perk did not check out physically, and they certainly wouldn't have signed him to that deal if there was any indication at all that he was not going to fully recover.

My point was that he would not have fully recovered this season...not down the line. Same thought goes with Semih.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 01:40:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah I like the trade we actually did. Especially with Perks injury that would have left more uncertainty for the playoffs and i think for the future gaining a a pick (instead of losing one) and picking up a young and upcoming player is huge.

This.  

I see someone's still not over the Perk trade.  I was totally shocked at first because I love Perk, but I think we are better after this trade with a piece for the future as well.

While I'm personally flattered that you follow me into every thread saying "someone's still not over the Perk trade", I would point out that some people find it interesting to talk about alternatives other than what actually happened.  I find it odd that you seem to think that it's not legitimate to discuss stuff like this, and odder still that you'd spend your valuable time posting in such a useless thread.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
just out of curiosity: if we did the gs deal and still moved erden/gody who would we have starting at center right now, who would be the back up?

no perk, no shaq, no jo, no baby... no winning streak... no home court?

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Battier is a reserve these days and Green is a starter.  I don't think its a given that he would have scored more and rebounded more.   His averages this year certainly don't reflect that with all due respect.  What are you basing this on?  He is a career 4.7 RPG guy.  Green is a 5.7 RPG guy.  I concede he is a better shooter and passer but the rebounds I don't think he is superior to Green.  Green also is a better scorer with a 14.2 PPG as opposed to Battier's 9.7  PPG.

Green is definitely a more prolific scorer.  I don't think anybody would have said to the contrary; Battier is a significantly better shooter and is more efficient, but he scores at a lesser rate than Battier.

Green grabbed more boards overall, but when each is playing small forward, Battier is the better rebounder.  (Source: 82games.com) 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

This.  

While I'm personally flattered that you follow me into every thread saying "someone's still not over the Perk trade", I would point out that some people find it interesting to talk about alternatives other than what actually happened.  I find it odd that you seem to think that it's not legitimate to discuss stuff like this, and odder still that you'd spend your valuable time posting in such a useless thread.

Excuse me, but I haven't followed you in every thread stating that.  Perhaps you're talking about someone else?  And did I say the thread was useless?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

My point was that he would not have fully recovered this season...not down the line. Same thought goes with Semih.

I know.  And I still think if Perkins was 100% healthy, and never even got hurt last year, Danny would have made this trade. 

It was just too much value, and I just don't think he valued Perkins as much as some other people do, and I think he had little interest in paying anything close to market value for him this summer. 

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
just out of curiosity: if we did the gs deal and still moved erden/gody who would we have starting at center right now, who would be the back up?

no perk, no shaq, no jo, no baby... no winning streak... no home court?

Eddy Curry! Lol

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I know.  And I still think if Perkins was 100% healthy, and never even got hurt last year, Danny would have made this trade. 

It was just too much value, and I just don't think he valued Perkins as much as some other people do, and I think he had little interest in paying anything close to market value for him this summer. 

I agree with this. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
As a Tarheel alum, it kills me to admit it, but Battier is a helluva player and teammate.  Celts keep Perk and get Battier for nothing...

The Celtics defense would of been upgraded, Perk would still be patrolling the post and Battier would of gave fits to Bron Bron and the Mamba.

You guys talk about Jeff Green's intangibles as being a great teammate, Battier is that guy with experience and a way better jump shot.

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
As a Tarheel alum, it kills me to admit it, but Battier is a helluva player and teammate.  Celts keep Perk and get Battier for nothing...

The Celtics defense would of been upgraded, Perk would still be patrolling the post and Battier would of gave fits to Bron Bron and the Mamba.

You guys talk about Jeff Green's intangibles as being a great teammate, Battier is that guy with experience and a way better jump shot.

How is that nothing?  They likely have to give up 2 first round picks to get him, if the rumors are true.

It might not be a big hit to this years team, but that is a lot to give up for the future of the franchise.